Snapped All Thread Mounting Bolt

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
same happened to me ! I tapped holes to 1/4-20 and went to menards and found some allen head (socket head) type bolts , my stud had broke flush into the motor and just used a 3/32 drill bit to drill a hole and a easy out to remove stud! , since then I have'nt had a problem!

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
same happened to me ! I tapped holes to 1/4-20 and went to menards and found some allen head (socket head) type bolts , my stud had broke flush into the motor and just used a 3/32 drill bit to drill a hole and a easy out to remove stud! , since then I have'nt had a problem!
Maybe I'll try that drill bit.

I asked the guy at the hardware store and he gave me an extractor for a M6 bolt, which said I needed to use a 5/64 drill bit.... hmmmm

-Mopedamauter79's gf

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
5/64 is just one size under 3/32 , the difference being 1/64" you say tomato , I say tomoto ! either one should work . a good bit is what you really need . go to your local hardware store and ask for a steel bit! menards,lowes,home depot , most of these box stores should have them.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
i too have just fallen to the dreaded broken stud. Was on my way to the auto parts store to get some 2 stroke oil when something hit my leg and the motor was vibrating like mad. I stopped to inspect and sure enough the stud has broken. i limped the bike back to the house at 10kph and then i took the engine loose and the spacer off to find i am one of the lucky ones and there was some threads showing so i was able to back the broken piece out with some pliers. I will be off to get new hardware tomorrow. Figures it would break on me it was the last OEM bolts on the bike and it is going up for sale tomorrow.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
i too have just fallen to the dreaded broken stud. Was on my way to the auto parts store to get some 2 stroke oil when something hit my leg and the motor was vibrating like mad. I stopped to inspect and sure enough the stud has broken. i limped the bike back to the house at 10kph and then i took the engine loose and the spacer off to find i am one of the lucky ones and there was some threads showing so i was able to back the broken piece out with some pliers. I will be off to get new hardware tomorrow. Figures it would break on me it was the last OEM bolts on the bike and it is going up for sale tomorrow.
That is pretty lucky.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
well a trip to ace hardware was very successful. I bought 2 6m x 55mm grade 8 bolts and new locking washers and washers. I had a new spacer so i put it on and installed the bolts in from behind the seat post. I can see no reason not to do this on all builds it would seem to be much stronger and less things to go wrong.