Proper Break-in Procedure with Opti 2?

GoldenMotor.com

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Hello,
For starters, I have read that whole "100:1" thread, but I still have a couple of questions. I know that the end goal is to run the engine at a 100:1 mix, but should I break-in the engine on a different oil? If so, what oil and what ratio?

If in fact I should use Opti 2 for breaking in the engine, should I just use a 100:1 ratio from day 1, or should I start at a higher oil concentration (perhaps 75:1 or even 50:1)?

Anything else I should know about using this oil in a 66cc two stroke?

Thanks

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
100:1 from day one. I ran this oil on a motor with 10 miles on it at willow springs race, wide open most of the time and it is my fastest motor to date. Learned this from top racing guy Bairdco...my hero... Lol

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Why is this oil so wildly different than all of the other oils :) It is such a strange concept to even think of using a 100:1 ratio, let alone breaking in at the same ratio!

Guess Im just gonna have to trust it works!

Would I benefit at all running a slightly higher oil concentration such as 75 or 60:1? Or should I just go straight for the 100:1?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run every one of my own bikes and every bike i build to sell on opti-2 at 100:1 from the first start-up.

all of them are still on the road, and some have over 2 years and thousands of miles on them.

i wouldn't recommend breaking them in on a different oil. that defeats the whole purpose of using it. go to their website and you'll see how it's a totally different technology than any other oil.

another thing about the break-in period, it's usually one tank or less, compared to many tanks and weeks of a poorly running motor with conventional oils. on a lot of my bikes there's been no noticeable break-in period at all!

as a final point, there's only been one case where the owner believes (but i don't) that opti2 ruined his engine. there's been no tests of any kind done on that engine (to my knowledge,) so there could have been many other factors that contributed to his failure.

there's many, many more satisfied users, so even if it was discovered that opti2 caused it, them's still good odds...

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Most all profesional engine rebuilders and engine rebuilding companies for autos, tractors, and aircraft engines, warn to NEVER use synthetic oil for break-in. It lubes too well and keeps the crosshatch from seating the rings. If the crosshatch doesn't do it's job well in the first 20 miles, it gets smoothed down and the rings will never be well seated and the engine won't produce optimun power or longivity.

These are well documented and proven facts

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
These cylinders are not ball hoaned. There for the cross hatch that you speak of is non existant. But you are correct that the synthitics prohibit proper break in if they are cross hatched.
I was going to cross hatch my new cylinder but decided against it because the chrome coating being so thin.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
These cylinders are not ball hoaned. There for the cross hatch that you speak of is non existant. But you are correct that the synthitics prohibit proper break in if they are cross hatched.
I was going to cross hatch my new cylinder but decided against it because the chrome coating being so thin.
This man is correct. There is no cross hatching in the Chinese 2 stroke engines. The cylinder is chromed and Opti-2 is not a true synthetic.

I second what Bairdco has said. My best engines were broken in running Opti @ 100:1. I've never had a problem and they run great.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
This man is correct. There is no cross hatching in the Chinese 2 stroke engines.
I disagree to a point.

I have had bran new engines that had Cross Hatch in them some looked better than others while still some had non at all. I think it depends on what mood they are in at the factory at the time lol.

My very first China came from a dealer who is no more but it was a bushed motor that thing ran better than anybody's motor did around me! It had very visible cross hatch in the cylinder when it was new and ran a very long time. I had not used the said Opti on it but I have seen Opti first hand on friends motors and I have no Qualms about it. None of us have ran it at 100/1 tho about 50/1 or 60/1. That I know of. I have a huge case of another oil to finish off.

I have implemented a cocktail tho of a hint of opti with my oil I need to use up tho.I wanted to to get those friction modifiers implemented. That one is at 50 to one. 10 of is opti and all has been good.

I know these guy's here posting quit well if they say it works. It works just like they say it does! I have been becoming quit fascinated with this friction modifier agent in Opti!

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
What is the best way to mix this stuff?

If you get the little 1.8 fl oz packets, and mix it with 1 gallon of gas (per instructions) you would get a ratio of 71:1. I thought 100:1 is best for this oil?

If you get a 12 fl oz bottle of Opti 2, how do you measure out 1.32 fl oz to achieve the 100:1 mix ratio? A standard ratio rite maxes out at 70:1!

Thanks

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
What is the best way to mix this stuff?

If you get the little 1.8 fl oz packets, and mix it with 1 gallon of gas (per instructions) you would get a ratio of 71:1. I thought 100:1 is best for this oil?

If you get a 12 fl oz bottle of Opti 2, how do you measure out 1.32 fl oz to achieve the 100:1 mix ratio? A standard ratio rite maxes out at 70:1!

Thanks
The Opti-2 oil 1.8 fl oz packets are designed for the Australian
and Canadian markets so they have instructions on them to mix
5 liters to 1 gallon of gas which is 100 to 1.

Mix 1.3 gallons to get 100 to 1.

128 oz in a gallon so 100 to 1 = 1.28 oz

I have only had the packets. It looks like only the 34 fl oz bottle of Opti 2
has a measuring device built into it.

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Ok, since I have the 12 fl oz bottle, I have decided that I am just gonna use a graduated cylinder to measure out the oil. I will fill it up to 40 mL which translates to 1.35 fl oz, this gives me a ratio of 96:1 in 1 US Gallon. Close enough...

dance1

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
i have the 32oz bottle with the measuring device and it has been fine. or if u get the smaller bottle just use the marks on it to measure the oil

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it'll work fine. all my 12oz bottles have markings down the side, weird that yours doesn't. you could use a kitchen measuring cup, too, or anything that measures ounces, for that matter.

and, to be honest, the way i mix mine is approximately 2 ounces to approximately 2 gallons. i don't worry about accuracy, as long as it's close.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I have a liquid measurement shot glass I got at D&B, and I put in 1.25 oz. I'm loving Opti-2, if I spill some fuel on the concrete, there's a slick spot for a day and a half. Motor is running what feels like just like it should. After a hundred miles or so, I popped the top and looked, and things were looking pretty good. There is hardly any carbon on the top of the piston, even seems like some of my scoring is going away since switching. Keep in mind - this is the second year on this motor with some serious miles on it.