GoldenMotor.com

stokey

Feb 24, 2010
wyoming
.spr.
Is this correct??
1. Larger sprocket (more teeth)= more power/less speed
2. Smaller sprocket (less teeth)= less power/more speed

Any suggestions which to use. I'd rather opt for power rather than speed! I'm an old fart and do not mend very easy when I fall down.

36 tooth, 40 tooth? The motor I am going to use is a 50cc

Thanks anyone for any suggestions.
Stokey

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
stokey,
I assume by the sprockets mentioned, you are using a "80cc" 2 stroke, most stock sprockets are 44 tooth, some are 41, a 36 will have much less power, but more top end, basically speaking, for every tooth you subtract from the rear, you will gain 1mph. For example: if you can do 25mph with a 44 tooth, you should be able to go 28mph with a 41tooth. Don't know what part of Wy you live in, but if you have any substantial hills, stick with the 44, heck after a while, you can always change it to see.

Mac

biker G

May 6, 2010
ontario
Ya thats right.
Where I ride there are lots of steep hills and I am running a 50 tooth currently and I cruise nicely at about 30 km/h with tons of power although I am pretty light. I am going to switch to a 44 tooth though because I think its a bit under geared but its really a matter terrain,weight and your desire for speed or power.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I have heard the 50cc has a noticeable amount of less torque than the 66cc. So If you want power and less speed then stick with the 44T that the kit comes with or even go bigger like biker G. I bought a 38T and a 54T. The 38T for on road and 54T for off road. I must say I am disapointed with the 38T. I have the 66cc engine and it really took away the bottom end power and the engine struggles at lower speeds. It makes the bike feel like it was only designed for high speeds. I haven't tried the 54T yet but will be soon.