Replacing Gaskets

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
My kit didn't come with a gasket for the carb elbow to motor connection. And my lower gasket, the one between cylinder and lower motor, wasn't installed correctly at factory so it leaked. I ordered a replacement kit.
But since I've never worked on cars/trucks/etc., I have no idea how to put them on...silly I know, but teach me. Do I just lay the gasket in place them bolt the two parts together, or is there some kind of adhesive I need to use?
Thanks in advance.

PS. Thanks to my bike, some friends, some neighbors, and some students of mine are buying and building their own motor bicycles(^)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
some people like to use gasket poo on their gaskets I don't. I make my own gaskets from quality gasket material I get from a gasket shop(scraps) that they throw away. I make the head gasket from a high temp material that is a type of fiber instead of dead soft aluminum. I use aluminum spray paint on both sides of the head gasket, metal or fiber, and install it while its still tacky and use a good torque wrench for the head bolts. check your surfaces with a straight edge to make sure they a true. file or sand the mating faces so the gasket will seal. I have a post showing me using wet/dry sand paper on a sheet of glass to mate the sealing faces on the head and the cylinder where it mates to the head.
Norman

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
As for me NO I don't use an adhesive on all my gaskets and I limit the rtv use. There is a time and a place for everything something you will have to learn by trial and error and expensive mistakes like I've done:-||. One example my Harley sportster tranny was trashed by me sealing up the chain case with rtv, it didn't leak anymore but the small bogers of rtv found its way into the oil galleys of the main shaft of my tranny results were fried mainshaft and a long metal grinding and worrisome ride over 100 miles to home in no where Wyoming years ago.