New member, new build.

GoldenMotor.com

Ride Like The Wind

Mar 6, 2011
WA
I wish to introduce myself and my project. I live in Everett, WA and work 5 or 6 miles away. I plan on building a MB with a Grubee Skyhawk on a Schwinn Windwood. Downframe looks like it might be too large in diameter, but the bike looks rugged, and should make for a "cool" MB.

Before I order I thought it wise to seek input and tips from other members on this combination.

I have been visiting this site for a couple weeks and value all the info in your posts.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum! Your in good company. Feel free to ask any questions. Lot of real great helpful folks here.

Ride Like The Wind

Mar 6, 2011
WA
Thanks GH, for your encouragement.

I put the drive sprocket on today, but found the Grubee GT-5 engine won't fit on the Schwinn Windwood Cruiser front tube without either drilling or buying the adapter. Or a muffler clamp modified. I am sending for the Universal adapter.

I figure I better shock mount everything. What do you think about a radiator hose?

Meanwhile I will continue the build with the handlebar install.

I hope this thing works.

Ride Like The Wind

Mar 6, 2011
WA
Update. I fired up the bike today and idled it and motored it around the parking lot out back for about an hour. There is like a 15 degree incline and it is a little less than 1/4 mi. track size. Put 4 oz. oil in a gallon but only fueled a cup or so. Just a check ride and break in idle. Seems to work but a little wimpy on power. Full throttle chocks it out on the climb, but it is still a break in. I will celebrate Easter this weekend so, I won't really break it in until next week. I will upload a picture soon, but this is my evaluation. IT WORKS!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Deff take it easy during break in , check head bolts after each ride , keep an eye on tentioner as they are notorious for rotating into wheel if not properly tight.
I always hard mount rad. Hose or any other rubber will break down soon! If motor needs shims cut hunks of diff size pipes to adapt .
Hopefully you did not drill any holes into frame,lots of us do that ONCE and our then sorry...
Welcome and good luck

Ride Like The Wind

Mar 6, 2011
WA
Update. I have been commuting for a week now, and I guess I am past the break in period. The "little mule (Pepe)" has proven to be reliable transportation.
I keep it down to to 25 or so both for revs and safety, though I bought a good sturdy coaster to mount it on.
No holes into frame, but bought the u-clamp as suggested.
The CNS carb was garbage. I bought the NT carb and can now accelerate UP hills.
I was throwing the drive chain, so I moved the idler to the pedal side, took out a link, and haven't thrown a chain since. It is safer too.
I will post pictures and tips for anyone who wants to build on a Schwinn Windwood over the 4th of July weekend. When I am not riding for fun.

Coolest bike in town.