Predator 670cc V Twin bike

GoldenMotor.com

ickda

Sep 13, 2016
Michigan
ignoring most of you rant, yes adrenaline is life, next on the list is suspension, cant you add it the bad dog frame? why not just say I need to figure suspension to the list of things it will need?

any other safety thing I over looked?
so for 80 is the 670 over kill? will the 420 do this? if so how to get the 420 up there?

Last edited:

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Now you're talking. That is a Honda XL70 frame. The swingarm, forks, and wheels from an XR125 will bolt right up, if you want full size wheels. The frame will handle 80 mph. It will not accept the HF V-twin engine, but a much better engine will bolt right in: a Piranha 140. The 140 is designed for motorcycles, has a built in clutch and transmission, and has enough power to both accelerate well and maintain highway speeds. It is also quite a bit cheaper than the Predator V-twin: a little over $400 including shipping.
The XL70 is street legal, and the seller of that frame is offering a bill of sale. So if you ever decide to register it, you could do so. If your home state is too stringent, Vermont would be happy to register it and send you a tag. No title necessary because Vermont doesn't require a title for motorcycles under 300cc or over 15 years old. This frame qualifies on both counts.
How do I know so much about this bike? Because I built one, and ride it regularly:

You could also build it as a chopper, as in this picture. This one is an SL70, which is pretty much the same bike with a different name.

ickda

Sep 13, 2016
Michigan
So many options, but you do talk a lot of cents, dont plan on even getting a divers license, registering it would be a issue.
also for legal issue of driving even a car like that, is technically legal, freedom of travel, forgot the amendment but it is in the constitution.
though I feel like the more cycle this turns into the more I find that this fourm is ill suited, though with people like you I might not be that lost.
fits better in the budget also.

so many choices.......

also I do recommend and encorege most people to not bother with a license, on my family name, Felix~
also no it dose not lower diver accidents, just look at 1st time drive enssurence and accidents rates....
to much politics, more bikes..... dools

ickda

Sep 13, 2016
Michigan
I wasent, the internet makes me go over kill on defence, meh

can that engen you recommended really go as fast as I needed, it seems much lower cc's then the engens I was looking at...

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Lower cc, but double the rpm. That V-twin is an industrial engine, not a motorcycle engine. It doesn't have a transmission, and you can't afford the Harley big twin transmission that you might be able to cobble up to work with it. About the only other option would be a CVT, which is about $300 in a size that will work with that engine. And a CVT wastes a lot of power.
The Piranha 140 makes about 12 hp, but it is much lighter and has a manual clutch and 4 speed transmission built in. I don't even have the 140; mine is a 125 with the small valve head (the 140 has a big valve head). My 125 only does about 8 hp, and I have it geared low for offroad use. But it will still do 55 mph on the highway. So yeah, a 140 with a sprocket chosen for road use will definitely do highway speeds.

ickda

Sep 13, 2016
Michigan
so what other parts besides the frame would you recommend for such a build?
this is starting to look more and more fesable then I intaly thought.
I pretty sure with a wrench and few weeks of tears and blood that I could cobble it together, I just dont know the parts needed to bring such a thing to life.
If I new what I needed that would go a long ways, maybe a few videos to help me along
hmm this discussion is going to inspire a few YouTube searches to say the least.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Get the frame and engine, and I'll be happy to help you find the other stuff to fit it. Basically you will need wheels with brakes and axles, swingarm with bearings and bolt, forks with triple tree and a handlebar. And a gas tank. You can get a new plastic tank intended for a KTM 50 for about $35.
All the used parts I just listed are very readily available, so you don't have to buy everything at once.

ickda

Sep 13, 2016
Michigan
okay that will be sweet, Ill start stocking up on parts, I cant belive you could go 80 so cheaply, I will update this in a mounth or two, Ill watch a few more youtube vids to get a idea of what ill need
thanks
~james

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
You can build up a powerful 212cc hf motor that will take you to 80 for a little more than the twin. Problem is that at higher speeds you get other problems, the bouncing rear end for one. But whatever. Build it! You won't find any forum well suited to a project like this and you probably will never meet another person with a custom like this out on the road. Your best bet I think is the DIY section here and others, you kinda have to look for the customs.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Good idea on the motorcycle. The 670 is good for tractors and equipment, but on a mini bike, I don't think it would be very well suited. At any rate, a minibike on the freeway is asking for trouble. I get that you're not about licensing and all (I don't like it either). But something like that would most certainly have to get registered, like it or not.

(For your viewing pleasure)
https://youtu.be/a-JHykDIPAw

ickda

Sep 13, 2016
Michigan
Thanks guys for all the support, Also I might get it registered but they can shove the inserence, license and all other tape up there bums. I will not submit to my freedom hindered by bills that I can not offored to pay, nor should anyone ever need to be treated like traveling is a privilege, it is our freedom.
Soon i a plan to ship it and fix it up, payed 200 bucks for it. Not running but who cares. It will sooner or later.

ickda

Sep 13, 2016
Michigan
It seems from what Wikipedia says it is points, though it seem's the origanle owner parted that motor out to fix a 250cc engine, though I will have access to both engines. I can not tell if I want to fix the old one or try to get the newer one., in his words, a few tiers newer, working.
What do you think? was he bing foolish to use a smaller engine for part for a slightly bigger block?

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
No. I'm not 100% sure, but it's probably the same engine block with just a different piston and cylinder, and/or maybe a different crank.
If you can get the newer one, it would probably be a good idea. Not because it's newer but because it's always good to have a spare engine. Especially if he says it's a working engine.
But even then I would check the compression of the engine that is in the bike, and get it running first if there are no major problems. Just because it's already in the bike.