which frame would be an ideal?

GoldenMotor.com

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Hello, My name is Jerome Cain, new member of Motorized Bicycle Forums you might know me thru "Introduce myself" So, I introduced myself. I want to start with the frame to talk about an ideal for the motorized to befitted into the bicycle. I noticed people use 26" or 24"mountain bike and 26" or 20" beach cruiser but where is 24" beach cruiser? I pictured in my mind that I would like to go for the old school motorized bicycle? Any body got a old school motorized bicycle to show? Any else better than Motorized Bicycle's stock gas tank? because it looked bored. Welcome to slap me as new member of Motorized Bicycle Forums. :)dance1

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Nobody is short enough for the 24"...except Bairdco.

Just kidding Baird =)

I think the biggest reason people use 26" is because without messing with gearing you'll get more top speed out of one (1 revolution of a 26" goes just a bit further than a 24").

As for gastanks, you can check your local motorcycle salvage yard and maybe come up with something. Or do some fiberglass work on a stock tank. Or just weld up your own.
I did some fiberglass work on my stock tank and it came out like this.

tank.jpg

Last edited:

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Bairdo, I noticed your 24" frame. the Tube under the tube is sort of,... eye sore? The size is perfectly. I am six feet and 170lbs. Understood about two beers. LOL! Thanks...

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Maxvision, Thanks for reply. I am impressed with your fiverglass on the stock fuel tank. I think it s harmless top do that,... It telling me that I got to make one like yours,... Easy to do the fiverglass but smelly!!! ugh,... ha! I will keep you in post about design gas tank. BTW, I like your style of motorized bicycle. High End looks because it is! Ha...

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Leftywood, is it 24" or,...? 26" looked right to me really,... I can fix to have it simple without have any kind trouble with gears and etc. We will see from there. I will go for 24" frame but beach or mountain. I will make decision soon. Thanks!!!

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maxvision, Thanks for reply. I am impressed with your fiverglass on the stock fuel tank. I think it s harmless top do that,... It telling me that I got to make one like yours,... Easy to do the fiverglass but smelly!!! ugh,... ha! I will keep you in post about design gas tank. BTW, I like your style of motorized bicycle. High End looks because it is! Ha...
Here's a little "how to" for customizing a stock tank w/ fiberglass. Yes, neighbors might complain about the smell but I actually like it. Reminds me of my surfing days...

P.S. Thanks for the compliments on the bike, flattery will get you everywhere!

Custom-shaped-tank.jpg

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
eyesore? whatever. sorry it's not the tired old cantilever style like schwinn and their millions of copycatters.

i think it's freakin' gorgeous.

i believe the reason there's not too many people riding 24's, is because there's not that many around. never were. only recently have companies started to mass produce cheap chinese 24's. probably for chicks. but they're still junk, in my opinion.

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Maxvision and bairdo, "V" frame would be an ideal as for now because of ridley's and JIM's real expensive. Beach cruiser would be cool looks but the front tube part would be hassle and the rear looked so curve like a dog is scare that got tail under,... but Electra bike's rear is straight and stretch,... One day, I will try unless I have enough money. I think I should get two frames for now to compare between them. The one would be 24" and one would be 26" that way I can get to see the two different and which one would be perfectly. I am working on find 24 and 26 now,... Now, I will make a post about the wheel. Can I use rear 24" and use 26" front maybe 27" maybe 28"? I would like to see it as low and dig like old school bike, rear is 15 or 16 and front would be 19 or 21,... Front wheel should be large and thin tire and the rear wheel thick such as 2.1 size. What do you think? see you over the post about the an idea of right size wheel for the low custom like an easy rider,...? Thanks again!

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
You should just go to a bike shop and look at the 24" and 26" frames. See how much clearance you'd have for changing wheel sizes. If you get a 24" frame and want to put a bigger tire on the front you might need to switch out forks from a larger bike to accomodate the larger wheel. If you look at Baird's bike, there's not much clearance on his front fork to put a larger wheel. If you got a 26" frame you could put a smaller tire on the back and maybe a 27" or 28" tire on the front if you wanted to. I've got a springer front end on my 26" frame. I could fit a 28" tire on that if I wanted to.

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Thanks to people who made a comment. I will keep in mind on wheel issue. Bairdo, Where can I find the photo of your bicycle? That way, I can get an idea about forks issue. I am curious,... Sorry for being so curious!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you can find the complete build up history of my bike here: http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html

i don't think it'll help you with fork and tire sizes, though.

for a bigger wheel in front, you could always get a larger fork (ie; a 26" fork on a 24" frame,) but that would do weird things to your steering unless you "raked" it out or something.

most fendered bikes will accomodate a larger wheel, like a 26 on a 24, as long as you leave the fenders off. that's why some cruisers look so naked without fenders, there's nothing to take up that space.

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Bairdo! Thanks for the link to yours where I can get to take a look at it and observe. Must tell you that they are nice taste with nice composition of it really. I enjoyed look at it. I liked your springer forks,... I could not find the springer like yours. Do you creative it? Yes, Understood about the sizes of the wheel which should be a proper to use. I told myself a clear it is all matter is the rake. I agreed with you about it. The bicycle's neck is more like 30 degree. it would be fun to have at least 40 degree,...? We will see from there what we can do... The front wheel ought to be little more far out from the neck part to get it low little bit and the steer should be fine,... I do not want go back to 70's where the front frame went sort of too high and handle the large wheel. Ha! Just post my video on youtube Got to post it over the photo and video gallery. See you there! Again, Thanks...

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Nobody is short enough for the 24"...except Bairdco.

Just kidding Baird =)

I think the biggest reason people use 26" is because without messing with gearing you'll get more top speed out of one (1 revolution of a 26" goes just a bit further than a 24").

As for gastanks, you can check your local motorcycle salvage yard and maybe come up with something. Or do some fiberglass work on a stock tank. Or just weld up your own.
I did some fiberglass work on my stock tank and it came out like this.

View attachment 19333
How hard, and expensive is it to do that tank? I love that look, and wanna do it on my cruiser