what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

IMO it's a pretty nice seat. It IS heavy though, so if you're worried about weight...well..lol It seems like it's almost twice the weight of the stock seat.
laff You obviously haven't actually SEEN my bike.It already weighs a couple tons.
(And did you NOTICE my sign in name?)laff
I don't think a few pounds is gonna make a difference.
fatdaddy.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

well after my hellacious journey in the rain, seems my supposed 20 fix ended up not happening because my hub is destroyed...even with the new bearings it still wouldnt roll...so 37.79 miles later and im still without a ride...and there isnt public transportation out here in the boondys...except a metro rail that runs every 3 hours in the wrong direction...no back wheel=no runs...and of course its gonna be like 50 degrees all dang week

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana

Put the #66 jet in my Carb today, Then put about 20 miles on it. I can now see why people like these things. Most of the vibrations are gone, it runs a lot better, only 4 cycles at low RPMs. The vibrations are low enough that my bum didn't tingle after the ride, and I can see a car behind me through the mirror. I do believe a person can ride all day.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I like that spark plug wrench, you should stamp it OEM!

Today I did not drop a freshly parted part in the mud, but I did weld back what I cut too short for lack of light last time I was grinding a part.

I also was wondering what was going on if my generator was causing my welder to act funny. I though I was keeping an even distance from work with nozzle. It might have been that the two parts varied small amount of distance as the work was "V" ground to allow for full penetration. Maybe small distance changes happen as I waved the nozzle side to side instead of parallel in line to the work. I'll try that next time instead of doing both.

Occasionally I saw the weld wire molten ball at the end of the wire by the work creep closer to the nozzle. It eventually was quicker than I could react by pulling the nozzle back and I welded a tip on my MIG. I had lots of extra spares and it didn't happen again.

I finished grinding and sanding my adjustable slots for my twin stacked jackshafts and shall be assembling it all once again so belts don't slip.

MT

.weld

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

Found a donor bike today...exact same size and dimensions tires that ineed and already took the wheels off for a bearings check up before I swap the 40toother to it...and the tires and brakes are absolutely brand new....thats a bonus...still going to get a set of those heavy duty rims from the swap and shop section...great price and for the quality...dance1

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Found a donor bike today...exact same size and dimensions tires that ineed and already took the wheels off for a bearings check up before I swap the 40toother to it...and the tires and brakes are absolutely brand new....thats a bonus...still going to get a set of those heavy duty rims from the swap and shop section...great price and for the quality...dance1
You must mean these: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=446940#post446940

An awesome value and very well made.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

Exactly my point gn...and the guy said he probably won't ever sell out and if he does he can get more...hope I can scrounge 50$

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

It wasn't today, it was yesterday, but I replaced the wire connectors on the battery that powers my brake light. Its a 7.2v nicad battery from an r/c car, and I just bring it in my house and wall-charge it every so often. When I first rigged it up for my brake light, the wire connections were not the best, due to the fact that I had removed the original connectors and used them for something else. So I put male/female connectors on them, and also put matching female connectors on the wall chargin unit. Now I can quickly and easily disconnect the battery and bring it inside for charging, and it sits in the inside flap of my saddlebag when its on the bike. So thats a big plus for me right there.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I did something like that to my bike a while ago Big. The difference is that my 12V battery is mounted in my side case. I put quick connects coming off my battery and charger so I could just plug in in instead of trying to use the chargers cheapo clips. I've had those just fall off after I leave so it's not charging, ALL NIGHT. I just found out that my battery lasts about a month, cause that how long I didn't charge it before it started going dead.
I also FINALLY got my suspension forks on. I'll take a pic later today. It looks GOOD.
fatdaddy.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

So yesterday I got another back rim from a donor bike. I was going to swap my 40tooth to it but decided to install the 44 that came with the fh kit. Got the wheel ready to go, then realized that the banana plates dont line up at all in any configuration. I tried anyways and got the bolts through. But no matter how I tighten it the overlap throws off the balance and the rear sprocket wobbles...no amount of tightening and patterning has solved this...I've contacted the vendor and see where it goes...oh and apparently 1700 miles on a sprocket has a tendency to work harden the bolts into a locked position...without thread locker...so the 40toother is a no swap for now...and I'm still without a bike to ride...going to build a cardboard engine mock up and see if I can squeeze a kit into my 1950 jc higgins 20"er...:-||

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

So yesterday I got another back rim from a donor bike. I was going to swap my 40tooth to it but decided to install the 44 that came with the fh kit. Got the wheel ready to go, then realized that the banana plates dont line up at all in any configuration. I tried anyways and got the bolts through. But no matter how I tighten it the overlap throws off the balance and the rear sprocket wobbles...no amount of tightening and patterning has solved this...I've contacted the vendor and see where it goes...oh and apparently 1700 miles on a sprocket has a tendency to work harden the bolts into a locked position...without thread locker...so the 40toother is a no swap for now...and I'm still without a bike to ride...going to build a cardboard engine mock up and see if I can squeeze a kit into my 1950 jc higgins 20"er...:-||
There are (at least that I know of,) 2 different sizes of bolt hole diameters on the sprockets. This also means that there are 2 sizes of back plates and mounting rubbers. I don't know why, but I found out the hard way. I've MADE different sizes work together when I had no choice, but it wasn't easy.
fatdaddy.
Work harden the bolts my A**. I use them over and over till they strip out.

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

There are (at least that I know of,) 2 different sizes of bolt hole diameters on the sprockets. This also means that there are 2 sizes of back plates and mounting rubbers. I don't know why, but I found out the hard way. I've MADE different sizes work together when I had no choice, but it wasn't easy.
fatdaddy.
Work harden the bolts my A**. I use them over and over till they strip out.
And thats what is happening with the old bolts...the nuts spin but dont loosen...and im out of dremel cut off wheels for the moment...