New Staton axle mounted kits

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
It looks very interesting,I thought I looked at this site befor ,but I dont remember the parts for building something like this .
Two motor brakets ,a free wh. wheel sproket, and a motor w/a gear reduction end,and your on the road(add Chain lol)
working from the motor gear reduction too concider the size of the rear sproket for hp and weight,good going!!

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I'll stick with my rack mount Staton, that kit is VERY solid. The new one would never hold up to the beat up streets around here or if the kit did the bike wouldn't.

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
I love the angle of the rear tire in the first picture, probably caused on a regular basis from off-center weight distribution. Try a really quick left turn...

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I looked at them but I went with the Stanton rack mounted friction drive just because it will be so easy to switch between bikes if I decide to swap stuff around.

I'm a clutz- I'd have that motor knocked right off the frame in about 20 minutes of riding:)

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Can the new Staton axle kit be fitted on a rear wheel with quick-release, one with no back or forward play?

Last edited:

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that Staton can't provide a link to a review after a year of his new kit doesn't sound too good.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I really don't see any advantages(only disadvantages) to this kit unless it is going on a folding bike or something. Honda made a kit like this many years ago.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
If you're truly interested in a Staton kit just buy the rack mount chain drive. You won't be disappointed. The kit is very solid and even with the little R/S engine it will pull around 250 pounds of rider and bike up almost any hill around here without pedaling and there's a lot of hills around here.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I looked into a friction but decided to go with a chain. It costs more up front but there's no extra tire wear, it works when wet, it freewheels, no roller to replace and if you look in the forums you have to replace the clutch bell too when you replace the roller, or you have to take the assembly to a machine shop to get the clutch bell off the roller. In the long run the chain drive is cheaper without all the friction drawbacks.

BTW, the rack mount chain kit is a little cheaper on ebay and with Bing and Ebates cashback you can save a lot over the website price. I saved over $100. Ebates has double cashback at one or more sites daily. If you're not in a hurry and want to save more you can wait for ebay to be double again. The sites change daily so you would have to check every day. Staton likes to play with prices too, sometimes the shipping is free and sometimes it isn't. The price also fluctuates.

Yes, it's definitely worth the price if you want a quality kit that will last with a smooth ride. You won't find anything better. I've got well over 1000 miles on my kit with nothing more than oil changes and chain lube and I have the original rear tire with at least 1/3 of the tread still left.

Last edited:

silvaire

Jan 25, 2009
North of the Golden Gate

$379 seems a lot of gelt for what one gets. Is it worth it?
What you are not seeing in that picture is the gearbox itself - the most expensive part - which is hiding on the back side of the mounting plate.

I don't much care for the appearance of the motor being so low and far back, but I would suspect that it is quieter, and just as efficient as any of Staton's other chain drive units.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
If you look in the swap & shop forum here the guy selling R/S engines for $145+shipping says Staton is selling their friction kit minus engine for $159 shipped on ebay. Take 8% BCB off that is $146, take another 3% Ebates CB plus a $5 signup bonus brings it down to about $136 for the friction kit and about $155 for an R/S engine, that gives you a pretty cheap kit.

If you do get a chain drive kit invest the extra money and get their custom wheel. The hub isn't a standard size so you'll have to buy spokes and lace the rim yourself. It will just end up costing as much as their wheel which is really good quality and was perfectly straight.

Last edited:

