trouble with wetsanding final color coat, help!

GoldenMotor.com

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
after doing my best work i could with spray paint, i tried wetsanding the color coat (did 3-4 coats of primer and color) with 1500 grit and it ate right through in places. what the heck? please help.

austin

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Coming through in places are likely to be because of high and low spots in the steal surface. Use a guide coat then possibly a foam block. This will help show you were they are then you can split the difference with your sanding technique.

Using sand paper and just your fingers often exaggerates this problem.

How to Apply Guide Coat for Car Restoration: Classic Car Restoration: Body Work | eHow.com

This should shed light on what I am trying to say. Cheers

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Black lacquer paint is what I like to use for Guide Coat. Gently misted from a distance practice a shot on a piece of card board first. The finer the mist you put on the easier it is to sand without gumming up your paper.:)

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
the wheels are pretty new and they aren't wearing in the same spots, ie the edges, so it isn't highs and lows, which makes this all the more odd. i just don't get it, i'm wet sanding and smoothing most areas fine but some are allt he way through the paint. maybe i should post pictures.

highlander

Oct 1, 2010
canada
hello 1500 g is way to course to sand a spraybomb if you can try to get 2500 grit or even 3m triazc 3000 and use water with just a drop of a soft liquid soap helps to keep the paper from biteing in . hope this helps you :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When you use a guide coat you will know when to stop sanding. How? Very simple when the Guide is is gone.

Highlander is right 1500 is a we tad rough for the minimal millimeter thickness of spray can paint. There is not a lot of solids in typical spray can paint.

Last edited: