I'm about to use this motor as a boat anchor!

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
My engine has about two full tanks run through it and it just won't clear its throat. It's 20 inch and I would say top speed is about 15 mph. I've played with the C clip on the carb nettle,new plug,leaner gas,ect..... It takes off then about half speed it just will not open up!I keep waiting on it to spit a huge lugee out and take off. Anyone got any info. I got it from dax. Duane is a great person to do business with, but this 80cc premium(whatever that means,lol) isn't premium. Maybe it's just still real tight?????????????????????????????????????????????????/

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Did you call dax to see what he suggests. I have not had that happen but I have heard that some of the carb jets are not the right size. But by far I know less than anyone here.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like the case of a overly large main jet.

There are several ways to lean it out...solder the jet closed and re-drill it, or open up the exhaust and air filter a little.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
This may be a stupid question. Where and what is the jet.My exhaust is totally open. Its a straight pipe. Its not the pipe because it ran the same with the factory exhaust.Maybe I should run it for a minute without the air filter on and see if that changes anything. It has ran the same way since the day I bought it, so I doubt its the muffler or a dirty air filter. You don't think its in the magneto do you? It feels like something in the carb.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The jet is the brass thing with the hole in it that the needle goes into, inside the carb. Is your C clip at the top notch? If you can move it up a notch, I'd try that first. If it's too rich, moving it to the top notch should help a little.
I've had a couple that were still too rich at that setting.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I,ve moved it all around Joe. So, if i take the carb out and look down where the needle goes thats my jet? what size should it be? (the plug)Its clean. I really don't know what it should look like,but its a little gray and not oily.I'm running a synthetic oil at 40:1 and i still see oil in the end of my pipe?

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
just for the sake of checking everything . could you get that motor running and unhook the throttle cable at the hand grip on the handlebar and pull on the cable by hand , to see if the motor peaks out . Could it be the twist throttle malfunctioning ?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
just for the sake of checking everything . could you get that motor running and unhook the throttle cable at the hand grip on the handlebar and pull on the cable by hand , to see if the motor peaks out . Could it be the twist throttle malfunctioning ?
Good thought cable adjustment is on top of the carb. the thing that looks like a Buddhist temple

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Toker,

Check everything over methodically...take out the time to do this...time that you can devote to calmly looking everything over. Look for the obvious first!

Most problems end up being simple. Homer Simpson...DOH..is typical.

I break mine in, heavy on fossil oil, 20:1 or more. I doubt your problem has anything to do with the type of oil or the mix ratio, although you really should observe the heavy fossil oil rule for break-in. Look it up on the SAE website, (society of automotive engineers)

Brett Maverick broke his first engine in on outboard oil, because that's what I had in the shop and I told him it wouldn't matter. After finding out we really shouldn't be using marine oil, we pulled his apart and the top end was still like new. There is a logical reason for not using marine oil, and we don't use outboard oil any more. Lesson learned and no harm done.

If you still have problems after another look over let me know....

Jim

Last edited:

midatlanticcycle

Apr 14, 2009
leola, pa.
install stock muffler, drill 2 or 3 quarter-inch holes in bottom cap for breathing, try same amount of holes in back of stock filter. you have to remove carb, drain it, flip it over, remove 2 float bowls screws, let bowl and float come off, the main jet is what you'll be looking at. takes a straight slot screwdriver. sounds like wrong jet from factory. and 20:1 is really, really rich. i like 4 ounces per gallon after break in. but that's me

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Thanks guys! I talked to Dax(he calls you back) yesterday and we dicided to take a carburator off another motor i have and see what happens.I rode it yesterday a little and maybe its just not broke in and I'm not use to a 20 inch wheel.Also, where do ya'll run your throttle cable adjustment? I screw mine out until it starts to idle up.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you do know that you are using a 20" wheel which is 15-20mph with a 44T sprocket and 30-35 mph -26" wheel. what size sprocket do you have. you could get a 38T/34T/32T sprocket for more speed. is your gas tank petcock higher than your carb?
and is your engine broken in yet? you will gain more speed after breakin,like 10mph more.
also it will go faster with less oil.

my c-clip is on 2nd clip from top and i use carb set screw to adjust idle.
and i didnt do nothing to my throttle cable but put it on.

48cc dualstart starfire gt2 grubee 44T sprocket 26" wheels top speed so far 31.5mph

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I ran a kit bike with a twenty inch wheel. It made my life so much easier. Mounting and dismounting from the bike is so much easier for an old man. I never missed the speed at all. Face it the cars are going to pass you no matter what you do. At twenty mph I knew and just smiled.