High/medium/ low grade! What octane for your china girl!

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It depends on compression ratio, most low compression stock engines run fine on 87 octane. The higher the compression the higher the fuel grade should be. I run 87 in both of my bikes with no problems. I do sometimes run 90 octane pure gas when I think to stop by the only station near me that has it.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Gotta run 93 octane premium here too... it's just a waste of money to run it in a stock setup with barely 85 to 90 psi compression pressure, but once you get past 120 psi or so the higher octane premium is needed. Mine reads 145 psi when tested.

topgun

Sep 28, 2014
Oceanside Ca
Thanks for you guys input. I run medium grade just because that's what I use in all my gas powered tools,toy's, and car's. I have a couple toys that I do have to run methanol in a blown alcohol injected big block Hemi and high grade fuel VP c12 in a fully tricked out crf450r, but the most part everything drinks medium grade.

Felt Deep 6

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I used to run the best gas in my Yamaha roadstar just to get the additives they claim to put in it. The bike had an 8.3 to 1 CR so regular was all it needed.
Turns out, in this town, the premium gas gets old/stale in the tanks at the gas station while the 87 is always fresh. I switched to 87 and never looked back.
I'll run 87 in the bicycle and always have fresh gas.