Um, Yeah I'm pretty excited.

GoldenMotor.com

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
You can probably see it in my face!! I went to Wal-Mart to look at a couple of things for the house today. I walked by the bikes, and looked at a couple of Schwinns I like. I figured I'd go ahead and drop under two hundred bucks for a decent bike. But, no matter what, I keep going back to that Panama Jack bike, with the cup holder, bottle opener and pleather bag upfront. I'm not a big Huffy guy, but I couldn't argue with the price. 148.00. Talked to this guy who assembles them, and he tells me it's a great bike. I'm asking him how come the Schwinn is cheaper, he said because this specific Huffy is actually pretty decent. And then he took the Huffy out for me, and the Schwinn, and made me ride them both. Then he put them side by side and they were identical. I liked the way the Huffy looks better, but I liked the Schwinn name better. He then told me if I liked bargains, lol, HELLS YEAH! He said they got a return the other day that's missing a front fender, and they would discount it for me. I asked how much, he said, "I dunno, 10, 20 percent". I told him, make it %30 and it's a deal. So, he talked to a manager, and next thing you know, I owe Wally-World 104 bucks for the bike. WOW, what a deal. dance1.
I've been looking to get a bike to motorize. I've been scoping this site, looking at how-to vids ad articles. I'm 30 percent there. I just need a good motor next. Then comes installation. I'm a Jet Engine Mechanic by nature, so I'm not worried about installation, I just wanna ride!!.flg.

So, I'm thinking of a 66-80 CC motor. What do you guys think? Which is a good motor for under 200 Bucks??

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Either motor will work but check out the threads on mounting an engine to an aluminum frame as that is what th PJ is if I am not mistaken... I personally went with the Cranbrook for $89 for the simp-le fact it was a steel frame.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I know you have read this before but check with the DMV in your state on engine size limits. Next you may want to make stronger fender mounts, I have a friend with a delmar that has broke his twice.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Greg, I've checked with the Louisiana DMV web-site. No registration is required for a motorized bicycle or moped if the output hoursepower is under 5 HP reguardless of top speed or engine size.

what, what are you talking about with the fender mounts? I almost bought a delmar, but ended up getting the Panama Jack instead. What's up with the breaking fender mounts??

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
As Mark said the fender braces are weak, remember you are adding alot of vibration to a design that was not built for it. The top mounting bolt will break the tab or the fender will crack. angle iron brackets and washers on the under side helps. My friend made the axle mounts out of 3/4 flat aluminum.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey Don don't worry about using a aluminum frame, I have built or helped build four o/p cruisers. All four have had no frame issues, Mine has over 5oo miles on it. Another has 600, Just make sure you do a pre ride check everytime.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Actually, my frame is Steel. I'm not sure how when everyone is telling me it's aluminum, but I put a magnet on a few parts to it, and it stuck. My wife has a Target beach cruiser, and the magnets don't stick to hers, and I know hers is an aluminum frame.
Anyways, I'm not planning on going to far, or going too fast. It's just for going around the neighborhood, and to experiance the joy of building it. But, I don't want it breaking on me, specially when I have a trailer that's going to be towing my little daughter(s).

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Helmets for the daughters for sure Don! I haven't towed my two kiddies yet, but I wouldn't want them to 1. Watch daddies chain break into his rear spokes, and throw me off the bike, and 2. Then I get to watch where they and the whole rig end up!

Also, if you've got the front cover for the trailer, keep it on always, as you never know what kind of debris or parts the bike may throw at them, even at 20mph.

My daddy-instinct 2 cents is all!

Have fun with your build!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I personaly dont slam anyone for the type or style of bike they build, that to me is up to the wants or needs of the rider. I built mine on a aluminum frame, my friend used steel. Nothing wrong with either, just my thoughts.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Helmets for the daughters for sure Don! I haven't towed my two kiddies yet, but I wouldn't want them to 1. Watch daddies chain break into his rear spokes, and throw me off the bike, and 2. Then I get to watch where they and the whole rig end up!

Also, if you've got the front cover for the trailer, keep it on always, as you never know what kind of debris or parts the bike may throw at them, even at 20mph.

My daddy-instinct 2 cents is all!

Have fun with your build!

For sure. I'm not going to be going faster then 10 maybe, but my 2.5 year old will be buckled in, and the front will be zipped. The other daughter isn't born yet, but she will eventually be a passenger when the time is right.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
be sure to post lots of pictures!!! i myself, always love to see these cruisers come together!!! have fun and ride safe!!

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
hmmm. I've called Raw since 10 AM pacific, and i have not heard anything from them yet. I call every 20-30 min, plus I left 2 voicemails. I hope this isn't their normal customer service.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
i love how my cranbrook rides and looks

panama jack is a cranbrook with accessories

if u go to gasbike or kings its gonna b like 160 shipped for the cheapest 66cc kit

they always send a skyhawk motor

get the heavy chain off the bat and dont use the tensioner on the motor side. your also going to have to cut the rear fender so the chain will clear

front T mount does work, an exhaust clamp would be best

good luck! nice bike man!

