depenability

GoldenMotor.com

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i have run into people who say these motors are not dependable and usually no not last that long...yet i have read threads that say they have 3000 miles on their.ly.r bike ..1500 ...700 whats the truth?

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Welcome to the forum and the addiction. Enjoy the ride.

I have had my 80cc Flying Horse Motor kit on the same bike for over two years now and I use the same
Cheap Dollar General Coastal 2-Stroke 50:1 oil at $0.80 a bottle to a gallon of fuel. I have been running the same set-up the whole time. I paid $120.00 for the kit and $20.00 at the flea-market. I would say I got my $$'s worth. But that's just my experience.

Pablo is also correct that luck has a good part of it but if you purchase from one of the vendors on this site, Luck is on your side. The vendors here are great and they will help out any way they can. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, that's what we are here for.

Once again welcome.

Attachments

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i think you hit it on the head ADDICTION...i have built custom cars...hot rods..custom golf carts...and i run a auto swapmeet in the california high desert for the last 10 years...these motorized bikes are cheep to build..fun to customize...will post my first build soon after i;m done

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've had no motor related problems with the two i own. one's got about 1500 miles, the other a lot more than that, and it's heavily modified and i beat the he!! outta it all day long.

the only parts i've really had problems with are chains. they're junk, and like to snap with no warning. and for the record, mine's in perfect alignment...

the way i look at it, is if my motor blew up today, i got my money's worth.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No in-frame kit is truly "bolt n'go" and I suspect that misconception is where a lot of the "unreliable" complaints stem from. While it's true that the low-priced Chinese engines lack quality control, purchasing from a reputable vendor will help should you just get a defective kit - almost all of the rest of the complaints I've seen really do amount to operator error in some form or another, most commonly installation problems & oversights.

Which is where this forum comes into play ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "blaming" anyone, although these kits are simple and the build can be easy - modifying anything is an experimentation process prone to problems and this is only more true for the first build. Add in the propensity for folks to "scrimp" on their first build, using the least expensive bike they can find, only the kit supplied parts, and even lacking basic engine experience - all in all I think it's a testament FOR the reliability of these small engines that we've as many successful builds and happy riders as we do.

Heck - I'd blame the kit supplied "rag joint" rear sprocket for at least 75% of the major issues people have had and that's an easy fix... if you're aware that's the root of the problem in the first place :)

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Once again BA shows us all why he is a moderator. I'm not trying to be funny. There are those of us who think we know all we need to know about these little gem's, just to be shown we are all different just like our builds. There are no mods that will work the same on all engines. They have all an attitude of their own. BA thank you again for taking the reigns and putting a sensible bit of insight and knowledge in a thread.