I'm tired of smelling...

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
...like 2-stroke when I get to work or home.

One idea I have is to take a piece of conduit that's laying out in my back yard (hopefully it's the right size), cut the can part of the muffler off, and bend and cut the conduit to extend the muffler all the way back. This way when I'm stopped at a red light, I won't be sitting there sucking down 2-stroke fumes.

Think that'll work? I'd like some extra performance, but I don't have the money for a tuned pipe right now, so that's all I got.

Any other tips to cut the smell down? I think I might get new grips, because my hands smell like 2-stroke quite a bit, which is kind of bizarre.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Be careful adding too much length after the can...bestter to add it between the header pipe and the muffler. These China exhausts are a little short anyhow.

As for the grips- that's not two stroke you are smelling, that's really cheap, unstabilized Chinese rubber....nothin' else like it!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I was planning to put the extra pipe between the mount and the muffler...so I'd cut the muffler pipe and put the extra between there.

Interesting thought on the grips. I guess I'll yank the grips off my blue bike for now til I transfer the motor over to it.

(interestingly enough I was going to move the motor to the blue bike because the pedal chain on the red bike kept skipping, no matter what I did. It all of a sudden stopped. Oh well the blue bike is better anyway)

50ccwannabe

Jun 26, 2008
I was planning to put the extra pipe between the mount and the muffler...so I'd cut the muffler pipe and put the extra between there.

Interesting thought on the grips. I guess I'll yank the grips off my blue bike for now til I transfer the motor over to it.

(interestingly enough I was going to move the motor to the blue bike because the pedal chain on the red bike kept skipping, no matter what I did. It all of a sudden stopped. Oh well the blue bike is better anyway)
I have the same issue with the grip smell. I thought I might have inadvertently gotten gas on the grips working on the bike. Now my second kit arrived and the grips wreak already. Is it easy to change the grip on the accelerator side?

thanks, Jeff

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
have you guys tried the foam grips they are very soft and help with the vibrations cheap too around $4.00 to $10.00 I have them on all my bikes

50ccwannabe

Jun 26, 2008
hmmm, so bicycle grips won't work then, huh? Dang.
Ok, so I just want out to the garage and yanked the old grips. I broke off the little stem that holds the right/accelerator grip. Will have to deal with that screw in there at some point. I slid on some foam bicycle grips from my local retailer. Had them sitting around to go on another bike. A bit tough to get the accelerator one on, but it is. Seems solved to me. Now I will go take a shower, change my clothes and see if I can ride stink free!!

My other stink issue may be: tank that seems to slosh gas when even half full

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hmm, I don't think my tank sloshes gas at all. It's a little greasy, so I'll have to wipe it clean and see what it does after a ride.

Good to know the bike grips work, I'll see if I can't change them out tonight.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Try a little fuel grade castor oil, smells nice. An expansion pipe will put the fumes behind you.
No money for an expansion pipe right now.

Does the castor oil take place of some of the 2-stroke oil? What mix to use? I just bought some new 2-stroke oil and made a gallon last night. Might have to try some castor next time I need gas.

I think this new oil might smell a bit better. The last batch of gas I had was from the guy that sold me the bike. I have a feeling he used one of those little things of weedeater 2-stroke oil. Don't think it smelled quite so much like a weedeater this morning, but it did still stink.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hah I forgot about that stuff. A guy I used to work with raced dirtbikes and would make his exhaust smell like mint or cherry or whatever.

Now that would be funny. I'm riding a motorbicycle and it smells like raspberry to boot, lol.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
yeah, so btw, I used my good grips when I moved the motor gear over to the other bike...no more stinky hands :) and I moved the muffler to the back, so no more stinky clothes :)