NuVinci hub and staton drive

GoldenMotor.com

downunder

Sep 13, 2008
I have been setting up a rans stratus long wheel base with a staton drive setup using a honda 35cc.
I am still in the experimental stage and working out what works best, ratios, tweaking mounting etc but I must say early indications are that it'll work very well.
I have had a few problems, one being that the 22t freewheel sprocket on the reduction drive box spun apart. David Staton now spot welds those but mine wasn't done, obviously I bought before they discovered that was a problem.
At that point I was using the 22t to a 36t on the nuvinci hub.
I am now about to change it out to 18t and a 27t on the hub, it's a very similar ratio and a better freewheel sprocket.
My concern is that the way the sprockets are fitted onto the nuvinci. I think the threaded section that fits onto the splined hub is a nuvinci part, David has just added the larger sprocket for the powered drive but the whole assembly isn't firm and tight on the splines as it is only held on by a cir-clip.
I always feel where there is movement there will be wear so I am not sure how that part will go in the long term.
Otherwise all is looking good. I just need to get some miles up to prove it all but early indications are a very sweet smooth drive.

Comments and your experiences appreciated.

Cheers
Dennis
Downunder

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
Hi Downunder,
I had a similar experience with my set up. I'm running a honda gxh50 with the Nuvinci hub and also broke the freewheel sprocket on the gear box after 130 miles. Mine was an 18 tooth and I replaced it with the 22. The 18 tooth sprocket was not spot welded, but the new 22 tooth sprocket is and was told that the 18 and 20 tooth sprockets did not have the spot welds. Anyway, David Staton told me that the freewheel broke due to being overtorqued....most likely due to giving it too much throttle while in the lower range. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the 35cc rather than the 50 if I was using the Nuvinci hub. So far, the 22 tooth is performing okay, but I'm really taking it easy with it and trying to keep my sons off the bike lol. We'll see how it works out ;) Good luck

downunder

Sep 13, 2008
Hi Tylden,
Hmm, that is a bit of a worry as I thought the problem was with the 22t and thought the 18 might be better. Interesting that you were told it was over torqued as I don't think that was the cause of mine coming apart. It appears to have just un-done the 2 halves.
Did the 18t come apart in two halves or just rip it's insides apart ?
I guess my 22t would have covered a similar distance before failing.
Cheers
Downunder

downunder

Sep 13, 2008
Yes, Aussie, actually West Aussie.

Just waiting on David Staton to send a couple of sprockets but he has had problems with loss of power from the cyclone that hit the southern areas.
Once I have it back together again I will put some photos up.

Cheers
Downunder

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
Hey Downunder,
When the 18 tooth sprocket failed, the two halves stayed together but the insides were ripped apart. I have about 150 miles on the 22 tooth now without any problems....only time will tell though. I have been taking it easy on this set up now, making sure I don't accelerate too quickly especially when taking off from a stop. Oh yeah, the kids haven't been riding it this time either lol....that's when the problem with the 18 tooth became apparent.

JamesBlond

Aug 12, 2009
I travel.