what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Short hop to the hardware store yesterday to get a couple more SS nuts for the mab.
Motor is still running OK, real fat, but ok, and reliable...
Some grungy noise/feeling from the back wheel/chain. Probably safest if I take it apart for a good inspection before I run it again. I'd really prefer not to go sliding across the pavement!
Best for the New Year to everyone!
rc

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

Still working on getting my exhaust to bend correctly. It would be fine if I could mount the seat part of the engine flat but I can't because the single speed derailer clamp thing is in the way. Not the clamp but the part that holds the shifter cable part.

Slowly but surely.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

For a jack-shaft keyway where the collars I use to keep the shaft bearings (think called pillow bearings) in place, I found the collars do not use a key for the keyway, they just have the threads of the set-screw go into the keyway and does not do it any good as far as keeping the jack-shaft key-way in good shape.

Maybe someone says to just put the set-screw on the round surface of the jack-shaft, but I wanted to make sure it holds even though it is only for sideways stress on the jack-shaft. Later when it is all working good, I would use blue thread lock and prep before with activator to help it really hold. Stainless steel is not used here, but it can be used to prep the more active metals like these alloy parts too.

Anyway I really did not want to ruin the keyway slot along the length for future removal of pulleys and gears on this new jack-shaft. I made the end of the threads with a long enough set screw for each collar ground down small. This allowed the rounded, sort of large center punch tip to the set screws that they fit in the keyway and do not mash up it up.

I misplaced a jack-shaft that I was going to use, but for $32 got another kit, but was well aware I did not want to have to sand down and keep cleaning the keyway as adjustments become necessary.

For the job, see the vice holds a wing-nut that I screw the set screw into. The end of the set screw I want to grind with a Dremel cutoff wheel, I leave sticking out. The other end of it with the hex allen-wrench drive is facing down protected.

Note that I put a section of keyway material, but could be any metal underneath where the hex allen-wrench drive is to stop it from spinning and coming through when the grinder wheel is trying to spin it.

Be careful that you only use the grinder wheel in the direction that will try to make the set screw go down into to wing-nut clamped in the vise, otherwise it will not grind but shoot out the top fling far away for you to look for!!!

Check the grinder wheel direction and the thread direction of the set screw to be modified in the wing-nut clamped in the vise!!!

Note the picture with the wing nut is before I tightened down the vise jaws on the wing-nut wings.

There is also a picture of a crummy drill an tap of a collar I bought, see it is not drilled perfect and would really mash the keyway whether I did the mod on the set-screw or not. I know now if not a prepackage item to look first before buying when in the store. Lesson be learned.

Measure Twice

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I've been working on my tight engine drive chain. There are no 8mm half-links, so adjustments have to be made with an extra link. For some reason, I can't adjust the drive assembly to take up the slack. The skateboard chain tensioner isn't taking up all the slack. so I installed an ADDITIONAL tensioner on the opposite side of the chain. The skateboard wheel is adjustable and pushes the chain inward. The second tensioner is stationary and pushes the other side of the chain outward.

I also made a simple camera mount for my MB. I don't like how most cameras' videos are shot from the handlebar. There is too much swiveling back and forth. I bolted a simple 2" angle bracket onto the side of the bike frame. There will be less "yaw" or "fishtailing" in the videos I shoot. This way, the camera views where the frame's head, not the handlebar is pointing.

The rear tire is flat. Unsure how it happened. Must've picked up a nail. I'll fix it tomorrow.:-||

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Yah!

Post more pics, 57!!!

(Ur mab is SO technical I have trouble envisioning all the things u r doing with it, without pics... I'll watch for your vids!)

Best for New Year
rc

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Yah!

Post more pics, 57!!!

(Ur mab is SO technical I have trouble envisioning all the things u r doing with it, without pics... I'll watch for your vids!)

Best for New Year
rc
I'll post pictures soon.

I'm excited to shoot videos of my commute to work.xct2

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

That is a sweet expansion chamber. What is it off of?
betta late than never..
The pipe is off a LEM 50cc suzuki dirtbike cant remember the exact yr model.
Almost went with a pipe off a kx65 but the fella recommended this pipe due to the china donk not revving out as hard as the kx65 making the powerband up almost out of its range. This LEM 50 pipe works really well the exhaust note distinctively changes when the band is kicking in love it.

Well today Ive managed to redo the header pipe and im very happy with it. Mind you it took me 4hrs for roughly 4" of pipe but are well.
Managed to match the header to the exhaust port and keep a nice flowy bend.
Expanded the incoming header pipe then expanded the exhaust to slide the header pipe in then used a ball point hammer to lightly marry it all up ready for a weld. Got the best result I could think of doing leaving minimal catch points for the exhaust flow. Just waiting on the exhaust wrap to come in. Ive noticed the bike will what seems 4 stoke a little until the pipe is hot then its gr8.

I have attached a pic of my plug after going for a 1/4 throttle run lightly loaded.
The bike sounds like it just doesnt want to run there (VM18 mikuni) just abit more throttle to half from say 10m/hr and it starts to sound right and will accelerate almost up to top speed with maybe 3 little 4stroke blips which doesnt really seem to hinder the accleration.

Funny thing was though after doing the 1/4 throttle run I was expecting to see an oily plug only to find it a nice clean tan colour.

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Don't wrap the exhaust wrap all the way to the flange. The wrap does too good of a job holding heat in the metal. Street rodders are finding their header pipes cracking at the flange from the heat. If the wrap starts like 6-8 inches from the flange then there's no problems. Yes, wrapping to the flange makes HP in race cars but when you'r a racer headers are considered a disposible part, like in NASCAR or NHRA.

