Running fat tires?

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
right now I run 2.125 with a #41 machine chain. Yeah it's an issue with one resolve and that's to run 1.95s. Takes from the look but avoids the hash mark the chain will cut in. Because I don't use tensioners I prefer the big chain - it provides the sway forgiveness necessary (wide link)dance1 in a relaxed state..

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The largest tires I have on a motorized bicycle are 26x2.125`s on my cruiser, and there's about 1/8" clearance from sidewall to chain. Anything more than that and you definately need to get creative.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Using a rear tire fatter than 2.125 will require you to mount the engine offset to the left to avoid chain rub. That's what they do on OCC choppers.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Using a rear tire fatter than 2.125 will require you to mount the engine offset to the left to avoid chain rub. That's what they do on OCC choppers.
Yeah that's not practical on most bike frames. Your gonna reach a point in the frames design where the engine needs to be in a certain place and that is that. unless your a fabricator with frame jigs and a welder. better to look for a diff frame or more narrow tire wuntya think?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
What you got is good! MTN bikes can be more challenging.dance1
Both the MTN bikes in the garage have narrower tires, actually, 26x1.75(F), x1.95(R) on Harley59's and a pair of 26x1.95's on my beast. I'm thinking of swapping the knobby front off for a street tire, just haven't had the need to yet.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I sound like a hot air balloon when I ride- I "burst" the motor on, and it stays on during any long stretch
but when I'm in a residental area with lots of stops or cross traffic- I'm burstin on and off all the time-
the 1 1/8 and 1 1/4" tires will roll a half mile if I'm not pushing a headwind.
I like to roll up to a stop at "cycling speed" so I'm not wearing out the brake pads too.
very pleasant- long noisless rolls- periods almost like the old cyclin'
the motor's cooling down a bit too, and the gas mileage must be ridiculous
probably 200 mpg.

I was just thinkin yesterday they ought to sell a little urban electric car with skinny wheels that freewheels and you could power off and coast at speed.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The largest tires I have on a motorized bicycle are 26x2.125`s on my cruiser, and there's about 1/8" clearance from sidewall to chain. Anything more than that and you definately need to get creative.

That's the size I'm running on mine with about the same amount of clearance.