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Instructions for the Staton-Inc. Axle mounted Gear and Chain Drive kit.Read the complete instruction over twice. Make or highlight any thing you do not understand or have questions about, then call or email us before you start the install.The zip lock bag has several very small parts. Open on a clean surface so you do not loose any of the parts.Save this copy as it has notes about your custom made gear box, clutch drum, gears, shaft, grease, Gear oil, V groove, notches, location pins, NPT plugs and other special notes that you may need in the future. Scan this and your invoice into your PC as a file so you can all ways find this information.This kit will fit drop out width of _____ Best for bikes that have a 7 or 8 speed freewheel.Look at the two sets (10 + detailed pictures) of mounting pictures on the web site. All the engines mount the same, so look at all of them to get more information before you start.After you get your wheel re laced into the Staton Custom hub with the Left Hand threads on the left side and right hand threads on the right side or you have bought a New wheel your ready to start.Place the Axle mount Spacer on the left side of the axle, leave the 12 mm snap ring on.
Place the 2” x 3” x 7” long Angle bracket with the 10 mm hole on the axle, then slide the wheel with the left hand freewheel sprocket and the larger #25 or #35 sprocket in to your frame.
Be sure and snug up the right side first, this will help move the left side into position. Check and make sure your wheel is where it should be. Place the angle bracket to a Horizontal position, then tighten the 10 mm flange nut and the 10 mm x 1.0 hex nut and lock the two nuts together.
Now would be a good place to test ride the bike to make sure everything is where you want it before you install the axle brace or drill any holes in to the angle bracket.
Once your wheel is in place make the frame with a marker. You can turn the angle bracket to best suit your needs and the type of engine you have. If using the Robin Subaru EH025 or EH035 you can go up to 30 degrees.Instructions for the Axle mounted Gear and Chain Drive kit. Page 2.Try to keep the fuel tank as level as possible so when you check or change oil it easy to make sure you have the correct amount. If you want or need the engine tilted you can all ways place the rear wheel on a step or block of wood to lever out the engine so you can get a good reading on the oil level.A Honda GX25 or GX35 can run at any angle, but you still need the fuel tank level so you can check the oil level correctly and fill the tank.If you are using a Two Cycle or Two Stroke Engine it does not matter as to the angle. Just be sure you can fill the tank with the correct two Cycle mix ratio for your engine.Try to pick up one or more holes in the frame to support the angle bracket. This will help keep the bracket in place and from turning. Most bike frames will have two holes that are
drilled and tapped with a 5 mm x .80 thread hole. I would drill out to a 6 mm for extra strength. You may need 5 mm or 6 mm bolts, flat washer and nylock nuts that are not included with the kit. Pick up both bolt holes if possible.Angle Bracket Description: 2” x 3” x 3/16” x 7” long. Black - Aluminum orSteel - Zinc.The Angle bracket should be perpendicular to the sprocket. When you install the brace, be sure and do not bend the angle bracket to match your frame.Angle Brace Description: (¼” x ¾” or 1” x 6.25” or 7" long aluminum flat bar brace with the two ¼” holes drilled in it and a machined slot for the hose clamp. If needed bend the brace (flat bar) slightly to match the frame. Make sure that the brace is nice and tight up against the frame as it’s purpose is to keep the angle bracket - engine and gear box from trying to rotate clock wise under power. Keep the end of the brace about ½” away from the machined slots. This will allow more space for the bolts to move up and down in the slots in order to adjust the chain. Once the brace is placed where you want it, use a 6mm or ¼” drill bit to mark and drill thru the 3/16” bracket. Please the flat washers on the outside of the frame. Make sure the bolts do not extend too far as they will hit the freewheel sprocket or the nuts that hold the sprocket onto the freewheel. In most cases you will not use flat washer on the bolt that is closest to the axle as it would make the nylock nut stick out too far and hit the nylock nut on the freewheel. Instructions for the Axle mounted Gear and Chain Drive kit. Page 3.In most cases the other bolt can be longer and you can use a flat washer, then the nylock nut. Then install the hose clamp as shown.Spin the wheel and make sure none of the parts touch each other and that you have the wheel and brakes installed correctly.The Angle BRACE should help hold the Angle Bracket in place in both directions.Once the wheel and angle bracket in comply installed. Install the Extra 10 mm x 1.0 hex nut with a 17 mm wrench. This is a safety to make sure the 10mm x 1.0 flange nut that uses a 15 mm wrench does not come loose.Now test ride the bike again without the engine - gear box. Test the gear shifting, brakes, wheel alignment and re check for any loose nuts or bolts and that nothing is make contact that should not.Install the chain using the master link or connecting link to attach the two ends of the chain together. Install the master link to the inside, closest to the wheel. A #25 master link as very small parts so be sure and do not loose them.If you have a Four Cycle engine be sure and add the correct amount of oil as per the engine manual. You can also add some gas or two cycle mix depending on the engine you have.Hold the gear box - engine in the upper part of the slot, then place chain over both sprocket and allow the gear box to lower. This will take the slack out of the chain if your chain was per cut. If not you will have to cut you own chain, use the highest position in the slot as possible. Then is the chain stretches you can lower the gear box to take the slack our of the chain. You do not want the chain too tight. You should be able to press in down about 1/16” of a inch in the center of the two sprocket. The Angle bracket should self align the chain. If not use a 5/8” snap ring, 14 or 18 gage machined flat washers to move the sprocket on the shaft to match the sprocket on the wheel. Use a flat bar or laser to align the two sprockets.
Install the remote stop - kill switch. The correct ends will be in with the switch, so you will have to cut or strip back 3/8” - ½” of outer coating, then crimp the connector on the wire.
Instructions for the Axle mounted Gear and Chain Drive kit. Page 4.Use the Black nylon ties to hold the throttle cable and wire to the frame. Be sure and do NOT hold the throttle cable too tight to the frame. It should be able to move freely. This will help the cable to return to a idle when you release the lever or twist grip. Test the throttle back and forth without the engine running and make sure it returns to the idle position before starting.Test the stop - kill switch before riding. If you switch does not work, Do NOT ride the bike until it has been replaced. If you throttle would happen to stick you need a way to stop the engine without having to rely on the bikes brakes to stop it.
Test ride the bike first without the engine started. Test the brakes and the gear shifting. Test again to make sure the engine kit is mounted correctly and nothing is contacting any thing. If the nuts or bolts are too close, use a flat washer by the head of the bolt or you may have to file them or use a different type of bolt and nut that is not included in the kit.Test ride in a closed area, not in the street with traffic. Test ride at a slow place, re test the switch to make sure it stops the engine.
Make sure the throttle is in the slow position, start the engine, test the stop switch to make sure it works, make sure it is placed where you do not have to move your hand to stop the engine. Do not ride if the stop switch is broke or missing. Make sure your hands and clothing are not in the way of moving parts. Wear eye protection then, lift the rear wheel and slowly increase the throttle and check the alignment of the chain. If out of align, stop the engine and re adjust. Test ride slow in a closed area, not in the street. Slowly increase the speed if everything is in alignment. Most of the engines will gain about 27% more power after they are broke in. Also, keep in mind that the chain may stretch. You will have to adjust the chain at least once in most cases. Check the complete bike and engine kit before each ride.The clutch engaging noise is normal and nothing to worry about. As you increase your speed the noise will stop. It is best when starting out that you pedal the bike 3-5 turns and help get moving. The larger the drive sprocket on the gear box the longer the “clutch noise” may sound. The gear box will also become smoother as time goes by after it “breaks in”.
Instructions for the Axle mounted Gear and Chain Drive kit. Page 5.Do not let the bike fall over or it could damage the starter & or engine.Always look and feel for any loose or missing bolts, chain tension, master link, miss alignment, check tire pressure & make sure you have good tread before riding, make sure your brakes are in good working condition, make sure the remote stop switch works at all times. Wear all safety gear & bright colored flag so others will see you.Ride at a slow safe speed. Obey all Local, City and state laws. Ride at your our Risk. Do not ride fast or at night. Be sure and look at the web site for close up pictures. This is a kit for the “Do It Your Selfer”.
The quality of this project depends on you. If you are not skilled, seek out professional help. DO NOT Attempt To Install. Your safety comes FIRST.Staton-Inc. Phone & Fax: 1-405-605-3765
3310 S. Brunson St.Oklahoma City, OK 73119 USA

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The rack mount chain kit was VERY easy to install. I did the kit without the instructions mostly, I looked at them a couple of times is all.