A new shift concept for the engineers....

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
If I wanted to eliminate the dual chain system and drive from the right side, and I may, I'd look at running through the crank hub. Many automatic car trans have shaft within shaft drives. A engine power hollow shaft running around the crank. On one end of the two you'd have to use a freewheel or oneway bearing. The only drawback is getting most of your gear reduction done on the engine drive side. A hollow tube shaft is nearly as strong as a solid one. Most of the engineering would be in the building building the shaft, and going through lots of bearing catalogs. It would present a problem of how fast you'd need to pedal to get anywhere, but I'm 68, have a Cellphone, if my MB has a problem, and two nice MTBs if I feel like pedalling around the neighbor hood.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the idea behind this thread was to have a single chain left side drive that would be powered by the engine and or pedals, and have gears. no jackshafts needed.
i solved half the problem with my single chain left side drive build. someone just needs to come up with a multisprocket and derailer system for the rear wheel.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
And there is no one here that can reverse engineer:confused: the right side derailer???(build it exactly in reverse)

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I was aware of the jackshaft systems that are available. My thinking was that most of the jackshaft systems end up kind of messy looking on the right side, and using the crank hub would clean that up. The drawback is trying to get a 15-1 gear reduction on the left side, and keep it clean looking. Probably just need a decent chain guard design.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
if you use the BB as a jackshaft you will still need 2 chains. might as well just use 3 chains and the sbp tech already there. the whole idea is to just have one chain.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
You have to find the reduction for the motor too wheel in a transmisson somewhere ,be it open chain or closed in gears(or belt)that leaves bodywork for good looks and safty

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
honda trail and atc's had a 2 speed hi-low selector off the counter shaft. took em apart but i cant remember if its do able cheeply.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Actually the idea behind the thread was to come up with an inexpensive way to easily change gear ratios. Before I totaled my bike and before winter hit I was actually running with two rear left side sprockets, the problem was chain tension. Switching from one sprocket to the next required to much chain for my tensioner to absorb. And my original thought was if some body came up with a decent spring load tensioner similar to the right side derailer than you killed two birds with one stone, minor shifting capabilities and the elusive chain tensioner grail. But then we got side tracked by internal hubs and jackshaft kits.

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
Goodnight guys, will come very enthusiastically following this increasing discussion and I think it's time to also give my contribution.
on this date I'm finishing a project for a friend, it is the engine of a chopper bike nirve. As you are aware this bike team built a cube change (nexus 3 Brek coaster) and the idea was to make the cube move to switch gears,
I think that is not new nor is it to invent anything (someone who has already said there is nothing to invent, because everything is already invented)

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
Hello Jose,
It is good to see you posting. Could you explain how this works? I don't understand, but sure am interested.
SB
Hello Silverbear, is very simple ing motor output pinion transmits the movement and the large wheel siua transmit once on the right side to left side, 'for pos pedals do not rotate with the movement of the engine and also assist with pedal power brings together a one-way bearing, a wheel with 16 teeth fixed transmitted to the hub 3 speed and turn the other wheel 16 tooth chainring will send free, excuse my english

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI jose Pinto

I believe the same thing is accomplised with a 5/8" shaft with a large sprocket attached on the left side and two shaft support bearing and a STATON grooved adapter, a 3 prong sprocket and a free wheel sprocket like you show.

That is, if the 3 speed hub sprocket free wheels like a coaster hub.

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted if you would.

Ron

Last edited: