engine cover for cruiser? help quieting motor...

GoldenMotor.com

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
I have a schwinn riverside beach cruiser i'm going to put a 80cc kit on i bought off ebay but motorized bikes are illegal here in key west florida so i was wondering if theres some kind of cover i can buy or create to put over it to obscure it so perhaps it might look like an electric bike. any tips on quieting the muffler and engine would be helpful as well.

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
I've talked to 3 cops so far two of which told me it was illegal and another said they didn't know. I'm sure i'm going to get a ticket for having an unregistered vehicle if they know i've got a combustion engine strapped on it. I have a virginia drivers license but don't have a lease or utility bill to prove my residence requirements for getting a florida drivers license. that would bar me from registering a vehicle in florida otherwise i would simply have bought a moped to have transportation. I don't really want to fight this fight. i keep seeing motorized bikes around here flying around ever so often. thats where i got the idea from. i talked to one guy who had one and the extent of our conversation was Me:"is that legal" him:"yep" Me:"how fast does it go" him:"how fast you wanna go". if it was legal i'd think i'd see everyone around here riding them cause theres a crapload of bikes here. i plan on hooking up an electric kit to my bike as well. mainly to use downtown where all the cops are and to appear as if thats the thing thats propelling me otherwise.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The way I would address this problem would be to put a quiet little 4-stroke motor (with the stock exhaust can and shroud) on the bike and when your out and about and happen to see a cop.........hit the kill switch and pedal like it's no ones business. A motorized bike is only motorized when the engine is running. Is it illegal to pedal your bike with a motor sitting on it? Shouldn't be.

Next best thing to do is make a cowl for the motor that looks like a jet turbine....I don't think turbine engines are illegal on bicycles yet.....

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
i was thinking to build a black metal box with an area for air intake on the front and a vented slot for exhaust below and put the gas tank inside of it as well instead of on my top bar and put some white writing that looks factory that says something like E BIKE with a lightning bolt above it. what do you think. the four stroke is out. i already bought this 80cc and its going on legal or not.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
You can quiet the engine, I think there have been threads on that topic.
Put cardboard inside the clutch cover, an extended air box will help quiet the intake roar. One guy made panels to hide the engine on the sides (but air still could flow front to back).
Get a zip bag to cover the gastank like a tank bag on a motorcycle (mine came from salvation army).

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
woah that looks like a peice of work. first things first. i just opened the box and tried to install the engine and even with some clamp with nitrile rubbers ENGINE MOUNT With NITRILE RUBBERS For Motorized Bikes! - eBay (item 400135569615 end time Apr-06-11 20:42:14 PDT) i can't figure out how to get it mounted. i'm looking around the internet trying to find close ups. alot of people seem to be using this same bike so it can't be too big of a deal. i read about cardboard inside the clutch cover already and somebody was saying it might break apart or get ripped up by the chain and possibly cause problems. that cardboard in the clutch cover would seemingly only lessen the chain rattling noise. i'm more worried about the sound of the motor really. i'm not so worried about losing a little power. i wouldn't be so paranoid if key west wasn't crawling with cops.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
woah that looks like a peice of work. first things first. i just opened the box and tried to install the engine and even with some clamp with nitrile rubbers ENGINE MOUNT With NITRILE RUBBERS For Motorized Bikes! - eBay (item 400135569615 end time Apr-06-11 20:42:14 PDT) i can't figure out how to get it mounted. i'm looking around the internet trying to find close ups. alot of people seem to be using this same bike so it can't be too big of a deal. i read about cardboard inside the clutch cover already and somebody was saying it might break apart or get ripped up by the chain and possibly cause problems. that cardboard in the clutch cover would seemingly only lessen the chain rattling noise. i'm more worried about the sound of the motor really. i'm not so worried about losing a little power. i wouldn't be so paranoid if key west wasn't crawling with cops.
Forget the rubber. It has been proven time and again that mounting the engine solid to the frame is the only way to go. Your link is a scam. Don't try it.
The reason is this: You can not eliminate the source of the vibration, which is the engine. Using any resilient material between the engine and the bike frame will only transfer those vibrations to the mounting fasteners and they will fail eventually. Do some reading here and see what others have done.
Tom

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
it wouldn't fit between the forks because the chain guard was blocking it. i see this guy YouTube - Motorized Bike Schwinn Riverside 66cc engine (UPDATE VIDEO) took the chain guard off and he has the same bike as me and same engine so i guess thats the ticket. i see people asking him how to get it on in other posts so i must be on to something. i guess this means i'm going to have to do the one pant leg tucked in to my sock gangster thing. thats alright cause i'm feeling pretty gangsterfied just going to be riding around on this "illegal" bicycle. not to get too off topic but whats the best type of oil for these engines and what grade gasoline? I'd suppose since it takes so little and i love it so much to get supreme but i don't even know what type of oil. am i wrong?

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
i left my bike unlocked and somebody stole it. i already got another one but i'm still looking for mine so i can beat some ass and still have a backup bike.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
from what iv'e read before these engines are low compression so the higher octanes are actually worse for it since higher octane takes more pressure to combust. as for oil any 2 stroke oil will work, but again from what iv'e read, you want to go with regular 2 stroke for break in period (about 2 gallons of gas), and then synthetic is best. opti-2 2 stroke oil seems to be the best but iv'e never used it.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I had a brilliant idea once, but I never actually tried it :) What you do is you get a BIG and I mean BIG steel tool box. Build a rack for it to mount on, build a friction setup, preferably using a clutch. cut some holes in the right spots on your tool box, and then get this incredibly quiet and reliable 2 stroke, 1.2hp japanese engine Goped Engine G23LH G23 LH : Engine Motor Engines Motors Goped Go Ped and mound it sideways in the tool box so the exhaust goes out the bottom and air comes in on the top. All you need is to cut a few discreet slots for the hot air to pass through and you're set :D I'm gonna do it someday! :)