alternative energy

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
do any of you all know much about or use solar, wind or any other alternative energy platforms for your home, business, vehicles or bikes. if so please share them on our sister site http://nature2energy.com/ I have ignored the site and trying to get it going again, thank you in advance

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Well there are spin generators, also solar chargers for cell phones. I saw one charger that is a battery pack but uses solar to extend the life of the charge stored in the battery. Items such as these make many things possible with smart phone and bicycle cell phone holders. Build a simple bridge and a spin generator could also put charge back into a battery pack. Then you'll never have to worry about your smart dying on you while you're riding.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well...
I have a solar charged, battery operated landscape light that I bought at Walmart.
Usually it just provides a decent glow over the backyard every night. During the last night time power outage I propped it up in the living room so it shone on the ceiling.
While not particularly bright like a regular lamp, when your eyes got used to it the light was more than adequate to illuminate the whole room.
I now have 3 of the lights for just this purpose.

As for something worthy of an alternative energy forum subject, I don't know if all the above really qualifies.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm thinking about getting panels for my home. Cost about $12k. During the day when electricity is the most expensive, I can sell it back to PG&E and use my electric at night when it's cheaper. The other way is having batteries but I heard its more expensive and could raise your insurance because the risk of fires.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Batteries are a rip off.
They will never pay for them selves.
If you can sell back to the grid, for a reasonable amount!, solar can be a worthwhile investment, If you live in a sunny area!
I have spent 10 years on solar and batteries, living in the rainforest. I have recently moved to where I now have mains power. I happily pay the bill!
No more generator back up, no more paying $150 every 3 months for gas hot water, no more $8k battery bank that has a 10 year life span, and as much power as I want any time I want.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Batteries are a rip off.
They will never pay for them selves.
If you can sell back to the grid, for a reasonable amount!, solar can be a worthwhile investment, If you live in a sunny area!
I have spent 10 years on solar and batteries, living in the rainforest. I have recently moved to where I now have mains power. I happily pay the bill!
No more generator back up, no more paying $150 every 3 months for gas hot water, no more $8k battery bank that has a 10 year life span, and as much power as I want any time I want.
Good on ya Mate...life is quite sunny in far northern Queensland! And sub-tropical too.

.wee.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Not sub tropical or sunny,
This is the Wet Tropics!
6 to 8 Meters of rain a year, So over 20 Ft.
We can get 1 1/2 Ft of rain in 24 hrs.
And February through April is the wettest.
I like the rain, I just wish I had a bigger workshop.
My old workshop was 9M x 12M.
I now have 4M x 4M. But am trying to get a 6M x 9M workshop built.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
The Daintree. I was in Cape Tribulation for about 20 years, recently moved a little closer to town.
Love it here, I don't like the cold, or the bright lights.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Will post over there but;

I've yet to finish this but have a 3 panel solar unit charging spare batteries. It's sole purpose is to be charging batteries that will heat/cool my shop by sucking air through a 6 or 8" x 200 ft pipe. The pipe will be 18" below ground.

The air will be around 58F year round. When it is 90F out side, 58 is nice! When it is below freezing, 58F is nice! And will be easier to heat to comfortable.

During the cold part of the year, the outlets will be low to the floor as heat rises. Reversed, higher to cool.

Last edited: