Help this bike is irritating!

GoldenMotor.com

jonvb69

Jul 27, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
Ok so i feel like ive gone through this whole bike over and over again... Ive replaced My ignition wire or w.e. the black box... i have a new spark plug in... and the carb. has been cleaned and is in tip top shape. I had it running yesterday with the old ignition (black box) hook up but the top to where it plugs into the sparkplug was broken... so i jimmy'd it to stay on with tape and what not... today i woke up to go to work and it wouldnt work at all, just backfiring... went and got a new ignition black box... replaced the old one and proceed'd to get it running to get to work... it got me there but very slowly and back firing the whole way... I went through the carb looking at it and what not thinking it was flooding or something but i dont believe so. Throttle is fine its opening and closing like it suppose to. wires are crimpted together and i am getting spark out of my sparkplug... basically all that is left to replace on the dang thing is a carb... which i dont think is the problem... and the magneto or coil... My killswitch is disengaged as well... When i try to start it up just backfires a little bit. :-|| HELP ME PLEASE! It would be greatly appreciated. This is my transportation! : ( SOOO far about 400 spent and its getting to the point where its not even worth this hassel but then again i guess i really dont have a choice : / GOTTA work

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Check you rmuffler. IF the muffler has a nut on the end take that off and pull the cap off and see if its clogged.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did you replace that spark plug boot that you taped together?
Go to any auto parts store and buy an automotive quality boot. Solder or securely crimp the conductor of the plug wire into the metal part of the boot and replace the spark plug with a good one, preferably the much recommended NGK brand.
Let us know what's happening.
Tom

jonvb69

Jul 27, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
Ive already replaced the spark plug thing that plugs in the top of the spark plug and goes to the black box and i bought 3 new NGK brand spark plugs tried all 3 didnt make a difference i noticed where my magneto was the screws were loose from it falling out of balance or what not so i tightened them up and fixed that problem i got it to where it will start up run about 10 feet really rough then cut off im thinking it might have something to do with the carb but the carb looks fine but i dunno when i first installed my engine gas filled up the first hose to the filter then all the way to the carb now ill prime it the whole hose will fill up and as soon as i release it an air bubble will come out of the carb and go right up the hose and push all the fuel that was in the top hose connecting to my gas tank empty it never did that before basically Ive replace the Ignition thing that connects to the spark plug... replaced spark plugs... adjusted magneto... Re-Crimped my wires from engine to Ignition box and kill switch when i replaced the black box... I tried messing with the prong things a little bit in the carb casing and still nothing : / just a little movement and backfiring... Bad Carb?

jonvb69

Jul 27, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
Its just frustrating because there isnt to much to the engine so if i replace the carb i dont know what else it could really be except mabye replacing the coil but im still getting sparks from the spark plug so it makes me think that that isnt the issue something to do with gas getting to the engine. If it fires up somewhat then its not my connections i wouldnt think b.c i came across that problem before... This engine is only like hmm 2-3 weeks old too so that just makes me even more frustrated. Basically its getting what it needs to fire up but not going all the way... Lack of gas or something the spark is what triggers it to turn over i believe and its doing that but not wanted to quiet get there. Ive had it backfire before and itll do it after sitting for a little bit then trying to run it but it would start right up no problem and clear up.

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hard starting and popping can also be a compression leak at the head. Pull your head and with some 600 grit paper on a flat surface like a piece of polished marble (some people recommend glass I don't because it can shatter) and slide the head back and forth and inspect to see that the mating surface is true, then replace the head gasket and retorque the nuts. If you have acorn nuts on the head studs consider replacing them with standard m6x1 locking nuts because the acorn nuts tend to bottom out on the stud and not hold the head down properly.

Also check you plug to see if it is dark black that would indicate a rich condition and you might have to adjust the needle clip on the slide or rejet it to your altitude accordingly If it is white ashy looking you are running lean and may have an air leak.