what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Installed the new rear rim, hub adapter with 36 tooth sprocket, Continental City Ride tire w/reflective ring, and new chrome 415 chain. In going from the 420 chain, I had to 'improvise' the engine output sprocket -- the 'teeth' were too long to allow the bigger, fatter chain to properly circle the sprocket. A little grinding seemed to solve the issue.

Has anyone seen my bucking bar??!! Can't find it for the life of me......guess I'll cut an old drill bit. About 3/8" protuding is the correct length (I think I remember that from an old thread....). To be continued another day.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I have had three bikes come to me they run great for about 2 minutes then die like they were out of gas take the cap off no theres gas start it up goes right away then dies come to find out they added a gasket to the cap cause it was "loose" what they did was seal the tank completely so as gas is used it makes a vacuum in the tank then no gas would go down the line so now this guy brings it back saying when he puts the bike in his CAR TRUNK it leaks gas LOL and now it has gas flowing out the carb. Well that's fine and dandy so I pull the float bowl off the carb and its full of water he leaves his gas can outside and when it rained the other day it got water in the gas can now he sais I f&%ked his bike up go figure I must have gone to his home put water in his gas can so he would bring it back to me to fix so I guess that I have to figure out how I know where this guy lives where he puts his gas can at and rig his bike to run bad !!!!!!!!!!!! got to love the thinking of some people. I love the work and the money but DAMN that's funny as ****!!! any other horror stories like this??? lets start a thread for the stories of the crazy peoples bikes we fix

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I have had three bikes come to me they run great for about 2 minutes then die like they were out of gas take the cap off no theres gas start it up goes right away then dies come to find out they added a gasket to the cap cause it was "loose" what they did was seal the tank completely so as gas is used it makes a vacuum in the tank then no gas would go down the line so now this guy brings it back saying when he puts the bike in his CAR TRUNK it leaks gas LOL and now it has gas flowing out the carb. Well that's fine and dandy so I pull the float bowl off the carb and its full of water he leaves his gas can outside and when it rained the other day it got water in the gas can now he sais I f&%ked his bike up go figure I must have gone to his home put water in his gas can so he would bring it back to me to fix so I guess that I have to figure out how I know where this guy lives where he puts his gas can at and rig his bike to run bad !!!!!!!!!!!! got to love the thinking of some people. I love the work and the money but DAMN that's funny as ****!!! any other horror stories like this??? lets start a thread for the stories of the crazy peoples bikes we fix
Tell him to switch to electric, its pretty hard to mix water with the fuel for those

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
sure ill jump right on it LOL but you really cant mix water with electric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol no disrespect meant to any one using electric motors MORE POWER TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrome

Jan 10, 2010
manila, philippines
I rode my bike around my busy neighborhood and stopped by a store to have a soda...there were 2 guys drinking beer at 10 am and one of them approached me and was amazed at my "contraption". See motorized bikes are spread far and wide in the philippines that it's rare to come across one on the road. Hence his amazement. Anyway, it made me proud to still own this as I ride it like once a month and almost sold it. Bottom line, these motors are "somewhat" well made that they start right up even unused for long periods. Ride safe everyone!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
".......the bike in his CAR TRUNK it leaks gas LOL and now it has gas flowing out the carb. Well that's fine and dandy so I pull the float bowl off the carb and its full of water he leaves his gas can outside and when it rained the other day it got water in the gas can now he sais I f&%ked his bike up go figure I must have gone to his home put water in........" --DRBS

From time to time I've pondered building and selling these bikes. I'll probably give it a shot one day. But one of the things that's held me back is stuff like this. I wonder if it's worth while to have people coming back and claiming that I sold them garbage when the real trouble is 'operator stupidity'. I'd have to make a pretty darned good profit on the bike to put up with that.

I've been building and riding these bikes since the spring of 2008. During that time I"ve seen quite a few other motored bikes. Mostly china girls. What I haven't seen is any of these guys sticking around. I'll see some guy once, and sometimes twice, and then he'll disappear.

I guess these folks just don't have the moxie to do what it takes to keep these in good working order.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
my first bike is still running I see it all the time he brought it back to me last week to get the old gas out and to clean the carb and new plug I got it in 09 and I rode the **** out of it I must have put 500 or more miles on it yes there are a few that have lasted a long time but occasionally you get a bad apple so do you when the car is new there are problems that come up a motor is a motor is a motor they break sometimes and there are defects that are normal in any highly mechanically made a robot can see defects it judt does what the program says

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
saying when he puts the bike in his CAR TRUNK it leaks gas LOL
The original Honda Z50A had a gas cap with a manual vent. The owner's manual showed closing it, and putting the bike on it's side in a car trunk.

Of course in 1969 you could put a twin bed in a car trunk...

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
LOL or a few dead bodies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got to love the old school im 51 and I remember my solex it was basically a bike with a motor you dropped on the front tire and away you go it was built in Germany and was very slow maybe 27 at the most but fun as **** it had a 20:1 mix on it that thing went through tires like no tomorrow it was a friction drive

Last edited:

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I gotta better idea : Don't stuff the poor bike in the trunk......

Sorry for the sarcasm but gees you here the strangest things on this sight....
At some point you have to wish that the good lord handed out just a bit more common sense .
I just got out of bed and haven't done a darn thing to by bike today..........

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I gotta better idea : Don't stuff the poor bike in the trunk......

Sorry for the sarcasm but gees you here the strangest things on this sight....
At some point you have to wish that the good lord handed out just a bit more common sense .
I just got out of bed and haven't done a darn thing to by bike today..........
So, for whatever reason someone transports his bike in the trunk of a car. Perhaps he does not have a truck.

I offered a solution to the problem - so what are you saying here?

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
I love the old bikes with the "gas tank" look im thinking about making a Schwinn midway into a real tank bike shouldn't be too hard I use to fabricate body panels on cars and trucks so making a tank shouldn't be too hard I have the tools and a mig welder I saw guy selling the neck and caps in e-bay think they were like 10.00

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
From time to time I've pondered building and selling these bikes. I'll probably give it a shot one day. But one of the things that's held me back is stuff like this. I wonder if it's worth while to have people coming back and claiming that I sold them garbage when the real trouble is 'operator stupidity'. I'd have to make a pretty darned good profit on the bike to put up with that.

I've been building and riding these bikes since the spring of 2008. During that time I"ve seen quite a few other motored bikes. Mostly china girls. What I haven't seen is any of these guys sticking around. I'll see some guy once, and sometimes twice, and then he'll disappear.

I guess these folks just don't have the moxie to do what it takes to keep these in good working order.
Yep I feel the same way, plus m6 biggest problem is I live several miles out of town, so helping people with repairs would really be a pain for both of us and cost me a fortune in gas running back and forth to town.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
its really not that bad I get the motors and the bikes delivered the parts are easy to get and the ppl beat your door down to get a bike I always tell them that these bikes are not going to be super fast at first drive them normally for a tank then you can go crazy after that but I only will fix it if its a problem with the parts not the owners misuse for 30 days after that I charge extra they usually don't come back but to have better parts put on or I get ppl that have one and they need it fixed so its not too bad just have to be truthful to them from the get go. so don't be afraid to try selling its not that hard if you have been building them for awhile

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
small town Texas is a whole nother world for selling things like this, I know I could sell a couple bikes probably, and I will in the future, but this is a small town area 20,000 population and loads of people here ride motorcycles.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Got a few things done today... First off I got my customer's bike done and started for the first time, like usual, the first start on a new engine took some effort but afterwards it was starting easier and easier, I just did a few heat cycles on the engine by starting the engine and reving it to keep it frfom sitting at one rpm, did this for about 15 minutes and shut it down once it reached about 300 degrees at the head. second start I did the same thing but rode it around in my parking lot until the engine got nice and hot then let it cool down. Tomorrow I'll check everything out and re tighten anything that may have worked loose as well as readjust the chain but otherwise this one's just about ready to give back.

Went to work mine some and ported out another new jug close to the same as the old one but with much wider exhaust port and intake port, I also knife edged both sides of the transfers on this one as well as opening up the transfer tunnels a lot wider. I still need to split the cases and match the transfers to the jug since originally I never bothered to do this... this engine was supposed to be a temporary fix until I could get my other engine done up right and the crank trued and balanced, but the Dax engine proved to be superior and the old engine is just for mock up builds now.
Once the porting was done I put the jug on the engine that's still in the frame and started to take measurements when I noticed something not so right about my frame's lower tube... Took the engine all the way out to investigate and saw the frame had a nice sized crack under the mount so with this bike having such a tight frame it makes it hard as **** to work on I decided to cut out the damage to weld in some fresh metal when I got the idea just to cut the bottom tube all the way out and put in a new tube that's smaller diameter but with thicker wall thickness... the original frame tubing was a LOT thinner than I thought... like 16 gauge exhaust tubing... Anyway, I got a new tube bent and ready to notch then I'll have to run and refill my argon bottle tomorrow and I'll weld in the new bottom tube along with some serious gusset work to make sure this frame is up to the task of going 40+ on a daily basis.

For my other build... I didn't get my OCC stingray frame this weekend so I couldn't do much there except clean up the wheels and re grease the bearings etc... I may also re lace the rear wheel with thicker spokes even tho I'm planning on using a Manic type rear hub adapter instead of the rag joint, those 14 gauge spokes just look really thin on that big fat wheel..