rear suspension

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Ya know, you guys are right..maybe a soldered tank. I'll search our threads for how to's and where to get sealer. It would sure add sweatness to the build.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Thx SB. Del Rio( Mb) just too rigid in the rear. Orange crate (Mb) got cut up. Too many goofs. But gain experience of what watch for. Or so I hope...lol

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hi magna, the bike was a 'genesis saber 2600', probably a Wally bike. Swing is alum. I've got giant air shock. I did not know how nice a 'real shock' behaved till I mounted it on my daily peddler. Another swap meet deal,bummer was the giant didn't have the forks. It has rebound adj. The giant frame was a swing arm design like this genesis, but chain stay was broke...15$

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I got one of those Genesis Saber bikes in my stock room that I've harvested the rear suspension off of but my intention was to make a new bellcrank for the shock to ride on the top tube behind the gas tank for better engine clearance... I haven't done anything with it yet, but I was going to ask you which engine you are planning on putting in that bike because the way the CG engines mount it would put the carb right about where the shock sits.
That's a really nice job grafting that suspension onto a cruiser frame tho and should allow room for a briggs type horizontal shaft engine

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hi dz, there's apic of 79 pred goin in. Buttttt... I have a lil hs142 and am spoiled by its quiet ness. Yeah Briggs,Curt dug one out for me, then at my local swap meet I run across 2. 3.5 horsers for 30$ ea. Butttt I got this 79 so I'm just gonna use it. The 30$ will buy the wide bb I'll need. It all just came together,the sore but, the ,and the frames.thx.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think it looks good for a motor-mount, you will also need to tie the top of the motor in somehow or it will move around. Look up sportsnam flyer's top mounts on his builds to get an idea.

I like the design of that tail section and the overall look of that frame, nice job...

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I thought that rear suspension was similar. I had a genesis v2100 and was going to put a hub on there before building my raptor. Anyhow, quite a few guys over at endless sphere had taken the aluminum V2100/sabre frame to over 50mph. It should be an awesome ride once you get it up and running.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well i looked up 'sportsman 200' and, now will copy what he did. In my visuals i didnt see a mount built that way. . Just got to get it right the first time. In my design the not good part is the seat tube mount. I found the part welded to the plate would have to be below the engine mount hole or no getting the bolt in. Well its good to know im speed rated to above 30..cause this lil engine has already had me prayin brakes dont fail me now!! Thx guys!!

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Got the pieces for the mm..putting them together..thx for the idea! There will be a top piece 4x4 spliting the seat post to mount the js. Using akg bearing hangers welded to 1" strips bolted to the 4" piece so I have adjustment. I'm wondering if, being a gentle shifter..if my nexus 3 speed would hold up...I'd hate to break it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Here's the project as a peddler...the wheels are cranbrook rims laced to disc hubs, using the huffy spokes. The rims are sturdy with nice spokes. Had to drill out spoke holes in the hubs. All this chop & build comes from this forum right here! Like the song...& you're the inspiration &..lol.Maybe lose the white walls. Was trying for a classic look. Gonna go red n black.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Here's the updated 'del rio' with all the legal stuff...is that a shifter????. and a lever clutch...doh..ssshh. I need to order another front tire..leave it to beaver to adj. brakes wrong..rubbed sidewall..pop!

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Have you hooked up the final drive chain yet? I think you might have a major problem on your hands with the chain slack.

With that geometry you might have slack that approaches or even exceeds 1" - maybe slack of two or more chain links. A regular tensioner can only take up slack of less than two links and who knows about the tensioner travel.

The reason bicycles and motorcycles can get away with it is because the pivot point is almost exactly in line between the front and rear sprocket centers, thereby keeping slack to a max amount of around 3/32". And since this bicycle was designed to be driven by the bottom bracket, it would satisfy this requirement for proper chain slack.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Point taken. This is how I deal with chain slack and stretch. Could use newer wheel..using those #35 chain half links just don't work for me. It's like I'm always half link short or long.

Attachments

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I meant slack due to suspension movement, not jus general slack. yours at full unloading it will be wherever and however you regularly set it, but then when you sit on the bike and hit a bump the chain will start seeing major slack. I'm not talking about one half link here or there. I mean like, 3 or 4 or 5 links. Or more.

Here is how I set my tension. My jackshaft plates have slots for the bearing mounts. I set the tension in the middle chains then use engine position and wheel position to set the outside two. But I don't have geometry changing suspension to worry about.

Attachments