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Wow, it always amazes me how rude folks are on this site when we are all on it to help each other or to get help from people who have successfully completed a gas bike.

And yes that is the norm from RAW. They have terrible / no customer service. I have tried to contact them for a month now to warranty TWO engines from them with absolutely no response.

Don’t, I repeat DO NOT EXPECT ANY WARRANTY OR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM THESE FOLKS…. The 6 month warranty is a sales gimmick that he has no intention to stand behind, nor will any of the vendors on this site or on the web offer any help concerning RAW , RAW contact info, or any suggestions on how to resolve the problem.

Absolutely horrible to do business with…….. I say we boycott them…. Any one with me?

I talked to a vendor on this site that hands down recommends RAW and states that he exclusively uses them for his builds. their is a thread i will try to find where he states this on this site. when i asked if he knew how to get ahold of the guy from raw and said that he had a number that he calls to get him direct and said he would not give it to me. i then asked him if he sells the RAW engines and he said flat out NO I DO NOT.... here are a few links that prove otherwise; http://venicemotorbikes.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=44 ,
now im not exactly trying to throw any body directly under the buss but what ever happened to honesty?? i was lied to. i don't respect 2 faced sales people especially with these engines that often need help.. especially when they have a stellar 6 month warranty!!

Go to that’s dax . I contacted them and the most pleasant old lady answered and helped me like a PRO.

Any who, I just had a few points to comment on,
First, I have built both aluminum and steel gas bikes, both have held up well but aluminum has a few different grades in the bike world and an el cheap o aluminum bike over a higher grade bike will probably hit its finite life cycle before the other. Same for steel, a low grade steel frame will crack before a hi-ten or cro-mo frame. No doubt. So aluminum and steel both have the potential to crack…
p.s. nothing rides like a cro-mo mountain bike frame. Crisp and responsive.. a joy if you are hitting some high speed turns all tucked low..

As for the children in the trailer… just remember that at those lower speeds you’re 2stroke will be blowing exhaust laden with mix oil in it. That may not be fun for your children… just wanted to point that out for their safety.. they have propane kits that burn way cleaner, you may need to go all semi truck with some big stacks! Lol. I think ive just thought of my next build. Trick my truck bike lol…

Last edited:

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
And i have to say, i have built a lot of bikes and i will admit that i chose the cranny based on the price. yes it is a cheap bike, but does have admirable aspects to it. the spokes are 12g and if properly tuned it is a fine platform.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
So, I called, honestly, 10 different retailers. I called RAW motors from Monday until today. I called 8-10 times per day, left e-mails and phone numbers 2-3 times per day. The way I see it, is if they don't answer the phone or messages for a potential client, they sure as **** won't when I paid for the engine, and have a problem. I called many other places, too. I called them about 11 Pacific, till probably 4 pm pacific, and still nothing. I didn't even want to call gasbike or their affiliates. But, they didn't pick up, either. If they don't pick up now, they sure as **** won't help me when I have a problem, know what I mean??
So, I called Piston bikes. Talked to Robert. he steered me towards the cheaper engine, because he said he likes the carburetor better. He said, if you want to pay 10$ more for an inferior product, but I'd rather save you the money.
So, I ended up getting the 66cc Jet engine, a springer front end, plus a nice wide and cushioned saddle. The only thing is the shipping was 49$. Other then that, everything was great...
I should have it by Monday. I might try to hook it up by the weekend. But, if not, next weekend I will be riding!!

YAAAAAAY!!!

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
So, I called, honestly, 10 different retailers. I called RAW motors from Monday until today. I called 8-10 times per day, left e-mails and phone numbers 2-3 times per day. The way I see it, is if they don't answer the phone or messages for a potential client, they sure as **** won't when I paid for the engine, and have a problem. I called many other places, too. I called them about 11 Pacific, till probably 4 pm pacific, and still nothing. I didn't even want to call gasbike or their affiliates. But, they didn't pick up, either. If they don't pick up now, they sure as **** won't help me when I have a problem, know what I mean??
So, I called Piston bikes. Talked to Robert. he steered me towards the cheaper engine, because he said he likes the carburetor better. He said, if you want to pay 10$ more for an inferior product, but I'd rather save you the money.
So, I ended up getting the 66cc Jet engine, a springer front end, plus a nice wide and cushioned saddle. The only thing is the shipping was 49$. Other then that, everything was great...
I should have it by Monday. I might try to hook it up by the weekend. But, if not, next weekend I will be riding!!

YAAAAAAY!!!
I have to say I have worked with Robert and Greg at PB on several occasions and they have always come through for me on the parts, delivery and service unlike some of the other internet providers that are hit and miss both before and after the sale for the most part... Good luck with the build and keep us informed. If you are using this engine on an an aluminum frame though (which I am not sure of since the thread got a little convoluted by other points of view) seriously consider to put some pieces of rigid EMT between the frame and clamp to spread the load over a greater area... It really is nice to be able to contact a supplier isn't it?

Last edited: