what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I replaced the original guts of my bullet light with parts from a newer style LED light. The LED light's control/switch didn't work, but it was a donor for the LED cluster and the battery holder. The old bullet I found in a bin'o'stuff at a bike repair shop for around $3.00. Unfortunately the plastic internal parts were very brittle to begin with, and there was a lot of corrosion on the old 'spring' contacts for the batteries. The power loss on the old bullet was ridiculous. Two new 'C' cells giving 3.37v combined, and less than 2.0v were making it to the bulb. The light looked good but didn't do much more than that.

So, to widen the hole for the lamp holder in the reflector I used the dremel with a sanding drum and widened the hole a little at a time until the LED cluster would just barely slide into it. The LED cluster is epoxied in place with JB Weld.

The original switch on this old bullet was salvageable, I drilled a small hole in the tab on the off-side of the contact to solder the pos/+ lead to from the battery box. I spliced on to the old wire and connector and ran that in to the LED Unit, then neg/- to neg/- on the battery box. Soldered and heat-shrinked every connection. There's no loss now, 6.56v at both the batteries and the cluster. I wrapped the 'AAA' battery pack in some foam and packed it into the housing. When the front is closed and latched, everything is nice and firm.

The difference in brightness is staggering, can't wait to see what it's like on the road at night.
Brilliant idea I'm keeping this one in mind I have a very similar light "the newer bullet style that is and its doing the same thing you described. I can imagine how much brighter it is with all that extra reflective surface surrounding it !! In the bullet light it had what ...zero reflective surrounding area?

Whats top speed on this beast? Also whats your sp[ecial premix? That motor looks clean clean clean !!

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

Nothing. waiting on parts to rebuild the top end after a very successful experiment.
(wrist pin retaining clip failed, and took out the piston and cylinder.)

is there a better clip than the originals?
haven't seen a problem with these unless someone didn't get it in all the way - maybe the bearing failed first and pushed it out?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Well, the exhaust isn't quite complete --- yet. Gonna have to get a new exhaust gasket (3 or 4 probably), and a clamp to replace the wire support at the rear. I did MAPP gas the welds -- ran it about 30 minutes and all seems OK, so far. It was quite a bit louder than I was expecting, so I'll try some steel wool in the muffler.

Maybe because it's now louder, but the motor seems to have 'woken up'! It pulls harder on acceleration and feels more 'comfortable' at cruising speeds. I guess that time will tell how it'll hold up. For now, though, I'm satisfied with the results.

Attachments

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas

I changed out the spark plug/CDI cord

this configuration has been great, I havent had any issues with heat at all. It does what it doe, and conducts electricity.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Well, the exhaust isn't quite complete --- yet. Gonna have to get a new exhaust gasket (3 or 4 probably), and a clamp to replace the wire support at the rear. I did MAPP gas the welds -- ran it about 30 minutes and all seems OK, so far. It was quite a bit louder than I was expecting, so I'll try some steel wool in the muffler.

Maybe because it's now louder, but the motor seems to have 'woken up'! It pulls harder on acceleration and feels more 'comfortable' at cruising speeds. I guess that time will tell how it'll hold up. For now, though, I'm satisfied with the results.
Looks good, looks good. I'd watch the exhaust on the rack though, plastic + hot exhaust = melted rack. lol

I'd love to do something like that for my exhaust, but I don't wanna cut up my existing pipe. lol
You got a pocket bike muffler on it? I bet it sounds bossly.
What nuts do you have? I bought some according to the little screw-in chart thing at Lowes and they don't fit and they aren't as big as yours....I wanna get rid of the acorn nuts.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Most of tjese engines use 8 x 1.25 studs and nuts for thr head, I've found that they are easy to get a hold of at most hardware stores and tractor supply.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Most of tjese engines use 8 x 1.25 studs and nuts for thr head, I've found that they are easy to get a hold of at most hardware stores and tractor supply.
I had got M8-1.00 fine pitch nuts and they literally didn't fit. They wouldn't screw on. Maybe they should be coarse pitch?

Oh yeah, newly re-installed clutch cover:

Makes the bike a fair bit quieter. Notice my spiffy hex head bolts? ;)

Last edited:

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun

new cylinder, new rings, old piston, new retainer clips.
its running again.
Now all i have to do is fix the loose nut behind the wheel.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Just ordered my exhaust gaskets and JNM noise dampening kit. Sometimes if you take enough baby steps, you can get to your destination.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Got a new welder and it welds so much better than my other welder.

Still not a MIG quality looking weld, but is 150% better.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Rode all around town twice today, maybe 20-25miles. Didn't think to look at the trip on the speedometer. It was 78 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Then my engine didn't want 2 idol down . I discovered that my throttle assembly was failing time to order a new one from boy go fast and so I did . its parts like these piston rings and cylinders but I'll buy from him but never ever a complete motor I didn't once and never again . "Once you go DAX you won't go BAX". Gona buy another when they come back in stock. To anyone that wants one ,(and I'm not kidding when I say this) when our ship comes in literally .

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Dracothered, You have got me thinking I am going to at least try the flux core on that same welder I have. Never did any flux core, always AR/75 CO2/25. Those pics are they after just using a wire wheel as you got the nice weld puddle ridges showing that welds ought to have!

What size was the flux core and did you go exact by the chart on the inside cover for settings?

MT

PS A flap disk can get rid of the weld spatter and still leave most of the nice weld flow shape intact, so no biggie there.

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Dracothered, You have got me thinking I am going to at least try the flux core on that same welder I have. Never did any flux core, always AR/75 CO2/25. Those pics are they after just using a wire wheel as you got the nice weld puddle ridges showing that welds ought to have!

What size was the flux core and did you go exact by the chart on the inside cover for settings?

MT

PS A flap disk can get rid of the weld spatter and still leave most of the nice weld flow shape intact, so no biggie there.
Went .030 and yes I used the setting they listed. Just wire brushed it off for that picture.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

I've seen these with 1.0 thread on one end & 1.25 thread on the other end, also 1.25 on both ends, and 1.25 interference thread (which one might expect for head studs) on just the top end. Makes mixing & matching quite a task.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

I've seen these with 1.0 thread on one end & 1.25 thread on the other end, also 1.25 on both ends, and 1.25 interference thread (which one might expect for head studs) on just the top end. Makes mixing & matching quite a task.
I just need to know if the nuts are fine thread or coarse thread. Because I bought fine thread thinking that's what it was and they didn't work. And they matched up to the nut chart that the store has where you screw your hardware in and match it to the one that it...well..matches. lol

Had an oh sh1t moment just now.

Went to pull the clutch and there was no clutch. lol
Screws vibrated out of the clutch cover. Only had one screw in. So I had to ride like a madman to get home as I couldn't stop. lol

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

your best bet is to take one of the studs to the store with you so you can see what fits

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

your best bet is to take one of the studs to the store with you so you can see what fits
Well, I do have extra studs that came with the kit. I guess I could do that.

Got one new screw in the clutch cover and took the other two out, cleaned them, and re-loctited all of them.