what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Boutght her some oil and took her on a ride to the gas station and then a couple laps around the subdivision, seems like the more I ride her the better she runs. As soon as I get some brakes for her so I can quit using my feet as brakes she is going to get alot of miles put on her. I dont know what mix the previous owner was using but 2.2 gallons of gasahol and 8 oz of walmart brand oil and she runs much nicer than before and was able to make it up the steepest hill in my neighborhood with me peddling like a madman wich she wouldnt do a couple days ago, I cant imagine how much better she will be when I go to a 56t sproket next week.
Dang it.... 56T....?

That thing should climb a. Shear bluff with that kinda gearing with maybe a 20mph top speed Im guessing, a 48T should be perfect and still give you a 25mph top speed, my bikes will dang near climb straight up when I put a 44T sprocket on them but with a 49cc I bet a 48T will do a great job and still give you a little better cruise speed.

Just my thoughts but hey its your bike so build it the way you want it, that is all that matters.

Best wishes and hope I just keeps running better and better cor ya.

Map

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
FINALLY got my fill of the NT carb constantly flooding the wretched float... dropped the early CNC carb on... had to change controls as well... and could immediately feel the difference in performance. This went on my 'Flying Horse' on a 2010 blue Cranbrick (was called the "Beach Breeze" but now we call it "Grampa")... the Grubee manifold will not fit a FH btw. Used an aluminum 'wedding band' JB welded to the carb end to allow the carb to work. Love the way it handles.
Also started a rebuild on the clutch of a 2012 'Panama Jack' with a similar year Grubee motor- THAT will be finished tomorrow. There's also a 2012 24" Cranny that is (oddly enough) cranberry red... guess what we call it... that will require a minor retrofit of a gasket. Once all three are running, I will install what might turn into the ultimate in low-cost, reliable head/tail/brake/turn lights that run off the white wire... with four penlights as back up/voltage regulators! PLUS, no need for suppressive sparkplugs to allow the flasher to work!
Been buried in work these past few, but the weather is turning good and I will have my wrenching time! These suckers are FUN!!!

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Got my Dyno back up and running this time with a 36T. Scrambles up the inclines no problems and now Im really smoking my pals 4.5 Arrow set up.

Also purchased my first full carbon bike, holy mackerel I thought my Felt was a lightweight this new rig weighs less than half of the Felt road bike. Looking forward to some cardio this year.

Dan.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I took mine out for a quick rip this morning. It started right up after hibernating over the winter. I put a new spark plug in it and adjusted the chain. I just have to look into the back v-brakes. They seem too loose or not working properly.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Today I stripped the case out- head bolts and heavy hands are a bad combination.
-Been working to eliminate frustration in my daily routine- So....No worries here.
I took 2 drill bits- from just below the gasket surface, from the side of the motor, I drill into the stripped socket....Then with the larger bit, I enlarge the hole I've made. Zip/Zip through that opening with my wire feed welder (actually took a min to get it right) I fill/weld from the bottom of the stud, kind've pinning it in place from the side of the case. Imagine a dowel pin if it were wood.....Torqued it all down and she held!
Short trip ran fine- Time will tell how long it'll stay solid.

No worries- Cheap solutions for Cheap Motors- Or Innovative ideas....it was fun anyways!

-Richard

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I did some 'tweeking' on my Reese Sportwing bike carrier. The trip I made to New Mexico back in the Fall revealed a few issues that needed to be sorted before my next trip. Moved some padding, bent a couple of the support bars, and moved a couple of strap attachment points. Should work much better on my next trip ---- thinking Ohio, Pennsylvania, & Kentucky in May.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I cut the muffler off like an idiot, instead of more power it feels like less. I drilled holes in the air filter cover but havent ridden it since to assess the change.
Reducing back pressure is usually a good thing on these engines but remember you need to up the main jet most likely since it can flow more air through the engine with added flow from openint up the exhaust.

Clean the spark plug real good with a wire brush and a solvent like spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner, dry it off, put it back in engine and then go for a couple mile road trip, after you get back let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then pull the plug out and look to see what color it is, if its very light tan or white looking its for sure you need a larger main jet.

