Question from new guy

GoldenMotor.com

Scrooge1

Jul 8, 2010
Machesney Park, IL
I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if I ask dumb questions or cover ground everyone is familiar with. I am on the verge of building my first bike. The Illinois law was just changed to make unlicensed bikes with less than 50cc motors legal to ride anywhere you can ride a pedal bike. Previously, you couldn't license a home made bike. Therefore, you could ride one on the street.

Here is my first, but probably not my last question. I found a 50cc engine on eBay: 49cc Motor Bicycle kit Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE Z50 with the brand name BoyGoFast. It has a "Buy It Now" price $99.95. The engine is built in China. The item number is 190412084636. Is anyone familiar with this engine? It looks like the kit would be pretty simple, and if you purchased a new bike it wouldn't have to have great components. It would just need to be sturdy.

I'm looking for any advice or help that you guys can offer. Thanks.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Got nearly 1000 miles on my BGF 66cc motor and I've had very little trouble.

xzackx

Jun 30, 2010
morgan county, OH
idk about that one i got a daemon bikes motor from amazon.com for 129.99 +shipping=169.99 and got 70 miles on it really good engine so far no breakdowns

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm not suggesting you break the law or anything, but it is pretty hard to tell looking at the motors if is is 50cc or 66cc. The 66 are pretty much standard now as just about everybody running a China girl engine goes with the slightly higher powered one. Neither is a powerhouse, so I appreciate the little extra boost from the 66. Some hills I can climb under just motor power with the 66 I can not with a 50. Even with the 66 people do what they can to improve the power, not necessarily to go faster, but for the engine to run better and have a bit more torque. Nothing is stamped on the motor saying what it's displacement is.
BGF has great prices and quick shipping. I have run several and then I got a dud which I was stuck with. I have decided since to pay a little more up front for better customer service. There are some fine vendors who advertise on this forum who do give good customer service. Dax and Pirate are ones I've had good experiences with. Sometimes the cheapest is more expensive in the long run...
SB

essah

Jun 17, 2010
LA
I just installed my first friction drive, I've pumped the tires, checked everything else, but I cannot get this bike to reach top speeds for nothing. I am using a clutch from this kit as my throttle. It spins the roller pretty fast but could this be reducing my speed, or something. I'm trying not to have to buy the lever style throttle from offline

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just installed my first friction drive, I've pumped the tires, checked everything else, but I cannot get this bike to reach top speeds for nothing. I am using a clutch from this kit as my throttle. It spins the roller pretty fast but could this be reducing my speed, or something. I'm trying not to have to buy the lever style throttle from offline
essah,
You should start a new thread for your question. It would also be good to give more information on what the motor is and pictures are always a big help. Is this home made, a kit, what?
SB