High Idle...!!!

GoldenMotor.com

mike373

Jun 16, 2008
First off..... I'm hooked on this damn thing!! Finished my build this weekend...and took some residential cruises. My question involves idle speed. From what I have read, the screw on the carb adjusts the idle speed. As I was cruizing at a fast idle, I was adjusting the carbs screw and it didnt seem to make any difference in speed.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome Mike to the forum :D

Yeah some of these idel screw's just don't work, I'm lucky mine work's fine. Maybe it is working but you have your throttle cable too tight and your throttle slide is not going all the way down. Adjust on top of the carb, hopefully this is what it is.

Hope this was some help
:ride:

mike373

Jun 16, 2008
Thank you fairracing31....

Yeah....I have the cable end adjusted all the way down at the carb....but I was thinking the same thing about the slide not being all the way down. Could it be possible that the throttle cable is too short?

Mike

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I would try adjusting the cable at the top of the carb completely one way then completely the other if nothing changes then I would think you might have a cable problem. remove the cable end from the throttle handle on the bars to see if that helps if it does then you are probably right the cable could be too short.

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
You can also check the fitting where the cable attatches to the throttle handle. Also check for air leaks around the manifold.

mike373

Jun 16, 2008
Well guys...... I think the problem is an air leak. I had the bike (high)idling with the clutch in, while I sprayed some brake cleaner around the carb clamp... It stopped the engine dead. I think it is safe to assume that I have an air leak....eh??? So tomorrow after work.... I shall buy some rtv and do it up.

Mike