Stunt bike build

GoldenMotor.com

bajambo

Feb 9, 2009
Mass
hello everyone, this is my first post and I don't know to much about the whole motor bicycle thing, but I know bicycles basically inside out and I do have some knowledge with working with engines.
And since the economy the way it is I'm not getting a motorcycle of a dirt bike so this is my next choice. and here is what I want to do. To sum it up I want a bike with I'm thinking a least a 80cc engine and a transmission. (maybe a honda xr80 motor and tranny) I want enough low end power to pop a wheelie easily with enough high end to travel at faster speeds 30 mph would make me happy but faster is always better.

please help
any idea are welcome.
thank you

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I'm not sure how much power the engine you mentioned has but just remember that bicycles are NOT motorcycles and the frames can only take so much. It would be very unfortunate to have something decide to give when you hit a bump at 30+ mph!

bajambo

Feb 9, 2009
Mass
yes, I'm aware that bicycle frames can not take as much as a motorcycle frame but this is going to be used for stunt riding, so I'm going to use a good strong frame.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
bajambo,

Not to be a kill joy but;

You may as well spare yourself the grief now and nix this idea. You would be far better off looking for a non-running motorcycle that you can restore.

The 80cc MX engines that are made by Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, produce nearly 15HP. The first time you nail the throttle in an attempt to do a wheelie; the rear wheel is going to buckle and collapse.

If you attach one of these engines to a bicycle and attempt to do stunts, wheelies...etc. It will not live through the first ride.

If you choose to do it anyway, please keep us posted with photos of your build...I've been wrong before, so if you make it work I would like to see it.

Jim

bajambo

Feb 9, 2009
Mass
yes I figured that would happen unless i swapped in a pit bike swing arm and rear wheel but I should probably just save my pennies for a pitbike or dirtbike unless someone here has done something like this and can give me some help.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
By the time you are done getting a bicycle frame to withstand what you will put it through you will have a motorcycle. Not only that you said in another post that you were not going to use the pedals.

An XR80 only weighs around 150LBS. With some after market products and stripping it down you could loose a lot of that weight.

I am not sure what type of "stunts" you plan to do, but maybe you should look into a 80cc trails bike

In the long run it might be cheaper and for sure it is much safer.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
BAJAMBO, WELCOME. MAYBE JUST BUILD A CHEAP HAPPY TIME BIKE AND ENJOY TO START WITH. THE KITS ARE SELLING ON EBAY FOR $115. WITH SHIPPING. THATS A BARGAIN, FOR SURE. GOOD LUCK, RON .wee.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
When I built a 6.5HP 196cc tricycle for a friend, it would pop wheelies REAL easy, (too easy sometimes) and go 35mph. If you can figure a way to mount a Honda Clone 6.5HP engine, that would work. Instead of a transmission, you just use a centrifugal clutch and pick your gearing wisely. If you have enough torque, you don't need a transmission with changing gears.

Since you want a trick bike, you can gear it really low to go only 30-35mph max, and take the RPM governor off to get nearly 8HP.

Electric-Start 6.5HP 196cc engine:
Gas Engine 6.5 HP OHV Electric Start | Powerland

Last edited: