gas guzzler?

GoldenMotor.com

Crysisfreak7

May 25, 2014
georgia
i filled the half gallon tank a few days ago, and since have gone maybe 20 miles probably alot less. but the tank is almost empty. the only thing i can think of that is unusual is that i had the fuel valve pointing in the opposite direction from on, i thought this was also on. why is my engine using so much gas?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Did you have a hard time starting after noticing this? If so the fuel leaked into the engine due to debris between the needle and seat or the float level is set too high. Allways turn the valve 90° to the fuel line to shut off flow.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, not turning it off will often dump fuel into the engine, but that first tank is always disappointing until engine runs in a bit - I'm often on the third tank before seeing even 60 miles out of it

Crysisfreak7

May 25, 2014
georgia
ok, so from what i just heard, the tank is empty because i forgot to shut off the valve, and because it is still in the break in period

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
While engine is in break in period it will use more fuel because things haven't loosened up yet and engine is laboring more than it will once it has a few hundred miles on it, fuel consumption is gonna be directly related to how you ride it also, if you just toodle around at moderate speeds you will see much less fuel use than if you ride like I do which is at a good clip and long distances at times at close to wide open throttle.

Just put some miles on it and remember to turn valve off when you shut her down after a ride and you'll likely see fuel use get less as it gets settled in.

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Am really curious. less then 50 MPG seems extreme. Just wondering here, Crysis but where do you park her, is there any fuel below or is the airfilter wet?

The reason I ask is I have had more then one carb with a bad float leak gas. LOL, 'cause when I remember to shut the gas off, I forget to turn it back on and get about a block or so from the house and wonder why I am bogging out.

But am thinking you should have way better MPG then that. But honestly, when stuck, I ask Map for advise. Just offering a thought.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Am really curious. less then 50 MPG seems extreme. Just wondering here, Crysis but where do you park her, is there any fuel below or is the airfilter wet?

The reason I ask is I have had more then one carb with a bad float leak gas. LOL, 'cause when I remember to shut the gas off, I forget to turn it back on and get about a block or so from the house and wonder why I am bogging out.

But am thinking you should have way better MPG then that. But honestly, when stuck, I ask Map for advise. Just offering a thought.
Been there, done that.

Was your gas cap on tight? Were the fuel lines clamped?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Yeah 50 mpg or less is a very extreme amount of fuel being used by a china girl engine, my fastest bikes that will really wind up and cruise at 40+ mph use just under 2 liters on a 35-40 mile round trip ride which I make sometimes that probably puts mine getting around 75-80 mpg at the speeds I ride, im sute if I would back off and cruise in the low 30's I'd see 90+ mpg.

But those engines have a few hundred miles on them now also.

Lol.... thanks for the atta boy on the advice stuff Dan, but you fellas and several more on here have more experience and knowledge than I on this stuff, I just try to share my personal experiences hoping it will be of some help to someone now and then, im sure you can teach me way more than I could you Dan.....

Peace, map
dnut

Crysisfreak7

May 25, 2014
georgia
gas guzzler? part 2

the previous gas guzzler thread had en expired token (or something). this is the answer to all the questions that were asked.

i think it is so low on fuel because i ride it rather fast, and because i left the valve open frequently (once all night). i dint think the carb is messed up i only get a little past the end of my street (not very far, certainly not a block) before it bogs down. there is no fuel on the floor, and the air filter is dry. i always seal the cap, and i store it in a garage (shaded) all the time.