what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks... yeah, I'll be busy for the next several weeks for sure, and since it's been so long since I've worked in the auto industry I have a lot of classes I need to take so I can get my certs back. Mainly the state inspection cert and I got my son and I set up to go to that class and test on tuesday, then I need to get the AC cert since that's a big money maker here in Texas so I'm also studying that material in whatever free time I have. I still need to interview and hire at least one mechanic who hopefully has those certs as well. Then I spent most of the afternoon on the phone with the bank getting the credit card machines ordered and set up... I've never had to deal with that issue before and thought it would just be a quick phone call, but they ask for Everything when you call them, then they forward you to someone else... who asks you for all that info again... then they email me a whole pile of stuff to sign, scan, and send back

So far I got about an hour of run time on the gasket I installed and there's no issues at all so it looks like they'll hold up to just about anything... once I come up with an efficient way to cut them on the machine.. lol

For the copper gasket, I cut 2 of them at 1/8" thick and then I annealed both of them dead soft... one is on my bike and the other is going to your address for you to put thru the ringer as well, then I got a few that were cut out of the .030" thick copper and I sent one along with that head with instructions how to anneal it, and have a few of them left over that I'll just send out to people when i send them stuff. I really need to perfect the cutting process with these since the copper tends to work harden as it's being cut, but I got an idea that might speed things up. I was cutting another 1/8" thick one and it was going good then started to chatter really badly and broke an end mill before I could hit the emergency stop, I checked everything, put in a new end mill thinking the first one was dull, ran the program and as soon as it hit that one spot it broke another one... I ended up getting it cut but had to slow the feed speed down to a crawl. Afterwards I was reading about how copper has a very poor machinability because it work hardens so I'm thinking if I cut out one, then stop and anneal the piece before cutting the next one I can avoid all that, or I'll need to cut the sheet down and cut out one at a time, either way I'll come up with something that works... As I get more time on the machine I'll be looking to make some adapters and brackets etc out of aluminum since the aluminum don't have that type of problem the copper does and the machine can rip thru it like butter.

Good deal man.... all that sounds like a winner to me..

Map

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Here is a deal you cant beat with a stick in my opinion, 12 ga spoke and a good steel wheel master wheel...24"

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...cle-wheel-24-x-2-125-36h-steel-bolt-on-silver

$17.24

Also here is a bunch more to look through if the wheel master isn't what you have in mind.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wheels/wheels/24

Map
Awesome! That is a great price. I ended up ordering the Wheel Master Wheel you posted .wee.

I also ordered the MM Sprocket Adapter w/ 36T Sprocket, a JNM X-Port, and a NGK BPR7HIX Spark Plug, so this weekend I should get some good work done.

Yesterday I installed the mirror and speedometer, and found this new build is only pushing about 20mph. The engine definitely needs some tuning, it is past break-in and really should be pulling more speed. My old build easily reached over 40mph, even though it was a major "learning" project.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've been working on this on and off in my free time but i got my Girvin/Noleen fork finished and put back together. Got this thing off ebay a few weeks ago and it was pretty easy to tell it was about 20 years old so I took it all the way apart, cleaned everything and re painted the fork legs and all the previously painted parts as well as re lubed all the bushings, then the original polymer that they used as shocks back then I replaced it with a modified go kart shock and a custom wound spring for this fork.
It's ready to install now and needs to be partially disassembled in order to install it, but this thing is rock solid and weighs less than half what the stock Roadmaster front suspension fork weighs.
I went with this type suspension since it's a very old design and been proven with superior handeling charicteristics as well as being unique and cool looking. Hopefully I'll be able to install it tomorrow, and it won't be raining so I can test it out.

Last edited:

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Today I'll be installing a 23t pedal cog on my rear wheel. Currently running a 36t chain ring to an 18t cog, so this will lower my pedal gearing from 2:1 to 1.6:1.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
And one more stroke of good luck... Right as I was checking my email earlier I get a message from Treatland that they have the dual variated Morini engines in stock again so I did the right thing and bought one... I like these because they have a CVT built into them so it's just twist the grip and go. These engines make about 4.5 to 5hp stock, but there is a 70cc big bore kit available and with the CVT and the right gearing it should make my next project nice and fast, not to mention there's still plenty enough room for improvement as far as compression and port timing and pipe design. These engines usually sell out fast when Treatland has them in stock so grab one if you got the money and want one...

https://www.treatland.tv/franco-mor...start-eng-p/franco-morini-complete-engine.htm

First time I saw this engine available I was going to put it in the bike I got now, but I'd rather start with a blank canvas like maybe an older Proflex frame with full suspension or do something similar to the motoped...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Very nice Dave.... the forks and the Morini score..

I'd like to have one of thos engines to toy with myself but I better hold off for now, are those NOS..? just wondering since they have point type ignitions.

Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm thinking they're NOS myself since I've only been able to find them on Treatland and when I looked for that engine on other sites it seems to be non existant... I've just been particularly interested in this one because it has the CVT transmission built in so it should have a good combination of acceleration and speed... and let me get away with a more peaky powerband once geared right.
Now I need to look for the right frame to put it in...

survive1990

May 14, 2013
tucson
Just installed this walbro 813 kit from jnmotors runs great for twenty min then dies becuase i have no impulse line fuel drains from carb... but what a MAJOR improvement though!! Any ideas diagrams links pictures i need help thank you for your time

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Those type carbs are Very nice because you can fine tune them without taking them apart and it's that fine tunability that's why they run and perform so well. I've seen a few people who drilled and tapped a hole in their case near the transfers to install a niple and run a pulse line which makes these work even better. Somewhere I've heard the JNM wlabro type carbs have been modified so they don't need that pulse line but I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. I know on a lot of chainsaws and other small 2 smokers they sometimes have a spacer plate that channels the pulse line into the manifold to eliminate needing a separate line.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Nothing, except gonna ride it back and forth to work tonight. Might even take the long way home. Almost at that point where it's just general maintenance, gas in the tank, change the oil, air in the tires, keep the clutch lubed, that's about it. Ordering new heavier clutch shoes tomorrow and possibly mirrors as well, depending on how much my paycheck is.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Theon is a member here that has run carbs that use the impulse line, he posted about it a few weeks ago. He may be able to help you out.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I've found that these carbs will work without pulse line relying just on head pressure from the tank, but much better to have it though.
By putting a good dob of grease to catch swath on the inside of the transfer ramp the pulse pick up could be drilled with out splitting the cases.
But pulse pick up can be taken from inlet manifold also but would not be as strong.
Also may need a return fuel line from carb to tank?
These type carbs are generally probably better suited to WOT style riding, I have only yet played with the $15 barrel carb, and like it.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
In the depths of winter here. Thinking of joining a motorised canoe forum and changing my everyday vehicle! Maybe a massive wheeled motorised aqua trike like we used to see floating around in the 80's.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Today I received my JNM X-port and went to install it, but it would not fit on there stock. Pulled out the workstation attachment for the Dremel and used it to cut a couple mm off 4 of the wings and it was good to go. Trimmed the gaskets on the same setup then adjusted the support bar on the frame for the rear of the expansion chamber.

Didn't really change much but I did feel a little more torque on the acceleration. Should be good to go when i step down to the 36T sprocket as soon as it arrives next week :)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Today I received my JNM X-port and went to install it, but it would not fit on there stock. Pulled out the workstation attachment for the Dremel and used it to cut a couple mm off 4 of the wings and it was good to go. Trimmed the gaskets on the same setup then adjusted the support bar on the frame for the rear of the expansion chamber.

Didn't really change much but I did feel a little more torque on the acceleration. Should be good to go when i step down to the 36T sprocket as soon as it arrives next week :)

Everything feels right with the world when you can mod a mod!

survive1990

May 14, 2013
tucson
i have added a impulse channel to the transfer i can get it to run but it bogs at wide open trottle it seems even with the pulse line the carb gets robbed of fuel you sad i have to add a return fuel line to the tank?? how do i do that when both needles on the carb are in use?

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Coupla small things today. First, I made an adjustment to my battery box. I don't have a switch for my tail light, so it's set up as a quick disconnect with a nut and bolt through the lid of the battery box touching the positive terminal of the battery, and a wire with an alligator clip hooked to the bolt on top of the lid. But I sometimes use the alligator clip for other stuff, hence the quick disconnect. Anywho, the post wasn't touching down on the terminal, so I took the lid off and added a washer to the underside. Now it's working perfect. Prior to making that adjustment, my brother was following me on his motorcycle and he said my brake light isn't very bright, so I decided to do something about it. I was running a 12v 5w led bulb, but I went to walmart and got a 12v 27w incandescent. I know that's pretty high wattage, but since it's only on when I brake (tail light is separate), shouldn't be that big a deal as I do have a friction generator and scooter rectifier to charge the battery.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Arguably the worst possible start to the day. Pulled over by a cop who has seen me riding in the bike lane as I do, at about 35km/h. He reckons I was going too fast. He asks lots about my engine capacity (which I quote) and he still feels I'm going too fast and that it has to be more powerful than allowed. He's probably right but I've never put it over a dyno! A conversation follows about the legislation which I believe we are both a bit rusty on.
He then moves on to get all my details, address, licence etc and then takes a few photos of the bike.
Next comes the warning about how he is supposed to confiscate the bike and take it away for whatever testing might be done on it to prove it's illegal. Also the warning that if I am seen on it again, it will be a $1000 + fine and then of course confiscation of the bike.
So not only am I now in a position where I have no primary mode of transport, I am pretty much going to be deprived of this bloody awesome hobby that I've come to love.
At this stage I'm going over the options, but after a quick re-check of our new local rules, it seems they have a lot of room to move if they want to make life very difficult for me.
Sorry if it's a bit of a bummer to read, but I just wanted to share it with fellow lovers of the bikes.