New project

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hi folks..

I'm planning a new build, and as it turns out I have to wait a while for a kit to be available for it so I have some time to do some work on the bike itself and get it ready. (Before you ask, yes, I've looked at the prep-work forum etc).
This is a nice looking bike to start with though, and since I have time I want it to be really nice when it's done. Here's some pics of it as is. It's a Schwinn 5 Star Cruiser, 6-speed. As you can see there's minor surface rust on the chrome fenders, and there are places where the paint needs touching up (chain marks from being locked up, no major scratches, gouges etc.)

The plan so far is to fit it with a 66cc kit, with a chrome exhaust to go with the rest of the look. Probably go with a dual brake lever as well.

My neighbour is a retired mechanic (he restores mid-60's Mustangs), and he loves watching me work on these things. He's already offered to help with paint work for the tank and chainguard to match the frame, we're going to go with matching the 2 colours on the tank and detail in the striping I think.

Beyond that I'm looking for some thoughts on what could be done, without a large budget. I know I'll need a modified front motor mount, but that's all so far.

On a different tangent I'm also looking for thoughts on something else.. I just tripped over an old motorized scooter. It's missing the back wheel and drive chain, and possibly other parts. On the good side, the motor turns when the pull start is hauled on (and it barfs out old fuel/oil mix). The only thing I have found on it so far is a cover on the side of the motor that has GSMOON on it. If I can get it sorted out I'm actually thinking of scrapping the scooter part of it and mounting the motor (somehow) on a ForeRunner a guy I know has (well, he has 3/4's of one, missing front wheels and hardware, it still has the tie-rods and everything else). This page has nothing to do with me or him, but if you look near the bottom of the page for a few more pics that'll give you an idea of how it should look.

So, ideas? Thoughts? I have no solid timeline on either of these projects, but having something to do in the garage often beats being in the house. :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a nice looking bike. I like those fender extension dealies and don't recall seeing those before. I agree about leaving the paint alone... touching up where you need to.
Regarding the other project... Could be interesting and fun. If it were me I'd not invest a lot in the motor. If it runs, go for it, but if not you could spend a lot of time and maybe money trying to get it sorted out. Just as well to spend a hundred bucks at Harbor Freight for a predator four stroke and have a new engine. The forerunner frame is interesting... wonder how hard it would be to beef it up from the get go with some gussets or whatever it needs. Brakes would be a must. Looks like fun.
SB

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah apparently the Forerunner brakes are a bad idea from the factory.. some sort of a band brake on the back axle, which is useless with any speed or inertia against it, or when wet. Living in the Pacific NorthWest, I'm dealing with hills and damp conditions a lot.

It looks like we may have to make the missing parts for the front end, but I've only done a quick search for the beast for general info so far. Looking for parts could be a different challenge.

I plan on pulling the motor off the dead scooter in the next few weeks, and having a look at it. Turning isn't the same as able to run, I know, but it's a good start. If it doesn't work out, then I dropped $40 on a "do it yourself small engine course" as I learn from working with it.