Fire

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I'd like to send a little financial help Silverbear's way but I don't have a paypal account. If any of the mod's have an address where I could send a contribution via snailmail please PM me.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If you would like to donate to silverbear, his paypal address is:

[email protected]

He's not home yet. He's going to need some gas money. If you can send $5, $10, or $20 that would be great.

If you don't have a paypal account, just go to paypal.com. You'll be surprised how easy it is to set up. Also, it gives him the quickest access to the cash. He needs the help now.

Thanks,

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you guys. I don't have much time as I'm in the middle of work and trying to get something done before the rain returns. I wrote this earlier this morning and will check in later...
Good morning,
Satellite link is out right now so I’m writing a little word document to update things and will post it when the link returns. I did check to see if a temporary license is possible here in Maryland and found that it is, but costs sixty dollars, so I’ve decided to cool my heels, leave a few days later and put that money into the gas tank. Every thankful is that much closer to home. I called the seller and he will deliver the jeep on Saturday, so I need to be patient and make other preparations for the trip. Adding things up in my head and it looks like a week and a half or so and I’ll be ready to roll.
I have a question for those familiar with the Cherokee. Does the back seat sort of fold and move forward in order to open up the cargo area in back? I’d rather not remove the seat to leave here in case I end up trading for a pickup truck this summer. If the seat does fold forward does that leave enough room behind it to lay out a foam pad and sleeping bag?. It wouldn’t have to be a full six feet (my height) as even five would be enough. I would drive until tired, crawl in back either at a rest stop or Walmart parking lot… someplace safe, and nap for an hour or two at a time to refresh myself. I did that on the bench seat of my deceased truck and it was adequate. If that is possible then I think that I would pick up some of the flat rate boxes from the post office and transfer my salvaged tools and parts into those boxes laid out on the floor next to each other one box high, like a carpet of boxes all the same height. Then I could lay a sheet of thin plywood or even a couple of layers of cardboard like from an appliance and that would spread my weight from above as I sleep. I have a foam mat and blankets. So a good bit of what would be packed would be under me. A couple of the burned bikes could go on top, tied to the roof rack.. That’s what I’m thinking if that seat folds forward. I don’t have a plan B.
Still have some cleanup to do at the scene of the crime and want to start cleaning soot from what belongings I set aside hoping to salvage. Touch anything and an oily soot remains. Nasty stuff, it is. It is always good to go through your tools, sorting and tweaking what needs attention, so I will tell myself that as I clean. Coffee’s gone and so am I.
SB

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Mine slid forward and dropped down, which made for a pretty decent sleeping area. I used mine often I'm big into hangin out with Nature camping and such the Jeep was great!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Terron,
The Jeep choice is sounding better all the time. I'm glad to hear that I don't need a plan B. I was studying rear bike carriers that fit into the hitch receiver on ebay, just to see what is out there and was looking at ones made for motocross bikes and motorcycles which had a kind of channel for the wheels to fit in and had a ramp that either slid back into place or folded or whatever once you rolled the bike up into place and strapped it secure. That looks like a winner setup to me. There are a couple made from aircraft aluminum which hold one bike and are around $120.00. I'm not interested until much later when I have my feet on the ground, but that looks like a reasonable and secure way to transport a kind of heavy cruiser. I'm also thinking that the sidecar made from a canoe section will weigh a good bit less than a canoe, so should be easy enough to lift onto the roof and secure it to the roof rack. Maybe this jeep is going to be much more versatile than I had thought. One of the main reasons I like the rear rack like that is for advertising purposes. With a for sale sign on a snazzy bike and a prominent phone number, lots of people would look and somebody would write that number down. Something to think about anyway...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hey Terron,
The Jeep choice is sounding better all the time. I'm glad to hear that I don't need a plan B. I was studying rear bike carriers that fit into the hitch receiver on ebay, just to see what is out there and was looking at ones made for motocross bikes and motorcycles which had a kind of channel for the wheels to fit in and had a ramp that either slid back into place or folded or whatever once you rolled the bike up into place and strapped it secure. That looks like a winner setup to me. There are a couple made from aircraft aluminum which hold one bike and are around $120.00. I'm not interested until much later when I have my feet on the ground, but that looks like a reasonable and secure way to transport a kind of heavy cruiser. I'm also thinking that the sidecar made from a canoe section will weigh a good bit less than a canoe, so should be easy enough to lift onto the roof and secure it to the roof rack. Maybe this jeep is going to be much more versatile than I had thought. One of the main reasons I like the rear rack like that is for advertising purposes. With a for sale sign on a snazzy bike and a prominent phone number, lots of people would look and somebody would write that number down. Something to think about anyway...
While you are looking check out CampingWrold. They have one with tire houps.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Terron,
Hi SB,

I have a spare class III (2 inch insert) hitch-mounted motorcycle carrier that I'd be more than happy to give you. But it's meant to carry 500-600 lbs. I think it's way overbuilt for your needs. The idea is right, but I'd bet there is a much better option out there in a smaller scale.

