I'm new and have so many questions! (Colorado)

GoldenMotor.com

Stove

Sep 27, 2012
Colorado
Hey guys, I'm Steve. I hope you can help me get a bike and get riding!

I'm brand new, but I'm extremely interested. Just saw a motirized bike for the first time a couple days ago and am wanting to put one together myself. My problem is that the more research and digging I do, the more confusion I find! I've looked through these boards quite a bit and am ready to get some personalized help if you guys wouldn't mind.

So, first of all, here's what I'm looking to build. I went out and got a Cranbrook Cruiser at Walmart. From what I've gathered, I beleive I'm looking for a 49cc 2-stroke motor kit. I'm trying to keep the cost of the kit between $150 and $200 if possible. I see people saying you want something brand name and I see other people saying to get the lowest price with shipping since they are all kind of the same.

My next concern is the legal aspect. I'm in Colorado and am planning on riding in Aurora and the Denver Metro Area. Looking at the DMV site, I don't see any clear rulings on a bicycle with a motor on it. I looked at a lot of threads on this forum and found many different views and situations. Do i need to get it registered for the 5 to 6 bucks and put a sticker on there, or will I be fine riding it under bicycle rulings? What I'd really love is some insight from somebody with experience riding in the area.

Again I'm completely new so I would greatly appreciate any advice or information you guys could give me. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Hey Stove, welcome to the fun!

Well, I don't know about any laws in your state but for the bike, I'd also go with Dax and then get a sprocket adapter for your hub at pirate cycles or from a guy named "Geo" found in the Shop & Swap....don't know if he's got a site up yet though.

I think that if your state has moped laws that follow bicycles, you may have to put lights, and blinkers on it. Where did you see the one you saw? Was it in your neck of the woods? If so, if he's riding his "stock" you should also.

usflg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Keep up with this crowd. > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41351 Maybe we'll get to meet you soon and give you some pointers on dealing with Colorado laws, which are vague at best. There is a section called 'Low Powered Scooters' that some jurisdictions try to enforce but it doesn't apply to motorized bicycles.

Personally I've never encountered a problem with Jefferson County or the State Patrol. In fact one Jeffco Deputy rode one of my bikes and loved it. And he was on duty.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the Denver Area Riders, also known as DAR.

Tom

Stove

Sep 27, 2012
Colorado
I really appreciate the replies you guys. I can't wait to move forward with my project. I've been researching and pondering. My plan is to get decent 66cc engine kit on my bicycle hopefully be able to ride it to work or school from time to time. I won't do it out of necessity, I think it would just be great fun and freedom!

So what I understand from your reply, 2door, is that there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with legality in that area. Does this mean the guys that get together for rides just have their bikes with kits and no registration stickers or anything of that sort? It would be nice to not have to go through too much red tape to start riding, but I'm certainly willing to if it's the proper and sensible way to go about things.

Thanks again everyone!

LongJohn

Jun 27, 2018
You might be able to just bring it to the local Police Dept. or even do it all by mail. I would give one of the smaller PD's a call :)