Gas tank tempereture

GoldenMotor.com

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
Gas tank temperature

I have to ride my bike to work, and only safe place to leave my bike there is very sunny. Isn't it dangerous to leave black gas tank full of gas on the sun for couple of hours? Should I cover it by something blocking sun?

Last edited:

midatlanticcycle

Apr 14, 2009
leola, pa.
it will be safe but a white cover/towel is excellent idea. make sure the vent is open on the tank cap. i've seen a few of the factory caps with the vent obscured. no vent means bigtime tank pressure build up and either flooding/starvation of fuel to the carb

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
Vent? I'm sure there is some spring inside the cap, but i'n not sure if this is the vent or close mechanism only. I have to check it. I think there should be some pressure protection, but i'm not sure, that's why I've asked.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Respuesta: Gas tank tempereture

there should be a very small hole in the top of the lid that is 24/7 open. it should be size of about pencil lead (graphite) or smaller

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Re: Gas tank temperature

I have to ride my bike to work, and only safe place to leave my bike there is very sunny. Isn't it dangerous to leave black gas tank full of gas on the sun for couple of hours? Should I cover it by something blocking sun?
The gas WILL NOT explode from being in the sun!!! It takes a spark to ignite it.

I was watching some show, & a motorcycle cop was talking about how when they ride the bikes in a parade, the engine heat will make the gas in the tank boil!!!

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
You know now that I think of it a vent on the tank is not important in regards to flamability. And technically speaking your fuel will expand and become closer to a vaporous state the warmer it is. Meaning your fuel is more efficient when it is at higher temps. So while I wouldn't encourage the heat I wouldn't discourage it either.