Felt??? and Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub question

GoldenMotor.com

thunderchicken

Aug 30, 2013
Fresno Ca.
Help, need bike identified and suggestions on motor and hub

I got what I believe is a Felt frame with the gas tank built into the frame primed but needs a little work. with 1 and an 1/8th inch head tube. It came with a 24 inch rear aluminum rim with a S.A 3 speed coaster brake hub its the SRC3 with a 3inch Thick brick tire and a 26 inch front rim with a Joy industrial co. LTD Drum Brake and a Quick Brick 2.125 tire all stored correctly and not to old, no cracking on the rubber. 2 extra rear tires, fenders, chain guard, rear rack, and two parts of a springer front fork I just need the spring and fork bar I guess it would be called that goes through the head tub, local shop only has 1" can't find 1 1/8th locally. It also came with one piece cranks, some chains, one for the bike. Also I think a 415 or 420, and a muffler. I traded it all for a pressure washer that I got for free from a friend. I think I came away with the better deal.
I have some questions? Is it a felt and if so what model and how old? Or if not what is the thing? I attached pictures. Please if someone has built one or has a link to a finished one so I can see what it looks like built. I know its kind of a clean slate and I could go a lot of different directions with the build but I just would like something for a reference. Also I am wanting to go with a Jack Shaft and a 80cc motor with a Fred's head with pressure release valve, a dellno carb. or whatever its called... I am also going to balance the crank shaft and lobe within acceptable tolerances to reduce vibration. My question is, will that hub hold up against that kind of motor? I like the idea of 3 speeds without a derailleur. Astatically that would be very clean. But I have some concerns with life expectancy and such with the hub.
I included a picture of my first build a Diamond Back Della Cruz 1 it has the 1 1/8th head tube springer front end like the one I need for this one. I port matched the intake and exhaust and put a expansion chamber with a little muffler on the end so its not as loud those three little mods about doubled the top end speed. I just need to lengthen the intake for a little more bottom end torch. and...and.....and.... I am always wanting more lol.... does it ever end? I hope not, building these things is half the fun.

drn2

laff

Attachments

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Aug 30, 2013
Fresno Ca.
"Ask our experts here for advice on what motorized bicycle engines perform well on what bicycles".???? Can anyone direct me to the correct thread in here to find some answers. I would just like to know who made it? What would be good to put on it using the rear hub/rim. If what I suggested as to what I wanted to do is not practical or unreasonable please by all means I would love to hear some suggestions. How about this? (In your opinion) if I said here this is yours do what you want with it? What would you do with it and why? I am new and of course want to go fast. Doesn't everyone? lol I don't know what it was designed for I think is my problem. Anyways, maybe I did not ask the appropriate questions. Hope that helps someone open up and let the info flow because I am at a loss.

.shft.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
"Ask our experts here for advice on what motorized bicycle engines perform well on what bicycles".???? Can anyone direct me to the correct thread in here to find some answers. I would just like to know who made it? What would be good to put on it using the rear hub/rim. If what I suggested as to what I wanted to do is not practical or unreasonable please by all means I would love to hear some suggestions. How about this? (In your opinion) if I said here this is yours do what you want with it? What would you do with it and why? I am new and of course want to go fast. Doesn't everyone? lol I don't know what it was designed for I think is my problem. Anyways, maybe I did not ask the appropriate questions. Hope that helps someone open up and let the info flow because I am at a loss.

.shft.
OK then, in my opinion as anyone who might know me would tell you to 4-Stroke it! You can put a 212cc Harbor Freight 4-stroke in that Felt aluminum frame, but why? BTW, I love Felts!

If it were mine I'd simply put a 79cc HF 4-stroke in it cuz it would go fast, climb hills, run reliably and they are readily available and cheap. Easy for me to say and do, but that's the way I like to motorize my builds for the most part.

As for you're Della Cruz....I have access to one if I want and really like the unique aluminum frame design for a cantilever cruiser frame, but there is not really enough room for a 4-stroke engine larger that 35cc.....plain and simple. I'll keep my mouth shut about the peanut tank on yours as I just hate those tanks.....nuff said.

That's all I've got for you, sorry for the lack of help. Four stroke for longevity and peace of mind.....oh, and the thumper sound!

