My electric start full suspension predator 212 build

GoldenMotor.com

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
Hey guys just wanted to show you guys my latest build its a full suspension, electric start predator 212. I have a lot more pics but am still in the process of uploading them. Let me know what you think

Attachments

Reactions: maciver02

grathado

Sep 28, 2015
mississippi
omg man this is so cool, did you make the frame?! how fast does it go? would you say in accelerates as fast more fast then a 2 stroke 66cc? lol sorry for bombing you with questions

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
I used a section from a beach cruiser frame and made the rest. I attached some pics of the frame coming together. The gear ratios arnt right it's geared way to tall so it's tough to tell once it's geared down it will destroy a 2 stroke.

Attachments

Last edited:

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
It didn't fit in my standard beach cruiser frame I had to cut the two small tubes out to get it to fit. I know there are some frames out there that it fits in without cutting the frame

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
It didn't fit in my standard beach cruiser frame I had to cut the two small tubes out to get it to fit. I know there are some frames out there that it fits in without cutting the frame

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Do you have any closeups of how you mounted the engine?

How is the engine running with it rotated so much compared to before? It looks almost 90* from normal orientation.

Did you overfill the oil?

I really want to do something like this on my next build..I have a 212 just sitting here...

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
Yea I over filled the engine the exact amount I need still isn't dialed in. I put just under a quart in and it's deff over filled. To mount the engine I just welded a plate in at a angle and the boxed it in. The front aluminum bracket on the left side of the bike is also a motor mount.

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
Why did you build that beast? Similar answer that came from the man who was asked why are you climbing that mountain probably applies. Is it strictly a racetrack vehicle? What's its purpose in life.

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
The other bike in my pictures was my first build and I got hooked. And then happened to stumble upon another predator 212 build and decided that looks like fun let's try one of those next. The project def got carried away a bit. I live downtown Newport ri for those that know the area and they are by far the best means of transportation around the city. I restore cars and build hot rods for a living and just like to build stuff is manly the answer haha

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Have I missed something regarding the electric start? Is there now an electric start version of the 212 or is this something you have added on as a modification? I'm guessing this is something you have come up with on your own. Please share and explain...
very nice build!
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Your electric modification is real nice. I don't know how much is involved in the machining, but I can see a possible business opportunity for you in making them available to others who would like an electric start on a 212cc predator.
SB

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
Well it would be specific to the ultralight weight flywheel by arc that's the only thing it also has no provisions for a charging coil I wish it did but I just throw a little trickle charger on it when I'm done. Havnt ran out of battery yet. I could prob make one for about 100 bucks with hardware and the ring gear and then you would need the 100 dollar flywheel and the 40 dollar starter and hardware.

romerider153

Jul 8, 2014
newport ri
It has a geared hub. I did have a sturmey 8 speed but that lasted all of 30mins before I lost first-third so I got rid of it and now I have a Sram I-motion 3. This thing is way tougher then the 8 speed. The bike as is goes 35+ in first gear at 30% throttle I have not even shifted it yet nor have I given it full throttle.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
First I must say you have nice work done. That is the 6.5 hp, you have extra power!

About the oil you said your going to dial in, just was wondering how to figure.
I had an almost catastrophic failure with too little oil. But it came back from the brink.

Funny the pdf file for the engine with the exploded view actually has the engine of yours show sideways, just like you mounted it, unless you use some way to get the picture right side up. It was that and looking at the oil splasher fork and how in the oil sump it would actually be on your bike the way it is mounted. You do want enough oil for sure and it does look like a considerable amount extra.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/69000-69999/69730.pdf

See page 23 picture Oil sensor is also noted, Did you remove if it meant a parallel wire with kill switch stopping it from running tilted?

The breather on the engine since it has the tappets and valves way up high from the oil sump on that engine probably means extra oil does not get into the intake through the breather tube.

Be sure as the way your engine is tilted you have extra oil. I know you say you add extra oil to make sure the splasher fork at the bottom of the connecting rod clamp bolts gets into it long enough to splash oil as needed.

At one time I thought I had oil coming through the breather that sogged the airfilter starving the engine of air. Later I found it was intake valve tappet had 0 clearance. It was the gas from the carb bowl being sucked up during the compression stroke, the venturi effect shooting the gas spray the opposite way from the intake.

I have an Briggs 80202 0430 and I fit the engine tilted backward. Analyzing it and thought less oil to keep from having it get into the breather the way the old Briggs has it half way up the cylinder. It was OK with less oil, but the access to adding and removing old oil was difficult how it was mounted. I waited too long and on very hot day it was sized. Somehow I got the thing to work fine again by removing just the head and putting oil all around and trying to free up. Works fine again, wewwww!

Your Predator 212 engine and my old Briggs 3 hp don't have oil pumps, so unless they do there is no oil seal to blow out like on auto engines.

I got a replacement engine just in case I needed it, but it has a stubby 3/4 inch diameter crankshaft. I may just use it or sell it as the edger it can still be, but I can't find a way to figure the compatibility from old engine parts that maybe I can get cheap. Something about the journals, endplay.... I don't see enough info on Ebay to tell.

MT

Last edited: