why is there grease in my...

GoldenMotor.com

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
While riding home from work this afternoon, the mb just could not make any speed, it just felt that my clutch was slipping. so I got home and took apart the clutch side cover and there was grease all over the place.

I have about 1500 miles on the grubee engine and have not seen this before, is the seal behind the clutch blown or what? I do not think that I have over lubed the gear.

do I need to completly dissasemble the whole clutch to find out? Thank you for your time to help me out, I love riding my mb....

Royce

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Try taking off the pressure plate, then clean it and the pucks with alcohol. Reassemble, adjust it and take another look in a week.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Alcohol is my favorite for brakes and clutches. Brake cleaner probably works fine. Just keep it out of the bearings.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Don't spray. Apply the solvent (alcohol or brake cleaner) to a clean rag and wipe the pucks and pressure plate. However, there are things in the vicinity of the clutch that must remain well lubed, like the primary gears, main bearings and clutch carrier bearings. It will begin to make sense to you as you progress through the cleaning.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Thanks for the advise wheelbender6, I will proceed this evening and try to get it all cleaned up, oh by the way can you you use gasket sealer because my gasket broke taking it off, I have used some non hardening on my KLR with good luck.

Royce

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Only real reason for a gasket there is to keep water out. Any kind of non-permanent gasket maker is fine. You need a heavy grease on the gears. They are rougher than a cob and a source of much of the engine noise when first breaking in the motor. An axel-type grease is best so it stays in place, front wheel bearing grease that is ;)

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I trashed my gasket. It fell apart after using it for a long time, and I just decided to not use it. I park my bike in a garage though, too. Also sanded the mating surfaces flat to make somewhat of a good seal without the gasket.