mnt bike vs cruiser...

GoldenMotor.com

Kraash

Jul 29, 2008
looking to do my first bike mod.. as mine was reacently stolen im in the market for a new one.. so i was wondering,, mountin bike or cruiser.. thoughts?.........

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Depends on what you are looking for, Mt Bikes are typically easier to install the engine kits on, much less modifications needed. Cruisers have some style when done right but typically are a pain to install the kits on because of their frame design. It is all up to personal taste and building ability.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I have one of each. I prefer the cruiser. I don't like the bend over reach the handle bar thing with the mountain bikes. Of course I'm an old fat guy too................:D:D

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You could go with one of the new hybrids and get the best of both worlds. Traditional frame for easy install, lots of gears for pedaling or Pablo/Ghost0's kit, don't lean as far over as a normal mtn bike...

My bike is a mtn bike. but I've found since I don't need to pedal much at all, I can have the seat as low as it goes. That plus raising the handlebars up a bit really helps. I still need to install a new riser bar that will go a little higher and closer to me, and I want some bent handlebars, and that should make things fairly comfy I think.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Sorry about your bike being stolen...that sucks.

I like the cruiser...I always have a pain in my neck after riding a MTB for having to "Look Up"

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Having had a rack mount on both I would probably go with the Cruiser myself.

They are generally stronger and heavier built (always good when adding a motor) and have a nicer riding position. The only proviso I would make to that is a dual suspension mountain bike - probably the most ideal machine of them all..

hope that helped

Jemma xx

Ima Schwinner

Jul 21, 2008
E. Oregon
How is everyone solving the braking issues with a Cruiser? It seems like most cruisers only come with a coaster brake. I'm giving the Felt cruisers a very hard look, and love the fact that they come standard with 12ga spokes and lots of style. If I install a Sturmey-Archer front drum, I've just added more money to already primo bike, and thrown away the first set of perfectly good spokes.

I'm also a little bummed that some of the nicest looking cruisers come with 3" wheels, and I don't think they'll work with the GEBE drive ring.

I've even thought about buying just a Felt frame, then ordering a set of Worksman wheels complete with drum brakes. I guess I could always buy a complete Felt bike and just set the factory wheels aside and install Worksmans.
Is there an "easy route" that I'm missing here?

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
How is everyone solving the braking issues with a Cruiser? It seems like most cruisers only come with a coaster brake. I'm giving the Felt cruisers a very hard look, and love the fact that they come standard with 12ga spokes and lots of style. If I install a Sturmey-Archer front drum, I've just added more money to already primo bike, and thrown away the first set of perfectly good spokes.

I'm also a little bummed that some of the nicest looking cruisers come with 3" wheels, and I don't think they'll work with the GEBE drive ring.

I've even thought about buying just a Felt frame, then ordering a set of Worksman wheels complete with drum brakes. I guess I could always buy a complete Felt bike and just set the factory wheels aside and install Worksmans.
Is there an "easy route" that I'm missing here?
If you are interested in a cruiser that only has a coaster break, you can install front and rear brakes and connect them to a dual brake lever like below. They are $10.99 on Amazon. This will free up space on the handle bars but some fine tuning will have to be done to ensure that the brakes work properly.

Attachments

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Sorry to hear about the bike being stolen.

Some coward stole my 12 volt sealed lead acid battery today while I had my back turned for only 10 minutes. Glad I had the bike cabled-up.

We all learn from our mistakes.

Then, to top it all off, my rear tire went flat (1/8 inch cut). I had to bother my wife (who is sick) to rescue me from 5 miles away. When I got the bike home, I discovered that it would have been an easy over the road fix with a patch kit and a portable pump. So, I picked-up the patches tonight, and intend to carry them with me in my poratble tool kit. I'll try a mock daylight wheel repair in my backyard with only my portable tools.

Lessons learned: #1) always remove battery, even if gone for only 5 minutes. #2) Patches and mini-pump belong in the portable survival kit.

As far as which bike is better, I am strongly biased for the hybrid (mnt+cruiser) style. Having two 2006 Schwinn Skyliners, I'm very pleased with the shock absorption from the front fork (they have an excellent front suspension). These shock absorbers are also very helpful when making emergency braking manuvuers, because the whole bike absorbs the shock, and helps to prevent tendencies for ejecting the rider over the handlbars. The older Skyliners also are solid AND lightweight, and are well-known for having reliably "true" tires. The older Skyliners are also stylish and share many of the comfort features that cruisers have.

In my opinion, the 2008 Skyliners, like most of the other 2008 Schwinn models, have degenerated into the mainstream style. From the newer Schwinns that I see on the racks in the stores, they don't have enough room to mount a 2-cycle engine. I also feel as though they are beginning to look like "Huffies". I hope that this trend is only temporary, much like the temporary changes that Harley Davidson had back in the early eighties, when AMF was running the show.

Hybrid gets my vote.

VaporKing

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
You could also build up a mountain bike like a cruiser,with higher handlebars, a comfy seat, etc. The Rotten Orange build (pics in the photo section) is kindof a cross-breed of the best of both worlds. My bike will be as comfortable as a cruiser with an upright seating position and comfortable seat and handlebars, but will also have the durability and capability to take it offroad when I want to, without fear of it falling apart or damaging it.

The cruiser bikes are definitely cool looking, but for practicality and safety, you really cant beat the modern components found on a good mountain bike. Better brakes, stronger frame and fork.. all this make for a good platform to build on.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
I choose the cruiser for the frame style and size. Looks like an early motorcycle when complete. I added front suspension forks w/v style brake and put the lever on the right side on the handlebars. I slow with the coaster brake and stop using both. No complaints and what a smooth ride!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
More than style and function goes into what makes a bike a cruiser or a mountain bike. Actually early mountain bikes circa pre 1985 were just fancy well built cruisers. The earliest Stumpjumper was a long wheelbase slack angled bike just like a lot of cruisers were. Mountain bikes are raced a lot so the popular ones are styled after what has won a lot of races. The wheelbases are much shorter now and angles are steeper now for the majority of mountain bikes. A short rear end makes fora bike that transfers your power to the ground very efficiently and generally climbs well. Steep angles steer more precisely so you control the bike better. Longer wheelbase makes for a smoother ride and though you may not climb quite as strongly you can decend a little better. Bicycle geometry is a lot of compromises that you need to become familiar with to truly find what you want if you want more than style.

Last edited: