what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Howdy from Dallas. There were tornadoes in Dallas, sure, but I got by ok, nothing happening really on the outskirts and burbs but a LOOOOT of rain! A couple mini tornadoes came out to the towns east of Dallas, but apparently didn't do much damage except to a Sonic restaurant.

I wonder if I will ever get to go mtn biking this year. Glad for the rain though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BbSyGm6zWU Tornado throws 18 wheelers in Dallas yesterday (no joke)

Edit: looks like 100 houses got crushed 1hr east of Dallas

Last edited:

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Changed headbolts, head gasket, spark plug to NGK iridium, all courtesy of Sick Bike Parts.

Spark strength has definately improved, but it still seems weaker than it had been. I also had to adjust my idle screw most of the way in so she would idle, also leading me to believe the spark is still weaker than a week or two ago.

Started putting on my shift kit, but didn't get far cause I had to go to work. Once its on and adjusted, the x chamber goes on and gets tuned

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I spray painted my air filter cloth and hose clamp red. It looks better than the pink fleshy tone the ace wrap comes in. It doesn't seem to impede air flow any. The circle is the size of a soup can bottom. You can see daylight through the cloth, but it keeps dirt and bugs out.

It still worked fine, looks much better.

I rode to town to get some burritos. Someone pulled out in front of me from a stop sign, then had to speed up. ;-)

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

The paint didn't clot the filter cloth at all? (btw, what'd you use for filter cloth?)

Spaz, you'll kick yourself for not getting it done sooner, once you get it going... :p

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

It is Walmart ace-bandage (4"). I cut it into squares. I spray painted one with Walmart spray paint (very light sprays). No, it didn't clot it. I've been using ace wrap for more than a month, works great.

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=531&pictureid=3859[/IMG

[quote="killercanuck, post: 378664"]The paint didn't clot the filter cloth at all? (btw, what'd you use for filter cloth?)

Spaz, you'll kick yourself for not getting it done sooner, once you get it going... :p[/QUOTE]

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

So far, so good: I've brazed the acorn nuts to the inside surface of the top of the tank. I've also brazed the brass filler neck into place. I've been forming the metal as I go. I've drilled the bottom for the fuel-line fitting, it'll be brazed in next.

Then I just close the front to the top, braze on the sides, and start leak testing. I can't wait! It's so cool that I can make tanks now! Learning to braze/"weld" with Alumaweld has me feeling a lot more confident about pursuing real welding. And if I learn true welding, heck, I could make about anything. Feeling very pumped tonight.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

My new Roadmaster/Cleveland steel frame arrived, so I trial-fitted a 6 hp Robin engine to it.

Robin fits well without the aftermarket motor mount, should be okay with it on.

I'm following Glennbo's 212/Roadmaster build. I ordered the same antenna mounts for the jackshaft, also 8t/9t/10t/12t sprockets. Rear sprocket will be 54t.

Unsure if I'll run 7.2:1 gears only, or Torq-Verter w/8.1 sprockets.

Also removed the engine governor and disconnected the low-oil sensor.

Awaiting more parts.:-||

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

I finally replaced the SS bicycle chains on my Stiletto Bobber with KMC H410 BMX chains. I have a primary drive chain from the engine to the jackshaft, and a main drive chain from the right side of the jackshaft to the wheel. The new chains fit the sprockets much better due to the larger rollers, and there is less movement in the chain while I'm riding. I can't imagine these KMC .shft.chains will ever wear out on an MB, unlike my kit 415 chains that started cracking from continued use. brnot

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

Hey 5-7, where do you get the motor mounts? I've been making my own from strap hinges or using Kuryakyn clamps which are pricey. How do torque-verters work? Do they change the ratio? I've thought about using a variable pulley but they seem to self-adjust at very low RPMs, around 1400. I'd like to find a manual pulley that can be controlled with a cable. Do you know of any? I had one on an old Allis Chalmers garden trator but it was heavy cast iron. An aluminum unit would work at our HP levels..cptr.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania

took my pocketbike xchamber to a machine shop and had it welded together today. I previosly had it put together with fiberglass and painted with hi-temp paint, but the fiberglass still failed. they mig welded it, and it cost me $30. well worth it in my opinion.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

The KMC chains will eventually wear, because they are bushingless designs, with stamped ridges that the rollers ride on. The plates are strong, though. But keep a 12" steel ruler and check your chain wear by measuring at the pins from 0 to 12" , with chain under tension.

I finally replaced the SS bicycle chains on my Stiletto Bobber with KMC H410 BMX chains. I have a primary drive chain from the engine to the jackshaft, and a main drive chain from the right side of the jackshaft to the wheel. The new chains fit the sprockets much better due to the larger rollers, and there is less movement in the chain while I'm riding. I can't imagine these KMC .shft.chains will ever wear out on an MB, unlike my kit 415 chains that started cracking from continued use. brnot

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Hey 5-7, where do you get the motor mounts? I've been making my own from strap hinges or using Kuryakyn clamps which are pricey. How do torque-verters work? Do they change the ratio? I've thought about using a variable pulley but they seem to self-adjust at very low RPMs, around 1400. I'd like to find a manual pulley that can be controlled with a cable. Do you know of any? I had one on an old Allis Chalmers garden trator but it was heavy cast iron. An aluminum unit would work at our HP levels..cptr.
I have a couple of 4-stroke motor mounting plates around. Either that or a simple 1/8" steel plate welded to the bike frame. Top mount prolly steel or aluminum plate and muffler clamp onto the down tube. I haven't mounted the Robin yet.

The Torq-Verter I have changes ratios from .9:1 to 2.7:1. Methinks you need an initial gear ratio of 8:1. Then your bike should launch HARD @ 21.6:1 and cruise @ 7.2:1. However, it is VERY difficult to make 8:1 on a single jackshaft. On my setup, I would need a custom-made 64t rear sprocket to fit my Motobecane rear drum. The lowest gearing I can muster now is a 52t rear sprocket and an 8-tooth jackshaft gear, which equals to 6.75:1. That means I would need a SECOND jackshaft with 12t/10t sprockets. So, 6.75 x 1.2 = 8.1:1 gearing.

That's with the Torq-Verter.

Sorry, I know nothing about manual pulleys.

The frame of the Torq-V is basically a jackshaft plate. I can remove the pulleys and belt, and install a MaxiTorque clutch w/10t sprocket. The Torq-V's shaft will hold a 12t sprocket on the outboard side. An 8t sprocket will mount inboard on the Torq-V's lengthened jackshaft. This 8t then chains up to the 54t rear wheel sprocket, resulting in 8.1:1 gearing.

That's strictly gearing, no Torq-Verter.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got some more #41 chain in, along with a 14t #41 sprocket for the engine side jackshaft. bolted up the SBP jack shaft plate, and chain tensioner. tightened it up and ran it. she ran wonderfully! shook a bit but i was able to easily just floor it and it locked up and took off. will need to adjust the clutch some more (and get a picture of the area i drilled to lighten the shoes)

just need to shorten the engine chain, and figure out about a charging circuit for a 12v battery for the electronics; wideband o2 sensor, brake lights, and turn signal lights.

once i get the charger working i'll try to do a write up on all the electronics i'm putting on.

i figured i could get a much more accurate tune if i use a wideband o2 sensor rather than reading the plug.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

My new Roadmaster/Cleveland steel frame arrived, so I trial-fitted a 6 hp Robin engine to it.

Robin fits well without the aftermarket motor mount, should be okay with it on.

I'm following Glennbo's 212/Roadmaster build. I ordered the same antenna mounts for the jackshaft, also 8t/9t/10t/12t sprockets. Rear sprocket will be 54t.

Unsure if I'll run 7.2:1 gears only, or Torq-Verter w/8.1 sprockets.

Also removed the engine governor and disconnected the low-oil sensor.

Awaiting more parts.:-||
cvt with your 54 tooth gives you a low of around 14-1 and a high of 5-1
over 50mph at 3600 rpm

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Yes, I know.

However, methinks my bike will not like cruising @ 5:1, especially when approaching a hill.

54t/8t = 6.75:1

6.75 x 2.7 = 18.225:1

6.75 x .9 = 6.075:1
53mph @ 5,000rpm(no governor)

Robin will like taking off @ 18.225:1

Robin will not enjoy climbing hills @ 6.075:1.

Purely conjecture.

What I'll do is try out the TAV jackshaft plate with 12t/10t sprockets, along with 54t/9t sprockets. That's 7.2:1 gears. Then I can experiment with the TAV-2 with 54t/8t gears. If Robin doesn't like the 6.075:1 high gear, then a second jackshaft needs to be fabbed to lower gearing, close to 7.2:1.

(12t/10t) x (54t/8t) x .9 = 7.29 to 1 gear.

44mph @ 5,000rpm.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon

I fired up my second build today using the 66cc motor on a 3g Isla Vista. She went chug chug chug varooooommmmm....

Pirate Adapter/Sprocket/Chain upgrade. Manic's moutor mounts. That baby frigging sruises. I stripped out the kill switch throttle housing somehow so the throttle goes past the "0" point forward and kicks the cable out of the housing. I ordered a new kill switch to correct.

But I stil lam breaking it in I just need to be a bit careful not to push thrpottle past that point. I have the needle valve set to 2nd to lowest setting to start but opened her up and put on third from bottom. Checked everything for tightness.

Also, bought a wireless turn signals ( bicygnals) and set all that up but ended up removing them. They are not working right for me for some reason. They worked fine without the bike started but after rolling around with engine on the back turn indicators didnt work. I tried it a few times but I think that they vibrate too much and that screws up the "synchronicity" between units and/ or some how the 2.4 ghz signal gets jammed. Oh well :(

I will try the cheap chinese ones next.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Fugit, does your cable or throttle system have a barrel adjuster to lengthen the housing overall length? (should be one on the carb if it's an NT, and one near the throttle twister. That might help to keep the cable end from springing out.