weedeater bicycle engine

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
does anyone know where I can find a set of directions to build a friction drive setup on a weedeater engine conversion

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It's really not that hard to build one. I know you could make a spindle drive with a clutch. There was one bike at the last race that had that set-up. Check out DDM. I'm sure they have the set up. I'll look around and see what I can dig up.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh man I didn't think I would ever see those drive wheels again thanks a lot. I bought one on ebay once and never say any again. I appreciate that site I will slip around on it later.

I'm sure there will be plenty said and asked about this project. I bought an engine last night on ebay.

Ryobi 31 cc weed wacker engine - eBay (item 220216179314 end time Mar-30-08 19:59:27 PDT)

I figured out from the picture and the picture of one that was complete that the fuel tank is missing. It would have been nice if I had known that BEFORE i bid on it. I think I have one around here but It i probably shaped wrong. Sitll Im most likely going to remove the case anyway. I can probably make it work.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay now down to the nitty and gritty... it looks as though several things are missing(of course)

no centrifical clutch so here is my question for you guys. If worst comes to worst, Does this sound reasonable...

1. I can lift the engine and start it. Let it warm up till the choke is off, then i can kill it with the kill switch.

2. hook the engine down with the spring while it in NOT running.

3. pedal off and set the accelerator then throw the kill switch which should start the engine and off I go.

4. When I need to stop throttle down then at the point where I would throw the clutch, activate the kill switch. Engine dies and I have a little bit of drag to help stop the bike.

5. When I pull away throw the kill switch and the bike should drag start.

I might also rig a cable to the choke so I don't have to pull start the engine at all.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd just pull start it, then pedal off and let the clutch out.

Or...do what you outlined, as either would work.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It doesn't look as thought he centrifical clutch is still attached to the motor. If it is I probably will try to fix the pull starter. If it isn't there I might not even bother to fix the pull starter.

daviddabikeist

Jul 11, 2009
australia
YouTube - how to make a homemade motorized bicycle

thats your anwser but hang on the mount is crap you can use mine if u want first buy a metal plate then drill 2 holes according to where the screws are attached in the muffler.

depending on how thick the plate is you may need longer screws and yep thats pretty much it.. i was wondering if you had any spare working motors please? message back if you do

good luck david.

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
ummm i have a question i am new to this site and this idea of weedeater powered bikes, but if you dont have a clutch on your weedeater...mine is a 21cc featherlite...will you be able to push start it or would you need the pull start left on with the shroud? any ideas please let me know