Wanted: Behind seat gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

Fizzbane

Apr 4, 2010
Canada
I am wanting a behind the seat gas tank similar to image 1.

The dimensions I am looking at are 4.5" diameter and 10" length. Which should hold roughly 0.688 gal of gas which is 2.60L (im in Canada so I use liters). That is slightly larger than kit tank volume. I am wanting something with roughly the same volume as a kit tank but rear behind the seat. Cylinder look is nice. I dont care what the materials are as long as it is reasonably priced and will hold up.

The bike it would go on is pic 2. Other pics are back of the seat on the desired bike. (the rack can move in or out)

If anyone one could build and/or sell me something that will work I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks.

--Fizzbane

Attachments

Fizzbane

Apr 4, 2010
Canada
I still want to use the top of my rack. that is why a small cylinder on the back would work best. it takes up a small amount of space but leaves it mostly free. If it is the under the rack one, i dont believe there is enough room and I cannot manufacture a sturdy mount to raise it. If i could, i'd probably have enough skill to make a tank myself. I appreciate it corgi1, but i have looked. Would save me time, effort and money tho. you are talking about the dax one right?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I can make you one like this. It holds 46 Fl Oz, which is 1.36L or 1 qt. 14 Fl Oz. It measures 7 1/4" x 4 1/4" with the harness leather. Stainless steel straps hold it on to the rear rack. PM me if you're interested. I only have it in black, but eventually will have it in brown as well.
Silverbear

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
price? for me and him too laff
This is what the larger tank looks like. I think the 46 0z tank looks better. PM me for a current price. I still have some harness leather from when I made horse tack for Indian ponies I raised years back. Now my ponies have wheels. Ha! When I have to buy more leather the price will go up I'm afraid. It will take about a week before I can send a tank out as I have sinew and saddle needles on order which should be here in a few days.
SB

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I don't know Sb ,I like that gallon tank,would be good for a long commute and some backup,,,,might throw some tuna can filter pads for anti splash baffels

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been asked a couple questions in a PM which I"ll answer here where I can post photos. The brass gas cap is not vented. I got tired of the kit tanks leaking at the caps and it is one reason I am making these. They don't leak. However you have to have a vent of some kind or the gas will not flow to the carb. I have a vent line running out the top of the tank which terminates under the seat. The stainless clamps are just large sized hose clamps. The small line you see running from a little fitting at the top and also at the bottom is an experimental sight gauge. Seems to work OK. You can order a tank with or without it.
SB

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I didn't know ya sold em SB! Need at least one for prototype and wanna talk production numbers with ya some time. Will PM you. Very cool. Was going to write you and ask advise on leather working to do just that.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
And if I may throw in a hearty recommendation for a Silver Bear gas tank. I have one sitting in front of me at this very moment and the fit and finish is perfect.
The stitching is excellent and I'm sure that anyone who buys one will be more that thrilled with it.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you Steve.
I've gotten a couple of inquiries about the larger size tank and I may be jumping the gun offering it right now. The one pictured on the American I found in a grocery store in Maryland. but now that I'm living in the boonies near Bugbite, Minnesota things are a little harder to find. Let me find that size can and then I will offer the big tank for sale. I'll post a little update here when I do. Until then it is just the 46 ouncers. Thanks for the interest in these. I'm starting on a couple of them today. Looks like I'll be drinking a good bit of tomato juice. Ha!
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My morning gig is driving from an industrial kitchen and could send you a container full of the huge cans almost every day SB. I think they are 1 gal. Prolly cost more to ship 2U then they are worth but if you want any, just holla Buddy.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks, Dan. The problem is that I leave the lids on the cans. I use a small leather punch to make the initial holes where the vent line and opposing gas line go in order to slowly remove the contents into a container. That's the reason for using a juice can or something with fluid in it. I make sure that anything I'm fabricating is using a can which I will use the contents from... juice cans, and smaller ones for funnels and headlights, tail lights, fender lights, leaping tuna air cleaners. I am a connoisseur of fine cans and look them over closely before purchasing... not all cans meet my very high artistic standards you know...no dented ones, please!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I didn't know ya sold em SB! Need at least one for prototype and wanna talk production numbers with ya some time. Will PM you. Very cool. Was going to write you and ask advise on leather working to do just that.
Well, it started out a couple people liked the tanks and wanted one, so I sold them and then made a half dozen or so to sell this summer which got burned in the fire. Now I'm back home in Minnesota and pulling myself back up. Will have a couple builds this summer along with a pusher sidecar project, things for myself really, maybe a couple of bikes to sell. I'll also be making gas tanks if people here want them and later will sell matching head lights and tail lights in harness leather (like in the pictures of the American) and some awesome elk hide hand grips which are very comfy. Looks like I'll be making gas tanks this week. I used to do a lot of leather work making moccasins, mukluks and bags of one kind or another. I like making things. Yeah, let me know what you have in mind.
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Sent You another PM Ill take a smaller one. Also there were some guys looking for saddlebags and tool rolls a while ago.
Cheers
Chainmaker

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's funny. I'm wondering what an overdose of tomato juice will do. Already finished off one can, working on the second one. If a little glass of that is good for you then two cans with a third waiting should be real real healthy, right? Not bad with tobasco sauce in it. The things I do.
SB.