Map dnut

Last edited:

needtransportation

Mar 17, 2014
Knoxville
Replaced the fuel line and spark plug with a ngk bp6hs and then took her on a test ride with no helmet, brakes, or shoes and couldnt get her slowed down enough turn back into my driveway so I decided it was better to go down in grass than asphalt so I tried going over the curb and flipped over the handlebars and landed on my face and trashed my neck pretty bad, now is one of the times I wish I had health insurance...

I have learned my lesson and she will be locked safely away in the garage until I put brakes on it and buy a helmet.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
That reminds me of a friend, he was pulling his tractor behind his truck without trailer brakes and had someone pull out in front of him. He didn't wreck but came very close, ruined his bvd's I bet!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Replaced the fuel line and spark plug with a ngk bp6hs and then took her on a test ride with no helmet, brakes, or shoes and couldnt get her slowed down enough turn back into my driveway so I decided it was better to go down in grass than asphalt so I tried going over the curb and flipped over the handlebars and landed on my face and trashed my neck pretty bad, now is one of the times I wish I had health insurance...

I have learned my lesson and she will be locked safely away in the garage until I put brakes on it and buy a helmet.
Come on bro....... these are exactly the kind of mishaps that have the potential to give motorized bikes a bad rap, common sense says if it has a motor and no brakes its a no go situation until it does.....!

Glad you weren't seriously injured and hope what is injured heals fast but we all better be thinking about the big picture and not taking risk like that for multiple reasons, first it aint worth loosing life and or limb over and second one bad accident may be all it takes for some nut job with some pull and money in the area to mount a campaign against people having a motorized bike on the public roadways....... lots of people now days just itching for something to make themselves famous with......

Again hope you heal quick and good..... and as you said..... keep that's dang bike as something only to look at until you make sure its safe.....!

.wee.
MAP

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The first thing I do to any vehicle or motorcycle is check or go through the brakes, my son once asked me why. I told him " it don't have to run but it has to stop"!

needtransportation

Mar 17, 2014
Knoxville
I know im an idiot but I never left the subdivision and only two people saw it, one was a middle aged woman who didnt even offer to help and the other was a surveyor who wanted to buy the bike.

I found a front and back set of caliper brakes including levers, cables, calipers, and pads for $25 a few days ago but cant find them now, does anybody know where I can find a deal like that? If I can find them ill order them tonight but I cant afford more than that for a few more weeks so anything more expensive is out of the question

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
'' one was a middle aged woman who didnt even offer to help ''....dude.
You're lucky she didn't come horselaugh you as you lay writhing in pain.
I would have.
You should find a cheap or junked parts bike for your brakes. Cheaper than buying new.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Shoot, I cringed reading that spill story. I've treated folks with head and neck injuries. They can change your life quickly to a no-fun option. Picture being fed with a tube.
I'm sure it's sitting there all tempting to ride as it's new etc, but don't do it without the full setup including a lid!
Now I can sleep after writing that.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to hear that you went down. I am glad to hear that you were not hurt worse!
I also am glad to hear that you are going to install brakes before riding your bike again.

Please wear a helmet.

I once thought that I was too cool for one. My best friend and I were riding his motorcycle to his house, I was on the back. It was only a 4 block commute, there was nothing to worry about considering it was such a short trip.

You can never predict the future.

He ran a stop sign and t-boned a car.
I was in a coma for a week. I was breathing through a tube. I was fed through a tube.
I had a dozen tubes in my arms.

Mentally I have never been the same. It saddens me when I recall doing things that I can no longer do.

Please wear a helmet, each and every time you ride no matter where or how short the ride may be.

*Stepping down from soap box*

needtransportation

Mar 17, 2014
Knoxville
Thanks greg I ordered them and wont ride til they arrive.

Is there a way to know if a helmet on ebay is DOT approved or if the seller is just saying that? I found a nice looking chrome german style half helmet that looks cool and is fairly priced at about $40 shipped. I really dont think the standard walmart bike helmet is safe at road speeds and I want to at least get my kids out of diapers and eating solid food before im wearing them and eating from a tube.