New member from Florida w/ some questions.

GoldenMotor.com

Iwannaride85

Apr 19, 2012
Florida
I will be starting on a bike soon. I have been doing some research on engine kits and such but nothing seems 100% legit. I came across the Grubee Skyhawk 2011 66c/80cc and Grubee engine kits overall. Are they worth the 200 bucks? I'm not expecting these engines to last a lifetime but I want to know if they will at least get me moving on my first bike. Any suggestions/advice/or pictures of your Grubee kits? Thank you everyone in advance!
http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/drn2.gif

Attachments

Iwannaride85

Apr 19, 2012
Florida
Well I ended up going with the Grubee 2011 Skyhawk GT5 66cc/80cc angle fire slant head. What does 66cc/80cc mean? I don't have to tell you how little I know about this stuff if I have to ask that question but thats what I'm in this forum for. I need some help so I do appreciate your time to respond. I plan on mostly using it for transportation as I will soon be starting school. It's roughly 6 miles there making it about 12 miles roundtrip. I was going to just bike there everyday but after doing a trial ride the other day and hurting badly afterwards I decided to invest in something that can get me somewhere as a bike but can also move by itself. I am 27 years old but I have two tours of duty in Afghanistan as an infantryman and my legs aren't what they used to be. I will mostly be riding on side streets and sometimes crossing major intersections but I have my drivers license and I checked local laws so I should be fine.
http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/usflg.gif

Bryson England

Apr 25, 2012
Mineralwells, WV
I rode my first one for three years and thousands of miles. I m currently riding a 29 inch I built use the grubee engine and in expect it to last longer than the last one. I for mine from gasbike. Everything needed and more was in the kit. Well worth the $242.00 I paid. That included shipping and the universal mount kit.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Something to think about before buying a HT kit...and yes, they are worth every penny in my book.

Buying a (Happy Time) Chinese 2 cycle kit.

1.There are many sellers of these kits, both from different vendors and on Ebay.
2.Most sellers don’t have a warranty, or back up the stated warranty. Very few do.
3.Do a search as to the ones that are reputable, many different complaints from a number of suppliers.

4.Don’t expect to build a MB bike for much less then a minimum of $200.00 plus the bike cost. To me cost isn’t a factor. I’m riding with the same engine since 2009 ($126.00 delivered), it was the cheapest I could find. Wasn’t sure how I’d like it, and before I joined the forum. I did my own modifications. Later on the subject.
5.These kits are NOT installed and ride. Expect to make some modifications for longevity. To do it right the first time, I took about 16hrs. I have had zero engine problems in any engine I did the mods too. I do my complete list.
6.For the most part, these kits are all about the same. It’s a roll of the die.

7.Just about every possible question about this engine has been asked, diagnosed and answered. A search will find that your questions have been covered many times over. Can’t find it? Sometimes it’s hard to find. Just ask. Pictures are a great help, this goes along with a detailed question, and not just “Help?????” Personally I don’t know what a “thingy is” (does anyone?) here is a site that list parts by name. This should help; it did for me as some names of parts are specific to these kits.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/2stro...vshi19srjuq544 Thank you bicycle-engines.com
8.We also have stickies that cover just about everything about all MB builds.
They are a good source of information.

9.Stay away from “Chrome” painted engines if possible as these engines are air cooled and “BLACK” dissipates the heat better, all mine are either black, or no finish at all.
10.Take your time building, and you will have a safer, better ride.
After building, while breaking it in, I suggest a fuel mixture of 20:1 to start with, not 16:1 as the book states…if you even get one. Here is the manual.
http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/STARFIR...STRUCTIONS.htm Thank you grubeeinc.com
11.Here are the modifications “I” make. Pick out what you want is any.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...QUZq2qXXE/edit

We are all here to help, have a ball and a safe ride.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Be careful you don't have a Florida friendly kit. Florida's moped requirements are must have peddles, under 50 cc, no manual clutching and engine can't drive multiple gears. I'm telling you this because Florida is getting tougher on motorized bikers.

Last edited:

Iwannaride85

Apr 19, 2012
Florida
Thank you for taking your time to reply to my questions. I do appreciate it. I already received my engine and am in the middle of working on my ride. I will keep everyone posted with pictures and future questions I foresee about my engine.