Those types of carriers are great. I have a fancy aluminum version that's meant to allow one person loading. I can push a 375 lb bike up the ramp with no problem, then lock it down. I'm sure there must be a similar version out there for bikes.

Not this Friday but the following I get paid and will send you some gas money if you are not yet home.

Best of luck!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Badumpbump.

Good night, Walter. Our thoughts are with you.
Your efforts to see me home speaks volumes about what kind of person you are, my friend. I feel honored to know you. You have already done so much I can't ask you to do more, so much as I might be able to use more gas money I think you've already gone above and beyond. It means an awful lot what you good people here have done. I've said before that I'll do my best to pass the kindness along and I will. Among Indian people there is a teaching that what we put out into the circle of life (biimaadiziiwin) comes back to us, so we must be careful that what we give out is good and not bad. In the dominant culture I have heard it as "what goes around comes around" or in the Bible the idea of reaping what you sow. There are many ways of speaking the same truth. It is my great wish that your kindness comes back to each of you many times over.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
HI SILVER BEAR
Go pplmotorhomes.com super store. find enertainment&comfort.then bike carriers. Chech out the masterbuilt rack. I made one for my motor home paterned after it and works great.on sall to I bought my frig. from them and had it here in three days.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Michigan Mike,
I just looked back over the last few posts and realize now that I did not thank you for your message. Sometimes I think about doing something and then never follow through and imagine that because I thought of it, I did it. Comes with getting older, I suppose, and was greatly accelerated when I was hit by lightning through a telephone in the summer of 1995. It burned the front lobe of my brain evidenced by bleeding burns between my eyes, out the forehead and crown resulting in brain trauma, so at least I have something to blame short and long term memory loss on. It ain't my fault! What I really wanted to say is thank you for caring, you have a good heart and in my book that is everything.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pictured below are a couple shots of my Cherokee from the craigslist ad and a couple pictures of a neat aluminum motorbike carrier on ebay. There are other types, but this one looks about right for a cruiser with a motor. It is rated at about 375 pounds which is more than enough and yet at 37 pounds for the carrier it isn't overkill. I especially like that you don't have to lift the bike up, but can just roll it. I'm posting the photos partly for the benefit of others who are thinking about a rear carrier for your bike. There are many types and it can be confusing. I had kind of a flimsy one I bought used some years ago which was the kind where the bike hangs from supports and I was never real comfortable with that since I felt like it was designed for a much lighter bike. The last thing I'd want to do is pick up the pieces of my bike along the road or cause an accident to another motorist. So whatever I end up doing I want to be safe. Curtis, I haven't yet looked at the one you suggested, but I will. Thanks for that.
But a spiffy bike rack is for the future when I'm on my feet again. Right now I need to figure out how to transport my belongings and tools which is part of plan A (boxes of the same size with a platform of either thin plywood or multiple layers of cardboard I can sleep on with the boxes underneath) plus transport bikes. Up above on the rack I figure to tie on at least two of my burned bikes for salvage once home... the 39 Elgin and the 63 American for sure. What has me worried a little is Camlifter's beautiful Schwinn which I'll be picking up on my way through Ohio. It has been ridden just ten miles worth and is in mint condition. You saw a picture of it earlier in this thread. I have to figure out how best to transport it without adding one scratch or one abrasion. When I get home one of the very first things I want to do is put some gas in its tank and take a ride with the dog in her bike trailer, of course. I told Camlifter this morning in a PM that there's gonna be a big smile on the Bears face for sure. Woohoo! So, how to transport it safely without one of those spiffy rear carriers. How would you do it?
SB

