Motors, Pro's and Con's

GoldenMotor.com

Cafe Racer

Jun 17, 2010
San Francisco
Hello,

Planning on my first build. Was hoping that I could get group feedback on your experience. So to make it short...

What would be the top two 2-Stroke motor brands?
What would be the top two 4-Stroke motor brands?

Reasons for your choice? Does cost of motor also translate to quality? How about motor longevity? In San Francisco we have alot of hills. Ideas?

I have a decent history in motorcycling. I have built, tracked, raced, rebuilt.... etc. Now I would like to give building a sweet motorized bicycle for the City and for my commute. Yes, to save on even more gas and also save on parking!

All ideas are great. Thanks folks. Looking forward to becoming an active member.

Ciao!

Miguel

Attachments

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
In the chinese two stroke market. Brand and cost don't mean much, you want to look for a decent dealer as these motors are a 'pig in a poke' and having some customer service just in case is nice.

I don't know much about the four strokes, except that my buddy has one and I could have bought 3 two strokes for what he paid. And the engine he has does not seem to lend itself as well to the do it yourself modding that the China Doll offers.

I was also told that the 4 stroke is more reliable, that may be, but I use my HT motor for a daily driver and it holds up fine, I do have a small tool kit in my back pack just in case never really had to use it though.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I know what you are saying about hills , I was 236.3 lbs but have lost some body weight in two weeks pedeling and weighing 225.2 now. My dream is 198 pounds and an 2 stroke motor that makes 2000 miles without so much pedeling but ; my body weight will be 180 at the 2 stroke 2000 mile mark . look at some threads and see which motors have less problems I guess... and if you find someone who says their 2 stroke made 2000 miles , would you beleive them ? I might ! ok found one scroll down on this post until you see the 2000 mile coment ,,, but dont say what motor though http://motorbicycling.com/f3/ran-out-gas-first-time-13101-2.html

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
there you have it cafe , Ferball , and Joe know an whole lot about these engines , I had to post again on this one . Almost 10,000 miles , that's a dang good deal for the money for these motors . hope I get 2000 miles I would be very happy and impressed. I feel that just the gas I would save by then would pay for the motor,,, If I went 10,000 miles on an 2 stroke , I would be bragging big time. I will search threads for such testimonies until my 2 stroke comes

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Motors from our sponsors cost a bit more, but they will help you solve any problems, replace faulty parts or supply missing parts. When you buy a motor from an auction site, your are on your own for the most part.
I would think a 2 stroke motor with an SBP jack shaft shift would do well in the hills around the bay. You could accomplish the same with a four stroke and CVT.
Just check out the photo gallery, read posts by those who have built similar motorbikes and decide what you want.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Right on, kicking

Hey forueasy, can we get a price list for your hybreds?
Hey nid I miss CA everytime I hear Bob Seger sing about those hills , I know quite a few people around that area . My sis met billy joel out there. My wife and I are stuck with John Prine lol. If im in the area and can think of it .I might ring your number . providing im not in fla visiting with Danny Joe Brown or Prine lol ( Do you have an shop around there ? ) anyways. glad to see you come aboard . sounds like cafe might even be near you. latter

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
350 for a built stock cylinder motor
600 for a 5hp 63.5cc 2 pedal reed motor
800 for a 8hp 69cc pyramid reed motor
shipping included but no carbs or exhaust

Cafe Racer

Jun 17, 2010
San Francisco
I have seen the motor named Grubee. I think I have read that these are quality motors. Is that the general concensus on Grubee? It is a Chinese motor too, right?

Thanks!

Michael