First kit build here in arkansas

GoldenMotor.com

Ciro

Jun 18, 2012
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Hi all, ill be breaking my motor in this weekend, grubee skyhawk 66cc, first kit build, I did build a 5hp briggs & straton mounted on a walmart mtn bike when I was 14 that was all made from scrap laying around, now that I'm 26 and after thinking about how much fun that was I invested in a kit thinking it would be a lot more simple to build, got the majority of the kit installed in about 6hrs and that was taking my time to make sure everything was right, only issues I ran into was the stuck clutch plate, stripped out 2 of the bolts on the sprocket, cut the chain too short and had to salvage a link and knock a pin out of the scrap chain and press it into the link I had to add onto the existing chain (I did measure twice but I still cut the wrong link like a tard) and the exhaust clearing the pedal was a simple fix, I don't recommend it but I bolted it onto the motor and just bent it by hand while knowing it could damage the top end or shear the bolts but it didn't. You'll probably hear from me this weekend after break in or if something breaks ill be ranting about how cheap these things are made, I'm basically counting on the already low quality chain to break and bend my rim to worthlessness since I had to add a link but I guess we'll see how she goes!

--Ciro

Ciro

Jun 18, 2012
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Thanks for the response! I think with that being said ill just get a different chain when I go out and buy the rest of what I need before break in, I'm lost with all the talk about what chain to go with though, I've heard of people using a #41 or 415 vs the stock 410 bc they are thicker/more sturdy but I'm confused about what these numbers refer to, why is the format so different between #41 vs 410 or 415 if the chains are so similar? Why did you choose the #41 over the 415? What are the drawbacks and if there isn't any why doesn't everyone use the #41? Some1 school me on chains plz

whitefiretiger

Jun 16, 2012
Nebraska, USA
I've never heard of 410. To my knoledge all the kits come with 415.

I beleave 415 is metric (accouding to the shops where I like 415 is obsolete as a motorcycle chain and not carried around here anymore.

I was able to get 41 chain in town and was $14 for 10 feet ( that's two chains worth). It is slightly more narrow then the stock chain was but that was fine by me as the stock chain had too much slop from side to side for my liking.
supposably the 41 has a higher string as well because it is mainly used in industrial equipment.

I'm not a chain expert but I did talk to a lot of places the deal with chain all time and I was highly recommended to switch to the # 41 chain do to it strength and better fit for my application as well as for the better fit. all other stuff for cations for the chain are the same as 415.

Ciro

Jun 18, 2012
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Well I found the sticky: chain size chart under chains gearboxes and sprockets on this forum and I get that the #41 is stronger and with my weight of 260lbs that's the one I'm going with, I'm hoping I can get it at lowes when I go in for the 2 bolts I stripped out on the sprocket, thanks for the recommendation! Btw even though its irrelevant I still want to know why they give the chain the number they do, I figured it would be like a serial number on a gun or a vin on a car giving all the info you need to know about it as long as you understand the format, just one of those things I need to figure out before I'm driven insane just like when a little kid asks "why" after every response that's given lol

Ciro

Jun 18, 2012
Hot Springs, Arkansas
I just looked up the laws here in arkansas and I'm gonna have to buy the 48cc motor now or I'm going to have to register it as a motor driven cycle, guess I shouldve checked the laws first but I do like to rebel sometimes and the 66cc may stay on it for a while but if I do decide to get the smaller motor will it swap out and fit just like the 66cc? Also the law states that I need to have a headlight good for 250 feet any1 have an opinion of what the best 6 volt head light would be or if other headlight options would be better vs using the 6v power robbing wire from the cdi?

whitefiretiger

Jun 16, 2012
Nebraska, USA
Don't worry about the 48cc law. For your size you'll need the extra power. Just if there's a tag that says the cc remove it. There's no way they will know as the bigger one is the same size outside.
The only thing I worry about is here the law says cannot exceed 30mph. And I know they will pull mopeds/ motor bicycles over here if you do more than 35mph or do 30+ in a 25 zone.

As for headlight I'm running 2 led bicycle headlights and its more than enough. The law here says headlight/ tail light must be visable from 500feet. Beleave it or not on my one bike for a tail light I have a single red led that can be seen from 700 feet so if all you need is 250feet that should be no problem at all.
Now if your wanting light that is better for you to see at night then you'll have to try a few things but my favoriet is a high power cree led flashlight.

I won't tap into the motor to power lights because when I did the cdi wasn't getting enough power to run correctly. Also if the motor dies so do the lights.

Did you check the laws for mirrors?

I think I'm supposed to have at least one but I've got none and still not pulled over. They pulled me over for a non dot helmet tho.

For the flashlight look here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1600-Lumen-...4836735?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item2a15d3ecff

Last edited:

Ciro

Jun 18, 2012
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Well I guess I could remove the Id plate bc the serial # is stamped on the sprocket cover but I've heard that your not supposed to remove any identifying marks on a motor or it could be considered stolen or something, ill probly remove it. As far as the mirror and helmet laws there isn't any in this state, I guess they are advocates of natural selection around here lol. I think ill be cutting the 6v line from the cdi and going with battery power, whenever I go on night rides with the dirtbike I tape flashlights to my fore arms but I'm going to be using this as a commuter gas saver and that would just be too much tape (hurts like heck removing the tape if I'm not wearing long sleeves too) I would tape a flashlight to the handlebars but the tweakers around here will steal anything that isn't bolted down, I'm wondering if I can use a rifle scope mount to fit those cheap $5 led flashlights you see at the gas stations, I guess ill see what they have at walmart for bicycle lights. Thanks for all your help tonight, I appreciate you sending me down the right bike path!

whitefiretiger

Jun 16, 2012
Nebraska, USA
On eBay they sell handlebar mounts to use flashlights.

Lol most of these motors I've seen don't have more than a sticker that tells about them and that comes off on its own over time. I vote to remove the I'd marks and if asked say "its 48cc"