spark plug gap

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Anywhere from .020 to .035 is sufficient. Most run them @ .020-.024. I guess it depends on the derections as to what the suggested gap can be.

I have a Livefast economotor I just set up, and it is the first of many to have a bright blue spark with all stock components. I gapped the plug @ .035.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
The gap isn't critical on the HT engines unless you are pulling juice from the white wire then the gap needs to be on the smaller end.

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Hey ya'll,

I just wanted to share a neat (stupid) trick I learned while fooling around with NGK spark plugs. I've been using BPR6HS and BPR7HS plugs with my bike. I've noticed that the 7 plug runs a little too cold and the 6 plug runs a little too warm (each plug's gap is .025"). Well I took my 6 plug and adjusted the gap to .030" to cool the spark down a little. The bike runs just fine now .boogy1a

I've also fooled around with the carb settings to see if that would help, but I end up having to set it a little rich to get a decent idle.

Thanks,
Down South

Last edited by a moderator:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes.. A wider gap delays spark, smaller gap advances . That is about the only way to change spark timing on these little 2 stroke motors. Enjoy the ride..

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
Hey all how ya been? I was just wondering what gap to set my plug at for my 80cc engine kit. I am trying to see if I can get a better start out of my engine.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I run mine at anywhere from 0.017 to 0.020 thousands. I run my bikes with lights so if you don't use lights off the white wire you can gap it more. Play with the gap and find what works best for you.
I do use the stock spark plugs and I have 1 champion plug.
I modify the ground electrode on the china plugs and somewhere in the classic posts there is a picture of the plug and how I modify it.
being its a 2-stroke I try to run the cheapest plug I can find. So far I've had 1 china plug fowl out and could not keep it from fowling out so its in spark plug heaven.
I use a tiny dab of neverseize on the threads to, help prevent the plug form galling the threads.
Norman

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
(.022) I googled and came up with .019-.022 for top end speed and a little bigger for more low end.

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
How does the gap for the spark plug affect the way the motor runs? My spark plug is gaped at .025 and my motor will spit and sputter a little. My motor ran fine with the old plug that I had in it so I don't think it is rich or lean. When you change the plug style do you have to play with the gap to see where the motor runs best at? Should I increase the gap by .005 each time or what is a good number to use in this case.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Make sure you're using a good quality spark plug, like NGK.
I think they're the best. They resist fowling and last a long
long time. Your spark gap should be about .020 - .022", if
the gap is too wide it will require more current from your
CDI unit to make a hotter spark, and you may be a little too
rich on your carb needle setting if the plug looks black and sooty.
I suggest getting a new NGK plug, you can always use a spare.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Pikehook, Welcome. There Are Some Members Close To You. I Am From Wi. About 80 Mi E Of Twin Cities. The Ice Must Be Off Of Mil Lacs Now. Ron

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
my friend has a 66cc SkyHawk, anyway he had a hard time starting his and our instructions said to gap it at .036, so I told him to go to .028 so he did and lost top end, so now he runs it at .034, !now has his top end back, we run our oil mix at 25/1

StealthJPL

Sep 10, 2011
San Diego, California
Hey guys, I am going to google this but I was wondering if you know who makes the 80 cc engine. I know it is chinese, but does anyone know the name of the company. I am going to replace the cheap ass chinese gaskets that are made out of a crude paper with high quality american gaskets. Any pointers would help. Thanks.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Hey guys, I am going to google this but I was wondering if you know who makes the 80 cc engine. I know it is chinese, but does anyone know the name of the company. I am going to replace the cheap ass chinese gaskets that are made out of a crude paper with high quality american gaskets. Any pointers would help. Thanks.
I think the only way you're going to do that is to get some good gasket material and cut your own gaskets, using the stock gaskets as templates.