what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Yes I did. A fun and interesting little science project. I wasn't really shooting for the "found at the bottom of the ocean" look but I think I'll keep it.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
This ain't no M/B but but it's what I built today outta noth'n but donor parts it started out as just a frame, it along with 4 others I've been working on the past week are going to a park ministry this Sat that I'm involved with where we give out some groceries, clothes and other donated articles ( like the bikes ) to those that have been hit hard by these economical times.

His Name is "Trasher" and he rolls good despite his looks LOL!

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This ain't no M/B but but it's what I built today outta noth'n but donor parts it started out as just a frame, it along with 4 others I've been working on the past week are going to a park ministry this Sat that I'm involved with where we give out some groceries, clothes and other donated articles ( like the bikes ) to those that have been hit hard by these economical times.

His Name is "Trasher" and he rolls good despite his looks LOL!
Hats off to ya bro, great bike for a great cause, God bless y'all for helping these people out...

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thanks! Map this pic was last Christmas Dec 22nd 2013 100 more bikes were brought to the park shortly after this pic was taken but there was over 1000 people by 5:00pm so my goal is to keep a few kids out of trouble this summer by giving them a bike for something to do when they are board and I even got a couple for adults who don't have a car and need to get to work.

Next project when funds come available is to build a trike for a buddy of mine who was run over by a car last year and can no longer drive because his feet were crushed we'll see.

But lets get back to the this tread I just wanted to post what I did to a non M/B today HE! HE! HE!.

Attachments

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks! Map this pic was last Christmas Dec 22nd 2013 100 more bikes were brought to the park shortly after this pic was taken but there was over 1000 people by 5:00pm so my goal is to keep a few kids out of trouble this summer by giving them a bike for something to do when they are board and I even got a couple for adults who don't have a car and need to get to work.

Next project when funds come available is to build a trike for a buddy of mine who was run over by a car last year and can no longer drive because his feet were crushed we'll see.

But lets get back to the this tread I just wanted to post what I did to a non M/B today HE! HE! HE!.
Excellent........ you're doing a great thing and you'll be blessed for it....

And to be more on topic, all I did to my bikes today is dream of what I want to do to my bikes... slept today because Im working tonight earning my bean money.....lol

Map
.wee.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
My motorized '73 Schwinn Continental is still all in parts - still painting her. Wish I had a spare MB, but other bikes are all purely leg-powered.

The paint job is going well. I'm down to doing the final clear coats. Don't know how many that will take, though. This is a "specialty" job I'm trying. My frame was totally bare metal, so I primed it with a black "rust restorer" paint. Looks like it will be a very good bare-metal primer. Forks were factory paint, so I just gray primered them. Then laid down the coats of gold for a base. Then clear just so I could sprinkle on some red glitter while the clear was still tacky. I know this sounds hideous, but it was just a very light, even amount to give a bit of a metal flake effect. It is looking awesome. Then the red Krylon X-Metals paint went on. Takes about 3 or 4 light coats to get the color nice and even. Then enough clear to get all the glitter flakes covered and enough to wet-sand flat and smooth.

Maybe another week. After the final clear coat, I like to "bake" it by having a space heater on it constantly for at least a few days.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Thank you both!

Yeah, a nice paint job can be a lot of work, but for me its part of a hobby we here all enjoy.

I did one crappy bike paint job when I was about 10 or 11, and learned that you might as well try to do it right. You're going to spend time and about the same amount on paint doing a half-azzed job - might as well not try to rush it.

If you google "krylon x-metals jalopyjournal", there are a couple of examples of how good the red finish can look. Some guy restored an old tricycle for his kid and the pictures of the results look very good. He used a silver base coat, mine is gold with added glitter, but it seems like he certainly knows what he's doing with a rattle can. The effect is hard to capture in pictures because of the way the metallic base coat sparkles underneath as light moves across it.

I'll try to provide good pics soon.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Today I rode my bike to the parts store, but I took the long way.

First I went to the park by my home (photo 1)

Then went a few miles to the Santa Cruz Park (photo 2) where I have to shut the motor off and pedal (photo 3)

From their it was a few miles to the parts store where I took the wash instead of the bike lane for a little dirt (photo 4)

And then finally the parts store and back home (photo 5)

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Today I rode my bike to the parts store, but I took the long way.

