New, lostand confused

GoldenMotor.com

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
Hi there. Newbie joining from Northern Ireland. Recently got my first kit, got it fitted and was running, albeit not always perfectly.3 days ago in the rain my bike ground to a halt at 20mph. I picked myself up off the road and have not been able to get her going ever since.scratg

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Welcome aboard. Are you running on the road without registration? The Lor will speak to you about it, trust me. Dougie on here has been through SVA with his, it's not the nightmare people think it is.

I'm assuming it's a China Girl type you have, I'll be getting a 4 stroke kit from deanleeworld on ebay in the New Year. He's in Beckenham. Everything there is to know about the China Girl is in here, so they should get you up an running again. Where did you get your kit from?

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
yes! I am on the road with no registration. cops over don't really know what to do. I rang DVLANI. and they said.
"if you have a provisional license, you'll be fine". does registering mean Tax, mot and insurance? and if so how does that relate having to do the CBT? if its over 49cc?
they didn't seem to know any thing. I have since buying my kit, found the whole idea of putting an engine on a push bike can be a bit of a grey area were as the law is concerned. I passed the cops doing 25ish mph. they then pulled out of the tee junction, followed me........ and passed me and went on their merry way.

the kit itself, bought it off ebay. an English seller, box had printed on it
C D H motor 80 cc. that's all, no indication of the manufacturer at all. I'm assuming it is just a basic kit for getting started.

i removed the CDI and found the HT lead to be a bit loose on the screw, so i trimmed 1/4 of an inch off and it seems pretty tight now. I then pushed the bike with the plug attached to the HT lead but earthing/touching the head. and she gave 1 good strong spark and then quit sparking altogether. but earlier in the day she was doing the same thing, only she was for a few seconds sparking, then nothing. i only go my kit on halloween and i dont want to be binning it just yet.
PLEASE can sohttp://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/zpt.gifme one help http://motorbicyclinimages/smilies/Waa.gif
PS sorry about this being so long, i just wanted to get as much info in as possible as I'm finding it a bit tricky navigating around the site.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If it has an engine in the whole of the UK, it's a motor vehicle. 50cc and less than 28mph is a moped, over either of those it's a motorcycle. SVA test is needed, and it's not that bad, just make the bike MOT worthy, there is info on the VOSA site.

You need to get the VIN first, then the SVA test, then tax, insure and go. Licences, I got mine so far back it was written on tablets of stone, so I have no idea what the rules are these days. Check with a traffic sergeant at your local nick, they tend to know what's what far better than anyone else.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Where did you get the kit from? If they are in Britain/NI and didn't tell you these things, it's a bit naughty.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
4 Strokes probably don't run much quieter, but they seem it because of the different nature of the sound. Also, having seen all the stuff about China Girl and all the other Russian D motor copies, I'm going for something designed recently and with half a chance of decent construction.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
surely insurance wouldn't be all that dear??? i did have a 125 scooter and if i thought that i would have to pay dearer insurance for a push bike i would not have bought it in the first place.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I read back, 80cc makes it a motorcycle, and you're lucky your locals aren't as much on the ball as they are here.

You need the correct speed rated tyres for the rated performance of the bike, disc or drum brakes, main and dip beam at the front, tail, brake and number plate light at the back. Ball ended levers. Proper continuous sounding horn, not a squeaky thing. Proper motorcycle helmet to the correct standard. Sound has to be below 91dB as measured.

That's all I can remember right now, the VOSA site will have links to guide you. Chris Corker is the man to talk to, he writes the rules and is an experienced rider himself. There's an obsolete number comes up on searches for him sometimes, 02380 something, don't ring that one, it's a private address number now.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Joining the National Auto Cycle Club or a similar organisation will get you insurance at penny rates, big insurers charge too much because you're not on any radar they have.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
guy in England sold it to me. purchased it through ebay still in its box, never used. one of those "more than XXX available/ XX sold" guys

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How does the magneto fail????? does it just short out because of the wet getting in?
A lot of people have reported their magneto coil shorted out from water, and also the kill switch can burn it up too.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
surely you jest about that list of stuff. I'd be safer off buying a proper motorbike/scooter. I'm thinking about trying to find an old "cyclemaster" instead