Power wiring question.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Ok, so I want a 12v motorcycle battery on my chopper. I already have it, and I've already had it hooked up on a previous bike, running neons. Now however, I want to figure out a way to run a power wire to my ipod stereo speaker, which I have mounted on the handlebars. The speaker only runs on batteries, but I know that there's a way to run bare power wires into the speaker somehow, to allow it to run off of the motorcycle battery, bypassing the normal battery compartement. I know the voltage is likely not the right voltage and all that, not to worry, I have other speakers that are going to be used as well, which I have already figured out how to do, and have tested. All that's left is this one damn speaker, my question.... How do I wire my motorcycle battery to run my battery only ipod speaker?

Thanks guys, any help/links would be appreciated.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
AB,
I would think that the input voltage is an important issue to consider. Your ipod is probably something like 2 or 3 volts. Introducing 12v into it might not be a good idea. Why not get another battery of the correct voltage. It wouldn't have to be near as large as the motorcycle battery and could mount easily. Just my thoughts. I have two batteries on one bike; a 12v for the main headlight and a small 6 v for the tail and brake light. I carry them both in a nylon pouch strapped to the saddle.
Tom

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
hey addicted bycycles thank you for the idea on running neons on motorized bike i install mine on the trike a let me tell you it looks pretty them cool i ride with them at night and people see me from far away give this guy a call his name is bill his the one that install my neon on my bike 520-777-0924 usabikemotors.com

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I'm aware of the voltage difference, I actually plan to compensate for that. I plan on hooking up 4 different speaker devices up, as well as headlight, taillight, and neons. This is why I want the big battery. I will get everything I need to properly control the voltage, but I need to know how to get an actual power wire to this one style of speaker. There is no option for plugging it in at all. It runs solely on 2 aaa batteries. I know if I open it up, and attach a positive and negative somewhere, the batteries can be bypassed, and I can hook it up to my 12v. Again, don't worry about the voltage, I'll deal with that, I just want to make sure I get proper advice with the wiring, because I don't want to electrocute myself. lol.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
The best way I can think of would be to open up the speaker and solder the power wires to the wires coming from the battery compartment. They are usually even colour-coded for ya ;)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
As a rule in small battery powered devices positive has a tab, negative has a spring and when using two batteries there will be a solid contact bar for the bridge. When wiring direct ignore the bridge.