Most of us regular people can't afford this :)

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Thanx for your input bud. I will start the heat wrap an inch or so after the new header pipe. The metal and what not is free for me due to my trade but nonetheless its not worth having to do it all over again. Thanx bud.
Just got back from another ride never noticed how loud that ringing of the fins gets until today as I was listening closely to motor. Mostly evident when crusing along at say
55km/hr at 1/4throttle.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

*sigh* Didn't do anything with the bike. Just too cold. Ice in patches on pavement. Windchill is wicked. Too frigid to do work in shed, even if I could think of a part to fab. Nothin'. Didn't do nothin'.

Now entering that time of year where you guys in SoCal come in handy. I can sit here and read about what you're doing, even when my bike is hibernating in my shed.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got my bottle of opti-2 in! can't wait to make a new batch of fuel with this

100:1 baby!

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida

Took off my fork and shipped it off to Norm at VMB. It's getting powder coated to match my new (to me) Felt frame. Gonna have to ride a hard nose for a month or so...

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York

nothing. looked at it a little and was picturing an expansion chamber on it. id love to get an sbp pipe for it, billet intake and a speed carb with a filter.

i have to order a hardware kit from sbp this week cause my exhaust stud stripped.

i plan to put these aftermarket parts on when nicer weather comes back. saving up to get a new little truck

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

*sigh* Didn't do anything with the bike. Just too cold. Ice in patches on pavement. Windchill is wicked. Too frigid to do work in shed, even if I could think of a part to fab. Nothin'. Didn't do nothin'.

Now entering that time of year where you guys in SoCal come in handy. I can sit here and read about what you're doing, even when my bike is hibernating in my shed.
================================

Measure Twice here in Northern CA, but was there in Southern California about a month ago and it was quite cold when the sun went down.

I know when 55-60F and in the sun without too much clouds, I even try to work under tree shade also wear sun block.

After sun set and down below 50 and no sun and I am done working. I was outside still and I probably should have dressed warmer.

I used to live in New York so I know this is really more a temperate climate, and I got out for a few hours setting up the motor bike jackshaft and clutch having both chain and v-belt (Link-Belt).

Will like to try it out not riding, but mount the bike in some way to observe the workings under power with no or very little load. Then I have the guards for chain and carb protection and get riding. I was real careful to get the bearings on jackshaft to be seating perfect and the chain 90 degrees (Right Angle) to jackshaft.

My home brew washing machine pulley rear wheel spoke wood covered epoxy sandwich is shown and only may need to take out 1 link of the v-belt (Link-Belt) to get a bit tighter. I am leaving it as is over night as they do stretch like regular v-belts but notably more when first time put into use. It then will be easier to get it right tomorrow when settled stretch for a while.

My design for tightening the belt is that I add or remove belt links and don’t mess with the rear fork drop outs. I want it as far back on the slots for better security. I do have the ability to move the jackshaft forward and aft, but that also requires loosening the engine mounting bolts as well because the chain from engine/clutch goes to the jackshaft as well.

I am thinking maybe not with the new knobbies, but some other tires I could see about the pop-rivet way of adding traction on snow and ice or bike tires. I saw that Killercanuck mentioned of someone doing this posted from an external site:
Pop Rivet Ice Tires for Your Road Bike

and I think I should go up to Tahoe!

I don’t know if they keep any of the OHV parks open up there in the winter.

If only snow mobiles, then I could make an adapter with front ski, maybe add a third wheel in tandem with a snow mobile like tread between them.

I took an overhead picture of the trueness of the chain and didn’t notice till now in a pc big screen what error there was. I sited from along the length front to back, but overhead shows the pulley or jackshaft or both need to go further out to match the clutch. There is enogh extra legnth on the opposite side bearing to move in an inch.

I also may resort to flipping around the clutch the other way (chain between crankcase cover and clutch bell house). It was once there was not enough room before to do that, but I can do that now and will have the gears closer to the frame which I think would be better.

Tomorrow I’ll fix the chain!

T-square in one of the pics to see the jackshaft right angle to engine crankcase cover on the side.

I'll be looking for a parallel rulers as I was thinking of when doing the chain with them and didn't bother, but a picture tells the story quite out of true.

Measure Twice

Attachments

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

did the no no due to having too much time on my hands and went the whole way back to the header.. exhaust wrap is on.

Off the bat it is running different. I think it may be too lean in the mid range so I'll play with that tomorrow.

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

The engine drive chain was so tight that I installed an extra link and two chain tensioners. However, the chain jammed on the test ride and I'm lucky it did not snap.

For some strange reason, I am no longer able to adjust chain tension on the engine drive. After staring at the chain drive for a long time, I realized I would need to reconfigure the lead motor mount pivot. That SHOULD give me a fraction of an inch I need to adjust chain tension. So yesterday I took the day off and bought 1/4" aluminum bar stock. That should be wide and strong enough to handle the engine.

The new motor mount should be done by tonight. That'll fix the problem, I'm sure.:-||

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

found out i need to mill .0535" off the cylinder to get the proper piston clearance.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

Geared up and took the bike out for a quick ride. It was cold down here in Georgia but it was good to go for a quick ride!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I made a new front motor mount from 1/4" aluminum. Now the chain can be adjusted. All it takes is 1/4-3/8" adjustment. Just finished @ 2am.

Can't wait for daylight to commute to work!xct2