Zbox

GoldenMotor.com

Bill2032

Oct 25, 2008
Sydney
hi my names bill and im 14 ive been looking to put an engine on my bike for ages and i found this aussie made kit called Zbox oh and im looking for a chain drive or belt

MOTORISED BICYCLE ENGINE KIT ZBOX BIKE MOTOR AUSTRALIA 48cc MOPED - AUD$235

but wanted to know with this kit can i still use my bike as a bike like having the engine engaged to drive and disengaged to pedal but will i be able to still use the gears on my mountain bike so i can go in 1st 2nd and so on also are there anytuned pipes for these as i would love to have more power

oh yeah and wat speeds may i be able to get upto on these things and im looking for something with lots of power but about in the $250-$350 price range

Thanks

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Bill, Welcome to the forum glad you joined us :)

Yes you can still pedal your bike like a regular bike with the engine kit. But, their will be more resistance which will make pedaling a little harder.

Speed all depends on your weight and terrain and what sprocket you have. Most kits will come with a 44t sprocket that should get you around 25-30mph. You may want to look into...Welcome to Sick Bike Parts. It's a jack shaft kit for your kit that will allow you to use the gears on your bike.

:ride2:

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Hey I've had a zbox for a year now and there great motors, you can get a kit a bit cheaper off ebay like for as lot as 150 but they sell for about 180.
Stick with your stock sproket cauce it great for hills and for top steed and if you are in Australia is really hard to get a smaller one.

Thanks ,Brad

Bill2032

Oct 25, 2008
Sydney
Hey I've had a zbox for a year now and there great motors, you can get a kit a bit cheaper off ebay like for as lot as 150 but they sell for about 180.
Stick with your stock sproket cauce it great for hills and for top steed and if you are in Australia is really hard to get a smaller one.

Thanks ,Brad
will do but what do you think about the shifting kite etc is there like a ZBOX certified seller on ebay or something

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
well they only sell shifter kits in the us and they are not streat legal. A bike with a motor and gears in not streat legal but a bike with a motor and one gear is streat legal. The kits that sell on ebay come from the same place as zbox motors come from but if you are a first buyer of a motorized bike kit buy from zbox becuase on ebay if something doesn't work well your stuck if something doesn't work with zbox they will help you and replace the broken part for you.

Thanks

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
Hey mate
Yer i got a Zbox engine. i would say probly 1 of the best 2 stroke in the aussie market.
yer iv got a stock engine stock exhause i can get to bout 50km on the flat with no wind.
Im not sure if there is a Zbox seller on ebay. probly just easier to get it from zbox.com

yer and Warren there is real helpful if anything goes wrong.

stephen braithwaite

Nov 9, 2008
Australia
I have bought a zbox engine, and it has taken me a while to set it up on my bike. I
am at the stage where I will soon purchase fuel and put some in the tank
to try it for the first time.

My concern is that the instructions state that you should add loctite to head bolts and torque them to 12...
Well I would have to undo the head bolts to put loctite on the studs. I
am a bit apprehensive about doing this. I have never removed the head
from a motor before.

Merlin

Sep 17, 2008
I've got a Zbox too, I've had no trouble with it at all. Starts first time, every time. Only thing that bothers me a bit is it's a bit noisy, I'm going to look at damping rubbers between thhe fins one of these days...

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Got 2 of my Z80 engines from ZBox... I burned my first one, because the intake gasket got screwed and was not aware of it. My 2nd seems to be still running good, but had a small hole near the exhaust from cast bubbles. I just cold weld it. I cut out my own intake gasket from gasket paper and made sure it covered all area of contact and make a good seal.

You can use the shifter kit from SBP to drive your bicycle gears, tuned pipes from Andy and some other guys. There are lots of products you can find here. Also, a clutch upgrade kit.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I have bought a zbox engine, and it has taken me a while to set it up on my bike. I
am at the stage where I will soon purchase fuel and put some in the tank
to try it for the first time.

My concern is that the instructions state that you should add loctite to head bolts and torque them to 12...
Well I would have to undo the head bolts to put loctite on the studs. I
am a bit apprehensive about doing this. I have never removed the head
from a motor before.
For me, I did not put loctite on the studs. But I did remove the head and put a little head gasket sealant on the aluminum head gasket. I just retightened the bolts and nuts in an 'x' pattern after 1 hour engine run on the first 5 full tanks. After that, the nuts and bolts did not come loose anymore.

For a thorough disassembly intstructions:
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-engine-total-tear-down-391.html

:D

Last edited:

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
I too have a zbox engine.

The latest batch of engines from the new factory are ripper! They use needle roller bearings and very precise also the seals are improved on the older ones.

Be very careful when you take off the engine head that you dont 'twist' the cylinder at all or that the muffler under tension pulls at the cylinder. The gasket seal between the engine and the clylinder (bottom gasket) must be sealed perfectly, if this ever leaks the engine will run lean and dry. order new gaskets for when you clean inside.

Warren is very helpfull and has all spares :)

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
All of his engines for a while now are the new ones from a new factory. They look the same from the outside.

Sounds like you are new to these engines. Make sure you do lots of research on this forum for little hints and tips. They run really well if you know a bit about how they work so you can keep adjusting small things.

Basic advice from me:

Get a bike with a narrow diameter frame so that you can mount the engine without using the adaptor bracket.

Make sure the bike is serviced well.

The back wheel drive sprocket need to be put on really well its a bit fiddly but make sure the bolts are all tightened the same amount and to the same distance screwed in so it runs without a wobble.

Make sure the chain idler is running straight and tightly bolted, the back forks are on and angle so you have to bend it slightly. If this idler comes loose and flips into the spokes its bad news.

Make sure all the bolts are tight but not over tight.

You don't need many tools to do all of this just some mechanical 'Intuition'. If you are not confident then find someone to help you install it.

Blazing Blade

Nov 12, 2008
Australia
I am in Australia and my mate buys the z box engine and fits them to bikes. I have a 50cc fitted in a harley chopper. They go hard and have good fuelconsumptiom, Kem does a full bike with engine foe $450.00

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum by the way scratg

I was going to buy either the ZBox 50 or the Skyhawk 48cc as a first time bike kit, but am undecided on which to get.

Can anyone recommend one over the other as they are pretty much the same price here in oz?

Cheers,
kg78.

Blazing Blade

Nov 12, 2008
Australia
KG 78 I am in Australia also and I highly recomend the zbox 50. The threads and bolts are a standard size etc. My mate builds the bikes and fits the motors as he is an importer. I miss quoted the engine size on my bike it is actually a 80cc n runs beautiful, and first crank Regs BB.trk