Attachments

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
SB, One thing you should keep in mind when figuring out what to take home and where to put it. I have a roof mounted bike rack for non motorized bikes. When I have two bikes up there my mpg suffers more than you would think. I don't know if you can but if you could salvage what you can out of those two bikes before you leave and put the parts inside the jeep you might save a lot of money on gas.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Pictured below are a couple shots of my Cherokee from the craigslist ad and a couple pictures of a neat aluminum motorbike carrier on ebay. There are other types, but this one looks about right for a cruiser with a motor. It is rated at about 375 pounds which is more than enough and yet at 37 pounds for the carrier it isn't overkill. I especially like that you don't have to lift the bike up, but can just roll it. I'm posting the photos partly for the benefit of others who are thinking about a rear carrier for your bike. There are many types and it can be confusing. I had kind of a flimsy one I bought used some years ago which was the kind where the bike hangs from supports and I was never real comfortable with that since I felt like it was designed for a much lighter bike. The last thing I'd want to do is pick up the pieces of my bike along the road or cause an accident to another motorist. So whatever I end up doing I want to be safe. Curtis, I haven't yet looked at the one you suggested, but I will. Thanks for that.
But a spiffy bike rack is for the future when I'm on my feet again. Right now I need to figure out how to transport my belongings and tools which is part of plan A (boxes of the same size with a platform of either thin plywood or multiple layers of cardboard I can sleep on with the boxes underneath) plus transport bikes. Up above on the rack I figure to tie on at least two of my burned bikes for salvage once home... the 39 Elgin and the 63 American for sure. What has me worried a little is Camlifter's beautiful Schwinn which I'll be picking up on my way through Ohio. It has been ridden just ten miles worth and is in mint condition. You saw a picture of it earlier in this thread. I have to figure out how best to transport it without adding one scratch or one abrasion. When I get home one of the very first things I want to do is put some gas in its tank and take a ride with the dog in her bike trailer, of course. I told Camlifter this morning in a PM that there's gonna be a big smile on the Bears face for sure. Woohoo! So, how to transport it safely without one of those spiffy rear carriers. How would you do it?
SB
My first thought is to take the wheels and pedals off and it makes for a lot smaller package. Even your burnt ones could be made to lay flter that way on the roof.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Bump, Bump Bump, Thats the sounds of the 15's when they hittin in my trunk, Bump, Bump Bump. Hey SB you'll have a lil more gas money tomorrow!

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
YO SB! I hope LadyG didn't scare the **** out of everybody but she's a good woman.
Looks like you got all your loons in a row now. Have you considered a UHaul trailer to put those extra bikes in? They really don't rent for that much and you can haul a lot of stuff. I pulled one up from Corpus Christi TX to Lincoln behind a Ford Pinto with a huge Snap On tool chest in it. I had to be careful at the stop signs or it would have pushed me right on through. LOL
The Drs gave me a semi clean bill of health this morning. BUT no 'Century' rides on the pedal bike for a while. Gotta take it slow getting up and down but other wise I'm OK.
Worked on the little friction drive put a larger fuel tank on it because I plan to commute back and forth to work after 6/1. I gotta get going and find LadyG a trike and finish up the HF job. Gotta get more parts ... always more parts and I'm not sure if I'm going to remove the governor or leave it in.
Thanks to every one that sent me good wishes...it was pretty rough for a while.
SB hope you get north and catch some of those walleyes. Good Eatin. I'm gonna start trying to fish in the Might MO for the sturgeons they're really dinosaurs.
Be careful of the airports where the mosquitos land up north. LOL
Have a good day.
buzzard

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Buzzard,
That's real good news about the clean bill of health... and there you are thinking about governors and parts and projects and yeah for sure... one for LadyG! I would think so, or no more lunches for you, Bud!
No trailer this time. I don't have enough to take to warrant the expense and want to aim everything at the gas tank. I can leave frames here which may not be any good anyway. I'm already off to a late start getting home and have three frames there to fool around with and not much in resources to do it with. I think the summer will involve some serious riding, some Huck Finn time at the lake swimming and some fishing. One of my favorite things is to take a swim with a bar of soap and stand at the end of the dock for a shave with an old brass safety razor and a bicycle mirror to make sure I don't remove my nose or eyebrows. To me that is the height of luxury to stand there waist deep in clear water with little bluegills bumping their mouths against my legs, I imagine trying to eat the hairs which must look like something yummy. I don't mind and kind of like it. A loon may come in for a landing and a family of newly hatched Mallards may pass by, the little ones bobbing along like fuzzy corks in the water trying to keep up with mom. It's like being in a great big natural hot tub which is in fact quite cold, but sharing it with a lively crowd of wild things. That's the life... Huck Finn all growed up.
I have never fished for sturgeon, the grand daddies of them all. There is a long standing rumor, perhaps legend in the making of a sturgeon in our lake, Eagles Nest Lake #3. People have said they have seen a dark shadow pass by in the depths the size of a canoe. And there are many including myself who thought they were snagged on a submerged log only to discover that the log lumbered off and snapped their line. I like to think it is there and I hope nobody ever catches it. Talking about fishing makes me all the more homesick for the forest, my friends the bald eagles, all the creatures who are my neighbors and especially for my elder brothers, the bears. Heal up, my friend. I'll think of you when I eat my first walleye...
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.