.wee.

(sorry....I'm no expert ;) )

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Looks like a Felt from what I can see. You might try the search function on the forum because I know there have been a lot of Felt builds 2 cycle and 4 stroke. You might try searching for Venice or Norm, or Scotto, or Velodrome, or by model (1903, Deep 6, etc) and see what interests you. I have built a Felt 1903 as a 2 cycle then rebuilt it as a 4 stroke. I prefer the 4 stroke for the torque.

This was the bike last year with a 49cc and Fred's intake and a Dax carb and some SBP billet goodies. Not that it wasn't pretty....

And this was yesterday....

thunderchicken

Aug 30, 2013
Fresno Ca.
Wow, okay ty so much. I noticed when painting the chain guard it said 1903 on it or used to. 4 stroke it is. and the peanut tank came with it cant find anything local so I am actually going to a buddies house and am going to start on fabricating a tank that fits in the space between top and cross tube like you have yours scotto. ty again. What did u use for the tank? I was thinking a foam mold and fiberglass then acetone it to eat the mold?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Wow, okay ty so much. I noticed when painting the chain guard it said 1903 on it or used to. 4 stroke it is. and the peanut tank came with it cant find anything local so I am actually going to a buddies house and am going to start on fabricating a tank that fits in the space between top and cross tube like you have yours scotto. ty again. What did u use for the tank? I was thinking a foam mold and fiberglass then acetone it to eat the mold?
Man o' man.....yer catching on quick! I just used some 4" square aluminum tubing that was 1/8" thick for the gas tanks on both bike pictured above. They were very easy to make but must be TIG welded together.

Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of how I did mine....

thunderchicken

Aug 30, 2013
Fresno Ca.
Very clean.....My buddy doesn't have a TIG just wire feed. another ? if you don't mind? your seat posts are both different but lay back. It looks like from your engineering skills the first one is of your making and the second one probably also do u just wing it or did u have any cad or drawings to go from? My ass already hangs back off the seat now. just need to get the seat under it. any help would be appreciated. I am going to look in the DIY forum now.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Very clean.....My buddy doesn't have a TIG just wire feed. another ? if you don't mind? your seat posts are both different but lay back. It looks like from your engineering skills the first one is of your making and the second one probably also do u just wing it or did u have any cad or drawings to go from? My ass already hangs back off the seat now. just need to get the seat under it. any help would be appreciated. I am going to look in the DIY forum now.
Actually the first one on the green bike was made by a member here a few years ago named kip harley, unfortunately he doesn't make them anymore. On the other hand, the second one on the blue bike I did just wing it as I used 3/16" steel instead of 3/8" I thought I was using, thus the suspension addition to post that was necessary to keep it from breaking (eventually) laff.

I did modify Kip's seat post by adding on to the seat tube that extends all the way down to the bottom bracket in the seat tube for extra strength for mounting the jack shaft and such.

dnut

thunderchicken

Aug 30, 2013
Fresno Ca.
sorry for all the questions. so your brake is on the jack shaft and its only a single speed? so its a brake shaft really? on your blue monster. I like the fork headset and bars. Reminds me of my old CR125....Also I know very little about 4 strokes but what is the bottle with the blue tube from the crank case to the bottle then a breather filter under the seat? Crank case breather apparatus? Johnny Quest scuba emergency water landing kit? Noz? lol

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
sorry for all the questions. so your brake is on the jack shaft and its only a single speed? so its a brake shaft really? on your blue monster. I like the fork headset and bars. Reminds me of my old CR125....Also I know very little about 4 strokes but what is the bottle with the blue tube from the crank case to the bottle then a breather filter under the seat? Crank case breather apparatus? Johnny Quest scuba emergency water landing kit? Noz? lol
Yes, the rear brake rotor is mounted on the jack shaft and the bike is a single speed with a 2-disc centrifugal clutch. It will be a powerful shaft mounted rear disc brake if I ever mount the caliper for it lol.

Felt handlebars and a Pig FST 1-1/8" threadless head set.

The bottle is just an oil catch can for the crank case and valve cover breathers that's vented with a UNI filter under the seat. Johnny Quest is prolly before your time lol. And NOS it is not ;)

.wee.