First I went to the park by my home (photo 1)

Then went a few miles to the Santa Cruz Park (photo 2) where I have to shut the motor off and pedal (photo 3)

From their it was a few miles to the parts store where I took the wash instead of the bike lane for a little dirt (photo 4)

And then finally the parts store and back home (photo 5)
Sounds like you had a great ride.... makes me want to skip work tonight and just hit the back roads......!

I like that banana pipe, does anyone still sell that particular pipe, the one I ordered from dax is really small, and not exactly what I was expecting it to be.

By the way I can tell it is modified on the flange end and that you have put a small type mower muffler on it but the main chamber is what I like for it size and larger shape.

Map

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Sounds like you had a great ride.... makes me want to skip work tonight and just hit the back roads......!

I like that banana pipe, does anyone still sell that particular pipe, the one I ordered from dax is really small, and not exactly what I was expecting it to be.

By the way I can tell it is modified on the flange end and that you have put a small type mower muffler on it but the main chamber is what I like for it size and larger shape.

Map
Not sure map its been a long time since I even looked for one I do know I had a hard time getting a hold of them a few years ago.

Playing with the header length really changes how the pipe performs with my experience. It took me a while but I got this one right where I wanted it with this motor.

The muffler was just added recently and I don't like it, it killed my pipe. But it does help a little with the noise factor and right now performance is not my main thing so its staying on for a little while.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not sure map its been a long time since I even looked for one I do know I had a hard time getting a hold of them a few years ago.

Playing with the header length really changes how the pipe performs with my experience. It took me a while but I got this one right where I wanted it with this motor.

The muffler was just added recently and I don't like it, it killed my pipe. But it does help a little with the noise factor and right now performance is not my main thing so its staying on for a little while.
I've had the same experience with the .mufflers, the added back pressure hurts performance on all the china girls I've run, a straight through pipe has always given me best mid range and best topspeed iride open road 99.9% of the time so any extra lowend power does me no good, I gear for the road and like to cruise at a good clip of 30+mph and one of my bikes cruises at 40+ mph, it has no chamber and that engine pulls good from low to 9000+ rpms but will sing along formiles and miles at around 8000 with a 36T rear and my 210lbs which is at least 215 adding my clothing.
I think I've seen that pipe on bikeberry if I remember right.

Thank
Map

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
I've only looked at my bike while breezing past in the shed as I've done one of a hundred small jobs. The only time I touched it was to take the high-output led headlight off.
Needed it to light up our kitchen and lounge as we still deal with a very lengthy power outage. But of a challenge as we've got a two year old boy and just today brought a newborn girl home.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations on your daughter Cruise!
I miss the days of watching my daughter grow up. It seems to happen soo fast.
I pray the best for all of you!
I am sorry to hear that you have no power. At least you have internet, I assume away from home though.
During our last power outage I figured out that our solar powered garden lights work great. Never worry about buying a bunch of batteries to keep them going.
I just pulled them out of the ground and propped them up in the house, shining on the ceiling for all over illumination. My daughter did her homework with one clipped to the drapes shining down on her desk.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Congrats on the blessing of the new baby girl, you've been intrusted with a precious soul to raise and teach.....
Best wishes for your entire family and now lets see, diapers or bike parts which will it be this month......lol!

Map
.wee.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Ha, thanks a lot guys. I have power back. It came on around midnight. Had to go round and turn off all the stuff we forgot to turn off!
I use my mobile phone for chatting with you folks so had some battery left.
All good now, and thanks for well wishes.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Finally finished wiring up the forward controls on my bike. New turn signal switch with high beam & horn button, had to be modified (was internally grounding, smoked fuses when plugged in) and attached to thumb choke lever. Now my handlebars are less cluttered, looks more professional than before.

Attachments

needtransportation

Mar 17, 2014
Knoxville
Boutght her some oil and took her on a ride to the gas station and then a couple laps around the subdivision, seems like the more I ride her the better she runs. As soon as I get some brakes for her so I can quit using my feet as brakes she is going to get alot of miles put on her. I dont know what mix the previous owner was using but 2.2 gallons of gasahol and 8 oz of walmart brand oil and she runs much nicer than before and was able to make it up the steepest hill in my neighborhood with me peddling like a madman wich she wouldnt do a couple days ago, I cant imagine how much better she will be when I go to a 56t sproket next week.

Last edited: